How to choose a gel polish?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi Ladies,

I’m hoping you can give me some advice.

I am about to undertake an acrylic training course with Young Nails within the next couple of weeks (super excited, especially as an “older” lady J). However, I am also looking for a reliable gel polish system to use. I guess initially I will try Mani Q, as this is the Young Nails offering, however, it looks like many people use more than one brand. I’ve been checking out the costs and I can see there is quite a big difference between some of the brands and obviously, I will need to weigh up cost vs ease of usage, reliability and durability of system.

However, I understand, from reading through the forums, that you need to use the brands own lamp to cure their specific gels (whether it be Youngs, Ink, CND, OPI, etc). My question is, how do you reliably test a gel polish system without having the correct lamp to cure it? I think in most cases you can buy trial gel kits but unless you have that particular brand’s lamp (which would be really expensive), how do you really properly trial it? Or am I overthinking this?

Any pointers would be recommended.

Thanks
SC.

Hi! I think that's actually a very valid question! It's clear you've already done a lot of research and want to do everything properly, which is great.

It will be interesting to hear how other nail techs have got around this, but in the meantime I am happy to share my thoughts.

You are gong to be training with Young Nails and said you will quite likely use Mani Q, so I imagine you would be planning to purchase the lamp that they recommend? If I was you (and in fact this is exactly what I did do when I decided to introduce another brand) was to buy a trial kit in one or two brands that you have narrowed down beforehand and try them on yourself and maybe willing family or close friends to see if you like how it applies/wears/removes etc and cure it with your existing lamp (I would also contact the gel brands to explain what you are doing and ask their recommendations for curing temporarily with your lamp). When you have had a chance to see if you like the brand and if you decide to use it as well, then invest in their lamp. I know it's an extra expense but I believe it is worth it.

As I said, I'll also be interested to hear how other techs have got around this but I honestly can't see that people would go to the expense of buying a lamp until they knew they were definitely going to use the system.

With regards to narrowing down your choice of brand to go with, it sounds like you've already done some research and read others views and will probably be leaning towards one or two. See if they have Facebook groups you can follow as they can be very informative too. Personally, I'd say stick with the professional brands that ask for proof of qualifications before they allow you to buy (although this subject often causes heated debates!). Oh, and beware of anyone who tells you there is only one brand worth using and all the rest are rubbish because this isn't true!!

Good luck with your course, I'm sure you'll love it! I came back into the industry after a break as a more "mature" lady, and I haven't regretted it at all! X

Thanks Beautiful You. I did suspect I probably might have to trial a few different brands with the first lamp I buy, but wondered what other techs did to get around this.

I will order a couple of different brands to see how I get on. Its really difficult to choose though. I want all of them!!!

As someone who only qualified this year I know the feeling of choosing a brand. At present, I only use two companies which are Light Elegance and The Gel Bottle Inc. I went with LE first. I bought one of their trial kits as well as a gel collection to see how I got on with it. I loved it so much that I decided to spend the money and get their lamp. In regards to the TGB, I decided to do a training course with them after college. The course came with a kit so I got to try out their products that way. There are 3 other companies that have been bringing out stuff that I like the look of so I will order sample kits from them. Ordering a sample kit really is the best way. If they don't have one, I would suggest just order a couple colours like a red, pink etc to get a feel for them.

Aside from the LE light, I also have a 48w SUNUV lamp. Now I know this company is unpopular with a few techs however, I found it useful because I use more than one brand. If I ever decide to go all in with just one brand then I will stick solely to that brand. For now, this set up works for me.

Thanks VintageEsmerelda. I was looking at TGB recently because I know they’ve got a 50% sale on, and I thought it would be a good opportunity to trial some of their colours at a discounted price (I probably will buy some although I won’t be able to use them until I get my lamp). I also like the look of OPI and Ink London. I might even love Mani Q but it doesn’t seem to be referenced very much on here so I’m assuming it’s not that widely used - there may or may not be a reason for that. I would like to use a pro brand as my main brand assuming I find something I like.

That brings me to another question!! Do you need a training course for every gel polish or acrylic system that you want to use? Seems like overkill to me but I see nearly all companies offer conversion courses or gel polish courses.

My understanding is (bear in mind I am fairly new) that you don't need it just to use polish. I am sure some people don't bother for the Hard Gel or L&P but, I think it's highly recommended if you plan on switching systems. Also, you will likely need it for your insurance if you plan to use L&P or Hard Gel from a company you haven't trained with. If all you do is get a trail kit then you don't need to.

I could be wrong so hopefully, someone more experienced could answer. Also, you can check with the company you plan to go with.

You don't have to do a gel polish course in every brand you use (unless your insurance company specifies you do, but I don't think many do). Some people choose to so they can completely familiarise themselves, but I think that's down to personal choice and how confident you feel in your application.

TGB certainly have got a very good sale on at the moment! I've taken the opportunity to try their gel polishes out whilst they're selling them at this price (i've been using their Builder in a Bottle for nearly a year now, but hadn't tried their gel colours). They have also finally brought out a lamp - which incidentally is manufactured by SUNUV!

INK London are fab! I can't fault them to be honest. I would definitely recommend giving them a try! They've got a fantastic Facebook group too x

Ok thanks. Makes sense.

INK London are fab! I can't fault them to be honest. I would definitely recommend giving them a try! They've got a fantastic Facebook group too x

Thanks. I opened an account with Ink the other day so will definitely give them a try.

Latest posts

Back