How to be a good boss

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

tonicj

There have been a couple of threads recently about staffing issues. I came across this recently and thought I would share.

1. Realise that management succeeds via the efforts of the workers. Because you're in charge doesn't mean you deserve all the credit for the work being done. Your staff is responsible for the bulk of the work. You are leading them as they get it done to be sure all regulations are complied with ect.

2. Delegate responsibility and then trust your staff. Micro-managers are never appreciated and shows disrespect toward the team member. Once You've trained someone to handle a task, allow them to handle it without interference. Different people have different approaches and someone else's way of doing something may be just as efficient as the way you would do it. Constantly correcting your staff undercuts their confidence and does not allow them to exercise their own style.

3. Know your employees to know your strength. Watch your staff, get to know them as individuals. Understand their motives: Whatever that is do your best to understand. That allows you to enhance, adjust and align their motives with your goals. The cream always rises to the top, and it's your job to figure out which employees do what is required in their jobs, and which employees do all they can in their jobs. There is a huge distinction.

4. Most bad bosses are under the (mistaken) impression that there is something threatening about this, because the bad boss thinks that he/she is the only one who can perform a given function. The truth is, the best boss trusts that his or her staff can be utterly relied upon.

5. Empower your staff to Make Decisions, and don't second-guess them. If you've done a good job of training your staff to be your proxies, then you must believe they are doing their best to act in your (and your company's ) best interest. Even if they make a wrong decision or handle a situation in a way you would not have, don't second guess or berate them. Instead use it as yet another training opportunity. Hear out their reasons for their action - most of the time, when taken in context, there was a logical basis for what they decided to do.

6. Help them to learn to work out issues without your intervention. Sometimes one or more of your staff may experience friction with others. If they come tattling on one another to you, Listen to them carefully. If someone is not fulfilling his own responsibilities or is mistreating another employee you will need to step in and Resolve a Conflict at Work. If you're satisfied it's only an issue of competition or a simple personality clash, urge them to settle it between themselves.

7. Deal with any problems quickly and directly. Any boss who is terribly busy totally understands this concept. "I don't need all the details. Bottom line it for me." you don't have to be so blunt that you crush people, and Be Honest Without Being Harsh is a big time saver and appreciated in the end. Deal with problems quickly and don't nag your staff about it later - let done be done. Remember that your goal is to promote productive behaviour and retain the respect of your employee, NOT to antagonize your staff, particularly in front of others.

8. Tell your staff how much you appreciate them - in front of customers if possible. Never hesitate to pat your employees on the back. Compliment staff and thank them for their excellent service. If customers are there, letting them know how you value your staff can go a long way toward the customers actually having more faith in the services your business provides. When your staff feel valued and appreciated, their job means more to them than simply a paycheck.
9. Show your appreciation by doing things for them. They go the extra mile for your. Do something nice for them.

10. Learn to be an effective listener. Your employees deserve to be heard when they have concerns. Allow them to finish talking before you speak. Acknowledge their points, which does not mean that you agree but does mean that you understand their concerns. Often simply saying "I appreciate your telling me this" is all that's needed to make them feel they were heard.

11. Always say thanks to them for what they do at work.

Warning.

Not everyone is cut out to be the boss. If you are the owner, you might do well to hire a manager who is a good boss to interact with staff.

Things you'll need.

Courage - you have to be brave to relinquish controlling tendencies.

A Positive Attitude - Your staff will mirror you. Staying upbeat will keep them optimistic and happy.

Patience - teaching people to do things your way will take time.

Empathy -understand that your staff are human with needs and feelings, just like you.

Good work ethic - It's especially good when your employees see you working hard because it will drive them to work harder.

Hope this is of some help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great read :)

Jemima :)

Excellent advice x

:)
3 days a week i work for someone else x
And i have the most amazing boss ever!
Shes all of those things
She trained me up in certain things and she totally trusts me in what i do!
She always tells me how much she appreciates me and my hard work x
And she says it to customers too x

Because im leaving next year to have my baby she cried xx
And most of all , all we do in our work place is laugh an it really rubs off on our customers thy love coming in to see us xx

There have been a couple of threads recently about staffing issues. I came across this recently and thought I would share.

1. Realise that management succeeds via the efforts of the workers. Because you're in charge doesn't mean you deserve all the credit for the work being done. Your staff is responsible for the bulk of the work. You are leading them as they get it done to be sure all regulations are complied with ect.

2. Delegate responsibility and then trust your staff. Micro-managers are never appreciated and shows disrespect toward the team member. Once You've trained someone to handle a task, allow them to handle it without interference. Different people have different approaches and someone else's way of doing something may be just as efficient as the way you would do it. Constantly correcting your staff undercuts their confidence and does not allow them to exercise their own style.

3. Know your employees to know your strength. Watch your staff, get to know them as individuals. Understand their motives: Whatever that is do your best to understand. That allows you to enhance, adjust and align their motives with your goals. The cream always rises to the top, and it's your job to figure out which employees do what is required in their jobs, and which employees do all they can in their jobs. There is a huge distinction.

4. Most bad bosses are under the (mistaken) impression that there is something threatening about this, because the bad boss thinks that he/she is the only one who can perform a given function. The truth is, the best boss trusts that his or her staff can be utterly relied upon.

5. Empower your staff to Make Decisions, and don't second-guess them. If you've done a good job of training your staff to be your proxies, then you must believe they are doing their best to act in your (and your company's ) best interest. Even if they make a wrong decision or handle a situation in a way you would not have, don't second guess or berate them. Instead use it as yet another training opportunity. Hear out their reasons for their action - most of the time, when taken in context, there was a logical basis for what they decided to do.

6. Help them to learn to work out issues without your intervention. Sometimes one or more of your staff may experience friction with others. If they come tattling on one another to you, Listen to them carefully. If someone is not fulfilling his own responsibilities or is mistreating another employee you will need to step in and Resolve a Conflict at Work. If you're satisfied it's only an issue of competition or a simple personality clash, urge them to settle it between themselves.

7. Deal with any problems quickly and directly. Any boss who is terribly busy totally understands this concept. "I don't need all the details. Bottom line it for me." "you don't have to be so blunt that you crush people, and Be Honest Without Being Harsh is a big time saver and appreciated in the end. Deal with problems quickly and don't nag your staff about it later - let done be done. Remember that your goal is to promote productive behaviour and retain the respect of your employee, NOT to antagonize your staff, particularly in front of others.

8. Tell your staff how much you appreciate them - in front of customers if possible. Never hesitate to pat your employees on the back. Compliment staff and thank them for their excellent service. If customers are there, letting them know how you value your staff can go a long way toward the customers actually having more faith in the services your business provides. When your staff feel valued and appreciated, their job means more to them than simply a paycheck.
9. Show your appreciation by doing things for them. They go the extra mile for your. Do something nice for them.

10. Learn to be an effective listener. Your employees deserve to obe heard when they have concerns. Allow them to finish talking before you speak. Acknowledge their points, which does not mean that you agree but does mean that you understand their concerns. Often simply saying "I appreciate your telling me this" is all that's needed to make them feel they were heard.

11. Always say thanks to them for what they do at work.

Warning.

Not everyone is cut out to be the boss. If you are the owner, you might do well to hire a manager who is a good boss to interact with staff.

Things you'll need.

Courage - you have to be brave to relinquish controlling tendencies.

A Positive Attitude - Your staff will mirror you. Staying upbeat will keep them optimistic and happy.

Patience - teaching people to do things your way will take time.

Empathy -understand that your staff are human with needs and feelings, just like you.

Good work ethic - It's especially good when your employees see you working hard because it will drive them to work harder.

Hope this is of some help. Ooops should have posted this in the biz forum. Sorry.

I couldn't agree more with this post!xx

Great read x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Great thread :)

Id like to add that being approachable is important. Staff don't want to see talking to you as a worrying thing that takes excessive preparation.

Reward your staff with what motivates them. An extra days holiday might not hit the spot if they desperately value training and development more.

Don't demonstrate favouritism.

Make sure a telling off (if needed) is proportionate to the staff members action.

Give people what you think they are worth. Try to reduce staff turnover this way.

I would only add:
- always be honest and fair
- remember that everybody's equal but everyone is different.

Before hiring professional manager it's worth to try even one day management and leadership course as this helps to understand what good management requiries. Not expensive but might save a lot of money ;) (Best Training does this courses in many locations)

Latest posts

Back