How to avoid scarring?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I am the proud owner of reptiles. Big and small. However much I love my beasts they have taken a liking to tearing my arms apart.

I feel so self concious seeing clients with these on my arm (i normally handle them in hoodies).

What can i use to prevent scarring and infection?

Thanks geeks!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1336341185.176570.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1336341185.176570.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 211
I am the proud owner of reptiles. Big and small. However much I love my beasts they have taken a liking to tearing my arms apart.

I feel so self concious seeing clients with these on my arm (i normally handle them in hoodies).

What can i use to prevent scarring and infection?

Thanks geeks!

Good antibacterial wash first and then treat with bepanthen... this is what you apply to tattoos to encourage a healthy healing process (as well as baby's bums...) - should help but might not prevent all scarring... all depends on the depth and how easily you scar... I sadly scar very easily :(

I have certain areas that scar easier which are my hands!!

They sting just having air on them!

Bio oil.

Jacqui xx

I would suggest bio oil too. It's for any kind of scarring. You can use it as an emollient too and even as a bath oil.

I think it's savalon who also do a scar reduction cream you can rub on. Check your local boots for it :)

Deffinately recommend Bio oil too! It's helped me a lot and I keloid scar.

Bio oil and Aloe vera gel.

Thank you all.

One last question is it ok to apply tan?

Thank you all.

One last question is it ok to apply tan?

The area may be a bit dry, use a barrier cream before you tan to make sure you dont get too much tan absorbing into it and turning orange. I would definitely use bio oil - after its healed using suda cream! HTH's x

I swear by bio oil I'm like a patch work quilt after a car crash and there is a noticeable difference between the scars I used bio oil on and the ones I didn't! I had a really bad cut on my face and I literally soaked it in the stuff and now you really cannot see it unless I point it out!

Make sure you really massage when you apply it as it helps stop the scar tissue tightening.

As a side note I used to only handle my Nile monitor wearing welding gloves until he got used to being handled x

Most beauticians in Australia advise against bio oil as it's petroleum based. Rose hip oil and vitamin E are much gentler.

Sorry to jump in... How soon can you use bio oil ? I'll be having an op on my chest, so will want to use bio oil to help reduce scarring. How early after op can I use it? X

You can use bio oil as soon as the wound is closed I think. I certainly won't be using any on my wounds until my stitches are removed/dissolved after my op (whenever the NHS decide to give me it. Waiting lists are ridiculous!)

You can use bio oil as soon as the wound is closed I think. I certainly won't be using any on my wounds until my stitches are removed/dissolved after my op (whenever the NHS decide to give me it. Waiting lists are ridiculous!)

Thanks hun. NHS Waiting lists are ridiculous! I'm lucky enough to have private medical insurance through my employer, so I saw my GP Friday, got referred and I am in seeing my consultant this Thursday! 6 day turn around! I will never be without PMI now as long as I can afford it, even after this employment, it's worth every penny for the sake of £20-£30 per month! :) hope you're not waiting too long hun xxx

Hi,
Different people scar differently and some are more prone to scarring than others.

People do recommend Bio oil but this is without evidence.

I would recommend washing with a normal antibacterial soap in warm water. After the wound has fully healed/closed the best thing is scar massage.

Scar massage is tedious and boring but has brilliant results. It involves using any moisturiser or silicone gel and massaging the are with firm pressure from you finger for five minutes three times a day for at least a couple of months as this is how long collagen takes to mature. The pressure must be firm enough to make the skin blanch.

Hope that helps

Most beauticians in Australia advise against bio oil as it's petroleum based. Rose hip oil and vitamin E are much gentler.

Yes it does have mineral oil in it. I was informed years ago that apparently petroleum based products trick the skin into thinking its moisturised thereby in turn stopping the body from producing its own natural body oils? So basically once the product has worn off or dried then your skin is left vulnerable. Not sure if this became fact or fiction? However I was recommended silicone strips and then bio oil (once healed and stitches removed) from my plastic surgeon and dermatologist after some pretty heavy surgery (unfortunately not the sort that makes me younger or slimmer lol). It has worked wonders in reducing my scarring :) x

Latest posts

Back