How to become qualified as a beauty lecturer?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cocofrancesca

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have done so much research and seem to be at a dead end, I must be looking in the wrong places.

How do you become qualified to become a beauty lecturer/tutor;to work in a college.

A teaching qual in university?

TIA, x

Hi there,

I'm just considering the same and I think it all starts with an initial teaching diploma.

Heya

I’m guessing so too. I’m going to have a look at diplomas. Originally I was looking at teaching my own short beauty courses and was looking at a PTLLS .. the more I thought about teaching the more I was steering towards the further Ed route I.e college. I don’t think a PTLLS would be enough for that. Xxx

Heya

I’m guessing so too. I’m going to have a look at diplomas. Originally I was looking at teaching my own short beauty courses and was looking at a PTLLS .. the more I thought about teaching the more I was steering towards the further Ed route I.e college. I don’t think a PTLLS would be enough for that. Xxx

I'm not even sure what a PTLLS is :D Still only in the research stage. I'll let you know if I can find anything useful. I did go to a local college open day a few years back to enquire about teaching as I think that's the best way to find out all the info but depends if you decide to go down the college route I guess.
Xx

You need to get a Cert Ed from University to teach in Further Education. This enables you to teach aged 14+. A PTLLS (or Level 3 Award in Education & Training as it's now known) only lets you teach Adults. Hope this helps!

You need the DET (Diploma in Education and Training) which is level 4 and 5. I did mine through Canterbury University but I stopped once I got to the CET (Certificate in Education and Training) which is higher than the AET (Award in Education and Training) but lower than the DET. If you only want to ‘train’ then it’s just the award you need. That can be done [emoji736] very easily and quickly.

Yes this is it. However, I'd look at The Guild of Beauty Therapist - its only £295 plus VAT so a lot cheaper than the Beauty Academy. I did mine with The Guild!
I am also a Guild Accredited trainer and can enrol you on this course!

Ah thanks for that @karenp70 :) I'm a member of The Guild of Beauty Therapists too which perhaps may help. Would you mind possibly sending me a link to this course? Would this be something I can study online or do I need to go to my local college?

Karen

Can I have some more information please? I am looking into gaining a teacher quali and setting up my own workshop.

I've just gained my teaching qual and considering different options with regard to training...whether it be with The Guild or an independent trainer x

It's done by the Guild and accredited via the Guild! Enrolling via me just means that I get the referral points (sorry being a bit selfish there!). Its an online course and you can do the microteach via Skype.

I've just finished this. I got a PTLLS Level 4 (Preparing to teach in the lifelong learning sector) & then I completed a TAQA (Training Assessment & Quality Assurance) The latter was harder than the first. Both cost me around £850. As part of the TAQA You have to work in voluntary in a school/college in your specifies field. (I worked in a school teaching Beauty Therapy) For me, it was a waste of money & time. I soon found I preffered 'hands on' There are lots of 'ticking boxes exercises' Good Luck :)

I just found this course when searching online. I guess this would be the equivalent of the level 3 AET. https://www.thebeautyacademy.org/product/vtct-level-3-award-in-education-and-training/

That is indeed the ‘Award in Education and Training’. That’s the stepping stone to the ‘Certificate in Education and Training’ from where you can progress to the ‘Diploma in Education in Training’.

If you sign up for the Diploma in Education and Training which is what you need, you will start at the Award stage and progress through. I intended to progress through to Diploma but wasn’t even being invited for interviews in the few teaching jobs that came up which I put down to my age as I’m now in my early 50’s. So I decided to finish after the first year and accept the Certificate rather than progressing to Diploma.

When people mention ATLLS OR CTLLS OR PTLLS etc they are just the old out of date terms for the AET, CET and DET. And I’m sure even the AET, CET and DET May have different names now. But if you ask about any of those, the college or uni or course provider will know what you are talking about.

I had to teach a minimum of 100 hrs per year on the DET. I think I’m right in saying that for the AET, you don’t have to do any teaching.

That is indeed the ‘Award in Education and Training’. That’s the stepping stone to the ‘Certificate in Education and Training’ from where you can progress to the ‘Diploma in Education in Training’.

If you sign up for the Diploma in Education and Training which is what you need, you will start at the Award stage and progress through. I intended to progress through to Diploma but wasn’t even being invited for interviews in the few teaching jobs that came up which I put down to my age as I’m now in my early 50’s. So I decided to finish after the first year and accept the Certificate rather than progressing to Diploma.

When people mention ATLLS OR CTLLS OR PTLLS etc they are just the old out of date terms for the AET, CET and DET. And I’m sure even the AET, CET and DET May have different names now. But if you ask about any of those, the college or uni or course provider will know what you are talking about.

I had to teach a minimum of 100 hrs per year on the DET. I think I’m right in saying that for the AET, you don’t have to do any teaching.

Thank you for all the information :) I've just moved house and moving my salon premises this week so as soon as I'm settled Im going to look into it. It sounds like the AET is a good place to start.

Hiya, I am a manager of a beauty academy and a tutor/assessor of both hair and beauty for 15years.

There are many different routes to go down and it will depend if you want to work with government funded FE colleges/academy’s or private sector.

Personally I got my assessors award (A1) a long time ago and then worked my way up in a college. It is advisable to get PTLLS or equivalent qual as this is a basic teaching level. You can always work your up after that.

It is an amazing job and the money appears good however it is very challenging and there can be lots of paperwork involved so be prepared.

Good luck [emoji175]

I was wondering if this might be the route I could take to opening my own Sugaring training school. I've been practicing for 25 years.

I would love to teach from me salon, how would this be possible?

Hi all,
I just joined but this caught my eye.
The Award in Education and Training, AET (former PTLLS Levels 3 & 4 ) requires a micro-teach (short teaching)session of 15 - 30 minutes long. This can be recorded if done online or presented in a classroom but still recorded for records.

I am a tutor on this course and the Level 4 can shed more light if required.
You can also visit https://wiseheartcollege.com/aet-train-the-trainer

Latest posts

Back