How to apply nail foil?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rachel Halsall

Reaction score
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1509303101.853317.jpg

I’m new to doing acrylics and still learning all the tricks.

I bought some nail foil, it came in sheets, but it isn’t transferring onto the nail - I think it’s the one you cut and stick on.

I wanted the foil like the image ... that looks like it has been dabbed on.

Does anyone know where I can get this & if it is called something different ? X

I bought a special foil glue that went with the foils. Just applied the glue all over which came out milky whiteish, let it go clear. Then dab on the foil in quick bursts to get that scattered effect as in the pic. Or you could paint the glue on in a specific design like stripes or zebra and again dab the foil as before over the nail and you have a failed design x

Make sure you are sticking it backing side onto the nail (ie; colour/design facing UP)
I have used foil glue and find it does the job :) but you can also apply to the tacky layer of gel polish after curing. Some brands leave more of a tacky layer than others. If you find yours isn't sticking, apply a thin layer of your base gel and cure. Base gel is always tacky :)

Aren’t those flake foil that come in a pot???

Adhesive foil - gel color - cure - press foil against nail with pressure where u want the foil to transfers - top coat - cure

Pot Foil - acrylic - gel color - pick foil piece up with tweezer - place where u like it - Top coat
Or
Pot/cut foil (acrylic) - thin acrylic color - pick - place foil on acrylic where still little wet - layer with clear acrylic - top coat

They sell it on AliExpress, bornprettystore, and many other place.

I like to place my order on aliexpress because it cheap especially when trying out product (shipping take awhile) before spend money on expensive one for client.

Last edited:
View attachment 206331

I’m new to doing acrylics and still learning all the tricks.

I bought some nail foil, it came in sheets, but it isn’t transferring onto the nail - I think it’s the one you cut and stick on.

I wanted the foil like the image ... that looks like it has been dabbed on.

Does anyone know where I can get this & if it is called something different ? X

Hi Rachel,
You can most probably achieve this by using the foil you bought by dabbing it on however you probably need to apply foil adhesive first. Not all gel polish/gels are sticky enough on their own. Some are some are not.
I have YouTube videos showing my techniques which are fail proof for me. Search Bels Gels on YouTube. The videos are a dew years old however I still use the same technique to this day.

I get great results with my foil application because I use foil adhesive every time. Also make sure you top coat twice to try and eliminate peeling.

Last edited:
If you use shellac, you can press the foil straight onto the dispersion layer before you top coat ;)

My foils come in a sheet and with a glue which goes on after gel colour is cured. When glue goes clear dab the foil quickly where u want it

Attachments

• 1509762293514.jpg
    1509762293514.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 176
  • 1509762312329.jpg
    1509762312329.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 175
Hi Rachel,
You can most probably achieve this by using the foil you bought by dabbing it on however you probably need to apply foil adhesive first. Not all gel polish/gels are sticky enough on their own. Some are some are not.
I have YouTube videos showing my techniques which are fail proof for me. Search Bels Gels on YouTube. The videos are a dew years old however I still use the same technique to this day.

I get great results with my foil application because I use foil adhesive every time. Also make sure you top coat twice to try and eliminate peeling.

I agree with this advice and if you haven't already, watch Bel's Gels tutorial on this technique, I watched it ages ago and she's really good at teaching professional techniques.
(And I may possibly be biased because she's in the same town as me ;) )

Good luck with it, you'll get there and enjoy practicing...there are so many lovely foils out there, so many beautiful nails to create!

I agree with this advice and if you haven't already, watch Bel's Gels tutorial on this technique, I watched it ages ago and she's really good at teaching professional techniques.
(And I may possibly be biased because she's in the same town as me ;) )

Good luck with it, you'll get there and enjoy practicing...there are so many lovely foils out there, so many beautiful nails to create!

Thank you for your lovely comment Rhyanna, you have made my day x

Latest posts

Back