How to achieve this look?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulamaula

Reaction score
Hi guys n gals,

Any tips on how to achieve this look on the ring finger. Do i just tap on glitter to the sticky layer? Or brush it on..is there a specific method would anyone know? X

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-10-23-23-20-15.png
    Screenshot_2015-10-23-23-20-15.png
    801.5 KB · Views: 250
Hi guys n gals,

Any tips on how to achieve this look on the ring finger. Do i just tap on glitter to the sticky layer? Or brush it on..is there a specific method would anyone know? X
After applying my third coat I sprinkle the glitter on while
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1445639446.889676.jpg
shellac/Gel is still wet then cure..then brush over the nail and apply the top coat! Usually need 2 top coats to smooth the nail xx
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1445639379.657817.jpg

When I use glitter, I apply it to the uncured gel. When I'm doing that look you are wanting, I use a small brush and sort of dab it on, (solid glitter at cuticle area, then sort of stipple the glitter sparingly up the nail) you can get more control for the sort of 'ombré' effect that way. Then I cure under the lamp. Then brush excess glitter off (shouldn't be too much after you've cured), then top coat and cure. Buff with a foam buffer as may still be a bit bumpy, then another layer of top coat. Hope that made sense! Pretty easy to do, just more time consuming so I charge extra for rockstar nails xx

When I use glitter, I apply it to the uncured gel. When I'm doing that look you are wanting, I use a small brush and sort of dab it on, (solid glitter at cuticle area, then sort of stipple the glitter sparingly up the nail) you can get more control for the sort of 'ombré' effect that way. Then I cure under the lamp. Then brush excess glitter off (shouldn't be too much after you've cured), then top coat and cure. Buff with a foam buffer as may still be a bit bumpy, then another layer of top coat. Hope that made sense! Pretty easy to do, just more time consuming so I charge extra for rockstar nails xx
Emma.... Great explanation and so hPpy you're being smart and charging more. I just want to clarify, you say 'I apply to the incured gel' do you mean the sticky layer once it has gone in the lamp? If it hadn't been cured at all you would be applying to wet gel... Does that make sense... I just don't want a Newby to be confused IYKWIM...

Emma.... Great explanation and so hPpy you're being smart and charging more. I just want to clarify, you say 'I apply to the incured gel' do you mean the sticky layer once it has gone in the lamp? If it hadn't been cured at all you would be applying to wet gel... Does that make sense... I just don't want a Newby to be confused IYKWIM...

Haha sorry, I'm a nightmare at explaining clearly! Yea I apply the first coat of gel as normal and cure. Then I apply glitter to the second (or third) uncured wet gel layer. Find much more glitter sticks and I can also work the glitter better that way; useful when doing an ombré glitter [emoji4] x

Haha sorry, I'm a nightmare at explaining clearly! Yea I apply the first coat of gel as normal and cure. Then I apply glitter to the second (or third) uncured wet gel layer. Find much more glitter sticks and I can also work the glitter better that way; useful when doing an ombré glitter [emoji4] x

Emma this is a dangerous practice as your uv light will not be able to penetrate through the glitter. This will leave uncured gel on the nails, which will lead to overexposure and ultimately a much higher risk of an allergic reaction for your client. Glitter should only be stuck to the sticky top film left on the nails after curing.

The picture show has a high density of glitter because the glitter is very finely milled, if you use craft glitter it will be chunkier so there will be little gaps left and it won't look as dense. Also craft glitter is know to contain allergens like nickel and cobalt chloride and is not suitable for use in nail coatings, again you are leaving you clients open to over exposure.

Use a glitter that is meant for the nails, like Lecente, and pack the glitter on at the cuticle area like you would pack and eyeshadow onto your lid. Then with a very light pressure brush the excess off the nails going side to side at the cuticle to get rid of the bulk of the excess glitter, the from cuticle to free edge when there is hardly any left of the nail, this should fade the glitter nicely for you, also using Lecente glitter means it stays flat on the nail with no bits sticking up so you rarely have to topcoat twice, which means less expense for you, a quicker service and a quicker removal time.

Emma this is a dangerous practice as your uv light will not be able to penetrate through the glitter. This will leave uncured gel on the nails, which will lead to overexposure and ultimately a much higher risk of an allergic reaction for your client. Glitter should only be stuck to the sticky top film left on the nails after curing.

The picture show has a high density of glitter because the glitter is very finely milled, if you use craft glitter it will be chunkier so there will be little gaps left and it won't look as dense. Also craft glitter is know to contain allergens like nickel and cobalt chloride and is not suitable for use in nail coatings, again you are leaving you clients open to over exposure.

Use a glitter that is meant for the nails, like Lecente, and pack the glitter on at the cuticle area like you would pack and eyeshadow onto your lid. Then with a very light pressure brush the excess off the nails going side to side at the cuticle to get rid of the bulk of the excess glitter, the from cuticle to free edge when there is hardly any left of the nail, this should fade the glitter nicely for you, also using Lecente glitter means it stays flat on the nail with no bits sticking up so you rarely have to topcoat twice, which means less expense for you, a quicker service and a quicker removal time.

Oh god really?! Iv always done this with no problems [emoji15] Will definitely start applying to the sticky layer instead. I don't get a huge amount of requests for rockstar nails so luckily I've not done a lot but will definitely not apply to uncured gel again! Thanks for the advice x

Latest posts

Back