How to address hygiene issue to client tactfully?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi I would love some pointers on how to deal with clients hygiene issues when doing intimate waxing. I find majority of my clients all clean before attending a Hollywood wax appointment but I've had a couple of occasions where a client was not clean and there was a bit of a mess towards the back also which made me heave. I have thought about addressing the hygiene issue but without causing offense, which I'm doing to do now cos I can't cope with the smell of poo. During my training the trainer said to wipe for them in a quick way to avoid offence but I don't want to. Has anyone experienced this and what you advise pls?!!?

Provide intimate cleansing wipes, I usually have the wipe( in an individual sachet), paper knickers and a lap towel ready on the treatment couch for the client and tell them what to do to prepare. Be as straight forward and as matter of fact as you can be.
I hope it helps, not a nice situation.

I put everything on the couch, wipes, pants etc and tell them to wipe everywhere front and back and put it in the bin, most of he clients I did were regulars so knew the drill but just be straightforward with it.

I only really had a problem with one lady as she had quite big inner labia, she used to wipe but miss bits so I used to just quickly go over the bits she missed, I never said anything about it and she used to keep coming to me

Hi I would love some pointers on how to deal with clients hygiene issues when doing intimate waxing. I find majority of my clients all clean before attending a Hollywood wax appointment but I've had a couple of occasions where a client was not clean and there was a bit of a mess towards the back also which made me heave. I have thought about addressing the hygiene issue but without causing offense, which I'm doing to do now cos I can't cope with the smell of poo. During my training the trainer said to wipe for them in a quick way to avoid offence but I don't want to. Has anyone experienced this and what you advise pls?!!?

You aren’t actually supposed to clean your clients bikini area, HABIA states they should be doing this themselves. I leave a spray bottle and 2 cotton pads, one for front and one for back. Even if they come all the time or ‘I just had a shower though,’ then I am even more insistent. It’s the ones that think they are clean enough that are the dirtiest.

If it’s not good enough, you can’t do your job so say something like ‘oh you missed a bit please can you clean yourself thoroughly front then back with this.’

Or keep it light and say ‘oh hun can you clean that off for me before I continue’ then point and look away while they do it.

If it happens often and is severe explain that wax doesn’t stick to poo and that you need a higher level of personal hygiene here so you can do your job.

You have to be honest and brutal sometimes because they just don’t understand how bad it is.

You do not have to stand for this. Having poo in your work area is disgusting. We are not doctors or nurses. If someone cannot take care of that basic hygiene by wiping their bottom then I have no idea why they would want a wax. So weird!!!

You might be better with big baby wipes rather than cotton pads so they cover more area.

good luck

I give my clients an aloe Vera wipe and I ask them to moisturise their skin with it. I explain that my wax is quite "grippy" so it is particularly important that they hydrate in the intimate areas where I will be waxing.

If they miss a bit I avoid that area.

I reason that if they obviously can't find this area to clean themselves they are hardly going to find the hair there either. I note their card "use of wipe needs to be carefully explained to client". I don't care if they are not happy and never return.

When I started I used to have a few clients with hygiene issues, but not any more. My loyal, returning clients are all daisy fresh.

Provide intimate cleansing wipes, I usually have the wipe( in an individual sachet), paper knickers and a lap towel ready on the treatment couch for the client and tell them what to do to prepare. Be as straight forward and as matter of fact as you can be.
I hope it helps, not a nice situation.

thanks will defo give this a try :0

I give my clients an aloe Vera wipe and I ask them to moisturise their skin with it. I explain that my wax is quite "grippy" so it is particularly important that they hydrate in the intimate areas where I will be waxing.

If they miss a bit I avoid that area.

I reason that if they obviously can't find this area to clean themselves they are hardly going to find the hair there either. I note their card "use of wipe needs to be carefully explained to client". I don't care if they are not happy and never return.

When I started I used to have a few clients with hygiene issues, but not any more. My loyal, returning clients are all daisy fresh.

thanks, i like the idea if they miss a bit to avoid the area makes sense, hopefully wipes will be the way forward! :)

You aren’t actually supposed to clean your clients bikini area, HABIA states they should be doing this themselves. I leave a spray bottle and 2 cotton pads, one for front and one for back. Even if they come all the time or ‘I just had a shower though,’ then I am even more insistent. It’s the ones that think they are clean enough that are the dirtiest.

If it’s not good enough, you can’t do your job so say something like ‘oh you missed a bit please can you clean yourself thoroughly front then back with this.’

Or keep it light and say ‘oh hun can you clean that off for me before I continue’ then point and look away while they do it.

If it happens often and is severe explain that wax doesn’t stick to poo and that you need a higher level of personal hygiene here so you can do your job.

You have to be honest and brutal sometimes because they just don’t understand how bad it is.

You do not have to stand for this. Having poo in your work area is disgusting. We are not doctors or nurses. If someone cannot take care of that basic hygiene by wiping their bottom then I have no idea why they would want a wax. So weird!!!

You might be better with big baby wipes rather than cotton pads so they cover more area.

good luck

Thanks
big baby wipes made me laugh but seriously will be the way forward. This is exactly how i felt, it was disgusting.!

Intimate wipe on the bed. I inform my client there’s a wile in the bed to freshen up and show them the bin to discard of it.

I have hot towels in my salon room and offer clients a baby wipe or hot towel to freshen up with. My first ever full Brazilian customer had a smelly back area and I was mortified.

I can’t believe anyone would “avoid the area.” I wax with no knickers and as soon as they’re in the door they’re undressed and on the bed. I use PR cleanser and a pad or a baby wipe to quickly wipe the bum (I do back on hands and knees) then I dry with tissue, apply oil or talc and then wax them. Turn over and do the same. I’ve only ever had a couple of people that weren’t clean enough but I just wipe and carry on. Can’t believe you lot are pussyfooting around, just get on with it!

I totally agree with Cloughers on this. If you're trained in intimate / Brazilian wax services it's all part & parcel of your job. As they say.... **** happens. You will come into contact with all sorts of bodily fluids. It doesn't necessarily mean that someone has shoddy hygiene or is "unclean". Stop being so judgy and just "wipe it and wax it" !! As for telling someone that they don't measure up to your standards of hygiene or pointing out that they have a ****ty backside..... That's one way to lose a client and kill your professional rep.

Perfectly fine to hope for a lovely fresh client and most are. My advice would be to leave you client wipes and say to freshen up before they pop onto the bed. If any area has been missed, breathe through your mouth and if you are skilled in intimate waxing, it will all be over before you can say Zoflora. Happy waxing

I'm not judging. Everyone has their niche. I work on a tight schedule and I'm quite high end. I can't have my treatment room stunk out with poo in my bin and I don't want a stinky poo filled bin in my clean up area where I wash tools and drinking glasses and cups. I also don't want to work in a stinky salon. My bin bags go home in my car as my commercial waste pick up is from my home. I don't want poo in my car - sometimes the bin bags sit on the back seat, next to the baby seat for my grandchild. I expect my clients to be Eco friendly and take their poo home with them - not leave me with their waste problem.

Latest posts

Back