How to cap the free edge with gel

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MINKUS

Gel Junkie
Reaction score
I know most people know this:hug:

But i've just read a couple of threads that indicate that not EVERYONE does know what 'capping the free edge' means AND how important it is to do so.

When you apply your gel you should cap with EVERY layer of your gel.

By capping we mean PULLING the gel OVER the end of the nail's free edge and the sides of the free edge TOO!

I personally then LOCK CURE each nail individually so that the gel can not SHRINK back off where i have just capped:green:

Just wanted to clarify and hopefully help some newby gel geeks:hug:

Its really really important to do this because if you dont you will get lifting of the free edge.

Also....if its a natural nail overlay make sure you apply your BONDER to the free edge ( and sides of the free edge) as your gel is going to be 'pulled' / 'capped' over there!

IF your still getting excessive lifting of the free edge with natural nail overlays and your capping correctly.... try taking the nail down a bit and sulpting a bit of length onto the nails thus creating a 'firmer' free edge, this should solve the problem.

If your using white tips you MUST create a rough surface for the gel to adhere to (gel only sticks to a rough or a stickey surface not a shiney one) take a 180/240 grit and make sure ALL of the surface of the tip has been filed creating a nice 'key' for the gel to grab.

Hope that helps

AMb xxx

Last edited:
Very nicely explained Amber... I didn't know about putting the bonder onto the free edge and sides too.. I only ever put it on the nail bed.. good tip, I will see if this makes a difference to my gel clients.

:hug: Thanks.

I think you're so right that this is the root of the problem for many newbies. It was my major problem when I started out.

I love builder gels because you can actually encase the free edge and not have to worry about the gel shrinking back. It's easy to thread the gel right around the exposed edge. When I started using Akzentz builder white, my free edge lifting problems vanished. But with gels like Bio that are runnier, I too freeze each nail so the free edge remains capped.

Great advice.

I use 2 lamps, do a nail on one hand, cure while doing the other hand's same finger nail... and so one, and one row with all the fingers at the end...

anyway.

the BONDER or whatever it's called in your system, whether l&p or gel, is to be applied on the natural nail. it will create the bond between the product and NN

Thanks Amber.... lots of useful tips logged in brain for future use! xx

I also make sure that the clients nails are oil free at the free edge, a client scratcing their own head or face will get oil on the free edge and this i have found can cause the gel to shrink away from the edge too. Hth

Julie

Thanks for that advice i think this is what i did wrong yesterday i did a nno on a lady that has had them done before with no problems. Well she called today to say two have come off when she changed the bed sheets, i was really upset i hate it when things go wrong it knocks my confidence, shes coming back on Friday so i will replace them and cap all of them again. x

ive found the biggest problem is with a more square shaped nail, as the corners curl and start to lift. so i talked all my gel clients into having oval shape so now they dont get any lifting. woo, score! :green:

Hi there tipsbygm, I know about capping gels and how important that is but what I have learnt is that square shape do not work well with gel, although my clients are happy with my choice of shape so the square shape gels are something new to me. :)

I have learnt is that square shape do not work well with gel, :)

I disagree with this...90% of my clients have square and I only use gel...with no problems at all.

I disagree with this...90% of my clients have square and I only use gel...with no problems at all.

I found that they lose the corners!! I guess these are people that would no matter what they had on their nails. I can have square with gel, but then i never keep mine on ling enough to lose the corners.

I agree with bagpuss...

are you sure the angles are cured enough?

I dont have a problem with square, i DO FIND if im not 100% thorough with the free edge and the SIDES of the free edge (when i do my own) they can chip - especially my thumbs....

If its done properly it should be ok...HOWEVER i suppose with lots of wear and 'grabbing' this is the area that's going to 'wear off' first so maybe try the sculpting a tiny bit onto the free edge so that it has more protection....of course make sure you tell your client WHY your doing this and charge accordingly as it takes more time.

I have a lady who makes curtains and 'pushing' the material through the machine causes her index and third finger to ALWAYS loose the gel from the edge.

Since i've been sculpting these 2 nails.....no more problems.

hth

amb x

big fat..........

bump:green:

I've found a much easier way of stopping lifting at the free edge, advice given by Gigi on a thread ages ago. When you file the nail don't file it at a 90 degree angle to the FE, ie straight across. Tilt your file at an angle so that the top of the file is towards you and the bottom is angled under the nail. This then makes the product (both gel and l&P) just slightly longer than the FE and you don't need to faff about with capping at all.

I also teach my clients to do this so that they don't get a problem and their nails don't get too long between appointments and thus reduces breakages also. Since doing this I have to say I NEVER get probs with FE lifting ... no matter what shape the client chooses.

ALWAYS holding you abrasive at a 45º angle to the free edge is important no matter what system you use.

It does create a permanent 'cap' which gives permanent protection and stops any overlay from splitting away from the free edge on impact.

It is often a surprise to me that everyone does not know these things which are so basic to the longevity of nail enhancements. It just shows that we often take for granted all the 'tiny' tips and tricks we know and forget to mention them.

It is important to teach your clients that when they file their nails, they also should hold the abrasive at a 45º angle.

I was always told NEVER NEVER file after capping but i have been doing this now for ages and it works, yey! now GiGi has said it i can come out of the 'I file after capping closet '! :lol:

i never realy cap with my product but i do just as geeg says and i hold my abrasive at a 45 degree angle and never had this problems

I think it is worth pointing out that for some of us it is very difficult.

My own nails (in recent years) have become very thin and weak, this also applies to my sister and to her daughter who is only 21.

Our nails just will not tolerate being overlaid, howver good the capping, with L&P or Gel.

I sculpt on all of us and when they reach overlay stage, I file back down and re-sculpt and then there is no problem.

Sorry if i'm annoying you again with this topic but holding the file at 45 to the free edge, its new to me. so its like i file from under the free edge? did I understoond good or its the opposite way?
sorry, you will be all right if you think i m stupid:!: but i only want to do the best of it you know, I just got the certificate and I m trying to get some clients, and you geeks are really helping me alot.

thanks
zringa

Latest posts

Back