How strong is your Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProperPrincess

Reaction score
Oh my god I'm in love! Shellac love! I've always had shellac but now I've invested! I did my nails in tutti fruity with zillionaire late yesterday afternoon!

Then I went off for a three hour game of baseball!

I didn't have one chip or anything! And by god my hands went through the mill. I broke a finger... But my shellac is still perfect!

What do u put your shellac though? I'm so surprised!

And I've for three weeks booked for shellac which more than covers my investment!

I scrub out a parrot cage every day without gloves (runs off and hides at not taking own advice :Scared:) however he attacks rubber gloves

And still perfect :Love:after 10 days

Vicki x

I scrub out a parrot cage every day without gloves (runs off and hides at not taking own advice :Scared:) however he attacks rubber gloves

And still perfect :Love:after 10 days

Vicki x

My gosh thats brilliant. Another game of baseball for me today so let's see how mine holds up. Very impressed so far! X

It is all very well throwing everything you can at Shellac to see how well it holds up, but we do say Shellac will last much longer than polish with 'normal wear and tear'! So why abuse it? Shellac is not indestructible so why try to wreck it before your 2-3 weeks is up?

Frankly I do not know what some people do to Shellac. :eek: ?? as I get minimum 2 weeks wear out of mine ... Sometimes I get the odd chip on my index finger as I use my iPad and phone so much but if I do I just give the end a gentle file and they look perfect again. You cant keep tapping the end of a nail a trillion times a day and not expect something to give eventually.

I have said it before, do not give clients false promises of perfect wear no matter what they do; perfect wear is conditional. Clients need to keep their fingers out of their mouths for a start, stop picking for another and stop throwing the book at their nails to see how strong they are; not get carried away and grow their nails too long (another thing many do, and it is tempting but it is also tempting damage). In other words, to use some common sense.

I find one thing to look out for is familiarity. First few appointments clients tend to take care and have a good experience .... After a few appointments they start to take liberties and are not so careful and then problems can start.

Clients need reminding from time to time ... Gently ... that they need to remember that Shellac is not indestructible, and neither is gel, neither are enhancements. They need to remember that their therapist has not changed, Shellac has not changed; what has changed is their behaviour and they must take responsibility for that.

I really wasn't throwing anything at it to see how long it lasts. I was fully prepared to have to redo my nails but didn't have to. :) that's why I was impressed. I was going to wait until after the match to do them but I wanted to show them off. Out of 15 of them none of them knew what shellac was.... They do now :) 2 girls booked in but I think tonight I'll get some more bookings x

I am good at looking after myself x For dishes and cleaning the gloves come on and I do use solar oil. baseball is the only thing that's "destructible"

I think your right people do become complacent with treatments. When lashing people slack and start using baby wipes and such. Very annoying!

I will take your advice and gently remind everyone.

Xxx

I really wasn't throwing anything at it to see how long it lasts. I was fully prepared to have to redo my nails but didn't have to. :) that's why I was impressed. I was going to wait until after the match to do them but I wanted to show them off. Out of 15 of them none of them knew what shellac was.... They do now :) 2 girls booked in but I think tonight I'll get some more bookings x

I am good at looking after myself x For dishes and cleaning the gloves come on and I do use solar oil. baseball is the only thing that's "destructible"

I think your right people do become complacent with treatments. When lashing people slack and start using baby wipes and such. Very annoying!

I will take your advice and gently remind everyone.

Xxx

Princess, I was not 'getting' at you in particular ... Just using you to make a general point to others (as I often do in my posts).

Many technicians are constantly changing their Shellac At the drop of a hat! All technicians should keep their Shellac on for at least 14 days, and then change it. Much healthier for nails. Wear a glove during prep and removal to protect your 'using hand' from the effects of D-Solve. Remembering to glove up will prolong the life of your Shellac.

Princess, I was not 'getting' at you in particular ... Just using you to make a general point to others (as I often do in my posts).

Many technicians are constantly changing their Shellac At the drop of a hat! All technicians should keep their Shellac on for at least 14 days, and then change it. Much healthier for nails. Wear a glove during prep and removal to protect your 'using hand' from the effects of D-Solve. Remembering to glove up will prolong the life of your Shellac.

Oh I know that. I'm not sensitive sue don't worry lol

I didn't want u think I thought "right let's take up baseball and see how the shellac holds up" I just wanted pretty nails and fortunately it was fab!

I haven't got time to keep redoing mine really. 4 children make that rather difficult! Lol

I will wear gloves for removal as I wouldn't want to damage my own nails. I don't wear gloves in general though? Is that wrong? X

Oh I know that. I'm not sensitive sue don't worry lol

I didn't want u think I thought "right let's take up baseball and see how the shellac holds up" I just wanted pretty nails and fortunately it was fab!

I haven't got time to keep redoing mine really. 4 children make that rather difficult! Lol

I will wear gloves for removal as I wouldn't want to damage my own nails. I don't wear gloves in general though? Is that wrong? X

I rarely ever wear gloves for everyday household jobs ... Always in the sink without gloves (I brought up 5 children myself so I know what you are talking about). .. But, filthy jobs like cleaning the BarBQ or washing the car or scrubbing anything ... Then I do. I'm pretty slack really apart from my SolarOil ... I never forget to use it every morning because I also use it as my moisturiser.
So I consider I am normal in the abuse that I give my nails and Shellac still holds up. So when We have clients who moan about one nail chipping, I'm afraid they just get told!! Lol

Hi, sorry to hi-jack the thread but geeg can you recommend which gloves to use to removal. The ones I have used so far all melt with d-solve....thanks x

I rarely ever wear gloves for everyday household jobs ... Always in the sink without gloves (I brought up 5 children myself so I know what you are talking about). .. But, filthy jobs like cleaning the BarBQ or washing the car or scrubbing anything ... Then I do. I'm pretty slack really apart from my SolarOil ... I never forget to use it every morning because I also use it as my moisturiser.
So I consider I am normal in the abuse that I give my nails and Shellac still holds up. So when We have clients who moan about one nail chipping, I'm afraid they just get told!! Lol

Ha ha my thought initially was.. If mine holds up with 4 kids under 7 then don't come moaning to me. But I better be a bit more approachable and adaptable :)

BBQ...I leave that to the man of the house. In case I ruin a nail :) xxx

My son's girlfriend had shellac toes last year when she popped in to the stables to see her friend, not thinking as she wasn't riding she had flip flops on. A horse trod on her foot! 3 broken bones but shellac intact and DR at A&E said that the shellac had actuallly saved a toenail!

Hi, sorry to hi-jack the thread but geeg can you recommend which gloves to use to removal. The ones I have used so far all melt with d-solve....thanks x

I actually use a house-hold glove but in a super small size so that it doesn't look like I am about to wash up the dishes .. I find it lasts the longest, but I do have to replace them ... not too often, I have never actually timed it to see! :biggrin:

My take on this question would be that it will last longer, the stronger the nail underneath it.

I find clients with pretty strong natural nails are going 4/5 weeks, and doing all sorts.

But my clients with just average nails are going 2, and if they are not careful the amount of movement in the nail when they do certain activities can give way to the odd chip, whereas my clients with stronger nails can be much rougher.

By calling it a 14 day manicure, nobody is disappointed, and a good 60/70% are thrilled because they are getting a "bonus" week or more out of it. And we all love a good bargain:Love:

My take on this question would be that it will last longer, the stronger the nail underneath it.

I find clients with pretty strong natural nails are going 4/5 weeks, and doing all sorts.

But my clients with just average nails are going 2, and if they are not careful the amount of movement in the nail when they do certain activities can give way to the odd chip, whereas my clients with stronger nails can be much rougher.

By calling it a 14 day manicure, nobody is disappointed, and a good 60/70% are thrilled because they are getting a "bonus" week or more out of it. And we all love a good bargain:Love:

Funny you should say that Blossom. I have a lady who has had shellac for around a year now. At first she would get chips ect but her nails were a bit flaky and omg what a picker (I work with her so the hands were slapped a few times. :)
Now with using solar oil and the fear of abuse by me her nails are lovely and we have just worked out this Shellac was done 29 days ago( I took the pic this morning) just some wear on the edge of one.
I know not good to do this but she is hard to pin down
Vicki xx
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1337261583.621205.jpg

A got the feel of your post, Princess. I understand, too, Gigi's follow up post. We have to take proper care of our Shellac. But HOLY CRAP!...Shellac is amazing, right?!

My nephew had a parents vs. players baseball game. I participated. Shellac intact.

I went bowling the next day with my son and his girl. Shellac intact.

I played racquetball two days later. Shellac intact.

I freakin' love this stuff!

@ Dream Nails --- that is exactly what I mean by working together with the client. If their nails are not in the best of condition TELL them up front --- they then are realistic in their expectations and they love watching the improvement in the condition of their nails.

@ Blossom --- no different to any other nail service, the stronger and healthier the nails the longer ANYTHING lasts on the top of them. It doesn't take a genius does it to figure that out, right? What should be different about Shellac in that respect?

@ Tammy --- Baseball ? Bowling? You are living the high life girlfriend!! I fancy more another LONG lunch at Tommy Bahamas myself. xx

@ Tammy --- Baseball ? Bowling? You are living the high life girlfriend!! I fancy more another LONG lunch at Tommy Bahamas myself. xx

With you, Gigi, I'd leave the baseball and the bowling behind. You're too much fun for that. We'd go drinking and carousing.

Just don't tell Simon.

With you, Gigi, I'd leave the baseball and the bowling behind. You're too much fun for that. We'd go drinking and carousing.

Just don't tell Simon.

He can be our driver!! lol He'd do it too! He thought you were smart cookie and a cutie to boot!! I told him the boot part was right lol ... ONLY kidding!

He can be our driver!! lol He'd do it too! He thought you were smart cookie and a cutie to boot!! I told him the boot part was right lol ... ONLY kidding!

Then designated driver he is and a night of debauchery shall be on our agenda the next time you come to town.

As long as we're back by 7:30 pm....that's my bedtime.

I love baseball! Another game tonight and shellac in tact! But my legs are not! Xx

Latest posts

Back