How to charge a client as a student?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maria97

student at American Beauty College
Reaction score
Ok so i know this is probably not the best idea to think about but I spent almost $250 worth
of salon products because i want to be able to do hair and also make some profit since I am
unemployed and this is the only thing i do at the moment This is completely against school
rules however i am allowed to get tipped But i still want to be able to charge clients "under the table" is there a way to?

I’ve no idea how the rules work where you live, but are you allowed to offer service swaps with other students?
Could you do their hair in return for a different treatment rather than a straight cash payment?

I’ve no idea how the rules work where you live, but are you allowed to offer service swaps with other students?
Could you do their hair in return for a different treatment rather than a straight cash payment?
I meant for people who are non students,.. like actual clients i booked myself

You need to have insurance to cover you. You’d need to check that out. When i was training 18 years ago (so things may have changed perhaps) I was encouraged by my college to find my own clients to practice on from home. I had my portable couch and I worked at a discounted rate due to being a student. I had student insurance and sent them all my forms. I used to work on friends and family etc and word spread. I guess it depends where you live, what the rules are, what your college supports etc...

You need to have insurance to cover you. You’d need to check that out. When i was training 18 years ago (so things may have changed perhaps) I was encouraged by my college to find my own clients to practice on from home. I had my portable couch and I worked at a discounted rate due to being a student. I had student insurance and sent them all my forms. I used to work on friends and family etc and word spread. I guess it depends where you live, what the rules are, what your college supports etc...

In the UK, you don’t have to even be qualified to charge for hairdressing services!
OP is in the States so totally different laws apply.

Well yes I live in the United States but I don't think even my school carries student insurance. The school only carries their own insurance, that's as much as I know. Would I have to get this somewhere else on my own? Can I get an alternative to this? I mean they already train us to be cautious around clients because they can be sick or be physically disabled..

Well yes I live in the United States but I don't think even my school carries student insurance. The school only carries their own insurance, that's as much as I know. Would I have to get this somewhere else on my own? Can I get an alternative to this? I mean they already train us to be cautious around clients because they can be sick or be physically disabled..

I hadn’t realised you were in the USA so you’re dealing with a totally different set of rules. You’d be best off speaking to one of your teachers and asking how you can use what you’ve already learnt to start up your business. If it’s a firm no then there’s not much you can do until you’re fully qualified. Sometimes it’s best just to be straight up and ask the question. We have proper student insurance over here in the UK. USA is very different so I’d speak to an advisor at the college. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back