How to avoid hot roots-advice needed!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esmith7713

Reaction score
I'm trying to help my wife and we're looking for advice! I've searched everywhere but have been unable to get some advice so i hope someone here can help! Some background: She is 50 and has a lot of gray. her hair has been previously colored and is a medium brown. She wanted to go more reddish brown/ mahogany. She used Madison Reed Trieste Red https://www.madison-reed.com/product/trieste-red two weeks ago. All in all it looks great now, a really nice brownish red.

However, after the application of the Trieste she ended up with "hot" roots - about 2" of brighter red, when compared to the lengths. however, in about a week it faded so the hot roots are much less noticeable and is something she can live with. we both really love the color and would like to continue with it. i have a few questions for the experts:
--how can we avoid hot roots next time?
--the colorist at Madison Reed provided the following advice for next time: either color only the roots and let them process for 45 minutes. OR if we want to refresh the overall color, we would do the roots, wait 30 minutes and then do the rest of the hair and wait for another 15 minutes, adding that this would make her hair redder (which is OK), but it would also further the look of the hot roots (not ok).

I've done some research and have read about various suggestions: doing a deep conditioning prior; being careful to not putting the color too close to the scalp because of the heat generated from the scalp; doing the roots first to allow more time to process and doing the roots last for less time to process! We really need some clear cut advice to continue using this great color but also avoid or at least minimize the hot roots - and if a bit redder hair is a byproduct of the suggestions, then that's ok too! thank you in advance!

Who is Madison reed? None of the above will combat hot roots, hair colouring is a science, there are formulations & variables here to be taken into consideration, we are professional hairdressers here so we can't really advise on what to do with the type of colour your using, why dosent your wife go to a salon for a colour?

I looked at the link, I see it's a colour brand for home use...

We're not going to be able to help with this I don't think, one thing I will say tho is if you paint a white sheet of paper with red paint what will you see?
If you Paint a black piece of paper with the same shade of red what will you see?

There is too much technical stuff to explain to advise you how to not get hot roots and were not allowed to step by step explain to non pros how to colour hair at home, I suggest a salon or a cheaper alternative is a training school / college for the next colour service, she won't have hot roots then :)

OK- thank you both for the replies. Surf girl -that is a good analogy and I appreciate it. Unfortunately we can't really afford a salon but maybe a school is an option. thanks again

Latest posts

Back