How to convince my clients to use Solar Oil?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jodiewood

Reaction score
A LOT of my clients don't use oil, when I tell them about it and it's uses they seem to laugh and just say things like "I'll try/I don't remember to ever do it"
Some of them get breaking and lifting that don't use oil but try telling them that solar oil may help these issues and it's like you're talking to them in another language. So annoying because my enhancements stay perfect, even through doing other peoples nails, accidentally dripping acetone on them etc but I use oil about three times a day, I don't see why it's such a difficult thing to remember!

Some people may think that you're fibbing trying to get a sale, maybe give a pinkie to your toughest customers to convince them. Other than that, be firm & say 'As long as you forget to apply solar oil then you're going to have to have them done more frequently/longer service time etc etc'

The other thing is that some people are just bad customers & will never do what you say even if their life depended on it, accept this & root out ones that will :)

people are far more likely to use something if they have bought it rather than been given it...explain the benefits, make a poster of the benefits, get scientific about it.

i always get them to either put their bottle next to their toothbrush, in their handbag and by their computer or all of them if necessary

people are far more likely to use something if they have bought it rather than been given it...explain the benefits, make a poster of the benefits, get scientific about it.

i always get them to either put their bottle next to their toothbrush, in their handbag and by their computer or all of them if necessary

Yep, I always tell my clients I have a bottle by the side of my bed, it's the last thing I do before going to sleep!! If they look at me as if saying 'yeah whatever' I then ask them if they use conditioner on their hair or moisturise their face to which they always reply yes, and then the penny drops!!! X

I'm just marking this for the morning ill come back with an answer my brain is just not in gear at this time :)

I'm having the same problem, I keep meaning to look on here to find some information to use for a flyer or something

Hiya!

I always give pinkie with their first shellac and explain that this bottle will last about 3 weeks, explain precisely all benefits and tell then that if they don't use it their shellac firstly will not last as long and in medium to long term it will lead to dehydration of the natural nail so no shellac for them :)

I say that after they use this bottle the next size up is £6 one which will last them 2-3 months (let's be realistic- they don't use oil twice a day every day unfortunately) so it works out £2-£3 a month :) really not a fortune! It's an equivalent of the value of a sandwich from sainsbury's!

I tell my customers off if they don't use oil, I can see it just by how the shellac removes from the nail plate so I don't ask if they were using it I ask why they haven't been using it. Some say I'm really strict but I say "you will always be told off if you're being naughty" :) they know they're up for being told off :)

To summarise- I would say for my customers- the key is to really explain the reasons why they should use it! All the benefits and how it works and also talk to them about it on every appointment until they oil their nails regularly :)

Ive just stopped giving my solar oil pinkie for free as my clients do not use it after their first day of using it this really frustrates me, I've explained a the benefits to them, Ive shared case studies of clients using the oil and the ones that don't, you can lead a horse to water but you can't force it to drink it comes to mind, I'm hoping the shock of having to buy it from me now will make them see what a good deal they had as I've never been to a home salon or high street salon and been given something for nothing. I love my solar oil and my nails are proof of this :) xx

I always give a free pinkie with their first shellac but they don't use it lol . I even tell them it doesn't work if they just leave it in their bag or bedside cabinet lol. I tell them the benefits, they know the benefits lol xxxxxx

I think my poster/A4 sign reads something like this...
"Want to go longer between infills??? Less breakages?Healthy cuticles....Solar oil"
I tell them to put on top of the toilet and apply when they are on the loo! :)

Yep, I always tell my clients I have a bottle by the side of my bed, it's the last thing I do before going to sleep!! If they look at me as if saying 'yeah whatever' I then ask them if they use conditioner on their hair or moisturise their face to which they always reply yes, and then the penny drops!!! X[/

That's what I say to mine!!! Something along the lines of imagine washing your hair 5/10 however many time you wash your hands a day and not conditioning...imagine the state your hair would be in? The penny soon drops ....and then again when they have been using it and see how much easier soak off is!!

I'm loving putting it in the toilet and solar oiling while on the loo!!! Genius...no excuse their then lol

Special way to pass the time if your constipated

It depends how the client thinks.

If she's not one for going out for coffee then saying that it costs less than the price of a costa or starbucks' coffee isn't gonna do much for her.

Reality is that it costs 7p per day - or a whole 98p - onto the price of her fortnightly rebalances. That's at most 5%, which isn't much.

The key is in education and selling the benefits to them on a personal basis. Relate examples to yourself, and to them.

Tell them the benefits of longevity - spend 5% more and your nails will look perfect for up to 50% longer. That's a huge increase!

If they're time short, sell them on the benefits that their appointment may not take as long as the nails will be better for longer.

As Souz said, would they wash their hair without conditioning? I've no doubt they wouldn't! I wouldn't!

Challenge them if they're that type. Tell them to oil only one hand and not tell you which. When they come back, you'll be able to see which it was. And they'll be able to see the difference in the rebalance.

I have a bottle by my bed, one in my bathroom cupboard, I keep one in my bag along with a mini scentsations and I oil my nails while waiting for my dentist or doctors appointments. I also have one in the central console in my car and do my nails while waiting for the schools to come out. Anytime I have dead space, I'm oiling!

There are also many other benefits of solar oil. I live in Scotland - solar oil is also amazing for midge bites! It also helps soothe cuts - the kids are always asking for magic oil if they fall over.

The key to selling anything is to be personable and make it about them.

I tend to use the conditioner analogy!

And I've also been giving away a free pinkie over Christmas, but I'm convinced that the clients that have been given the freebies don't actually use them...(although one of my clients actually finished her first free bottle and asked for another FREE OF CHARGE...the cheeky mare, she didn't want to pay for another bottle!) Xx

I never give the solar oil away for free, as said previously they won't use it or have any respect for it if they are given it for free, and it will be a bit of a kick in the teeth to pay for a subsequent bottle if they were using it and ran out.

I only sell the large 15ml bottles in my salon and have never had any issues selling them.

I sold over 25 bottles of it this December and I am a one man band who doesn't solely do nails (although they are my main service)

It all starts with your consultation. Look at the clients nails and tell them what you see for eg "Mary I can see that your nails are looking a bit dry do you suffer from peeling nails/ do they break easily?" Find out what her long terms goals are "would you prefer to have instant length with enhancements, or would you like to promote your natural nails to grow with shellac/ manicures"

Now that you have found out what the client really wants you can be prescriptive in you recommendations for eg "well if we are going to grow your nails it will be very important that you use solar oil at home to keep them strong and flexible, it will also heal split skin / hang nails to make them look their best for longer" or if I were doing enhancements " it will be important that you use you solar oil to keep your enhancements flexible and strong and it will also help to keep your natural nails strong underneath them and the stronger your natural nails are the better your enhancements will last" etc

I have told my client all about the benefits of solar oil and got their interest in the product before the treatment has even started , I then chat away as normal for the treatment and apply oil at the end saying " this is the oil I told you about , this is how you use it , keep it up by a bedside table or somewhere you'll see it and apply twice daily"

I always word things with the assumption the client will buy it but I am not pushy in any way , I do not mention the price unless the ask and then I will say its 15 euro and will last you 6 months , my prices are clearly displayed anyway, 7/10 clients will say at the end if ther service they would like to take a bottle , 2/10 won't say anything so I give them a little nudge with would you like to take a bottle today ? And then of course there is always one who just won't budge ;) c'est la vie

Last edited:
Sorry don't know what's gone on with my last post , something has gone funny with salon geek because I didn't write half of that , where did the waxing stuff come from ?? Lol

Edit ; ok fixed it :)

I'm loving the conditioner theory

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I never give the solar oil away for free, as said previously they won't use it or have any respect for it if they are given it for free, and it will be a bit of a kick in the teeth to pay for a subsequent bottle if they were using it and ran out.

I only sell the large 15ml bottles in my salon and have never had any issues selling them.

I sold over 25 bottles of it this December and I am a one man band who doesn't solely do nails (although they are my main service)

It all starts with your consultation. Look at the clients nails and tell them what you see for eg "Mary I can see that your nails are looking a bit dry do you suffer from peeling nails/ do they break easily?" Find out what her long terms goals are "would you prefer to have instant length with enhancements, or would you like to promote your natural nails to grow with shellac/ manicures"

Now that you have found out what the client really wants you can be prescriptive in you recommendations for eg "well if we are going to grow your nails it will be very important that you use solar oil at home to keep them strong and flexible, it will also heal split skin / hang nails to make them look their best for longer" or if I were doing enhancements " it will be important that you use you solar oil to keep your enhancements flexible and strong and it will also help to keep your natural nails strong underneath them and the stronger your natural nails are the better your enhancements will last" etc

I have told my client all about the benefits of solar oil and got their interest in the product before the treatment has even started , I then chat away as normal for the treatment and apply oil at the end saying " this is the oil I told you about , this is how you use it , keep it up by a bedside table or somewhere you'll see it and apply twice daily"

I always word things with the assumption the client will buy it but I am not pushy in any way , I do not mention the price unless the ask and then I will say its 15 euro and will last you 6 months , my prices are clearly displayed anyway, 7/10 clients will say at the end if ther service they would like to take a bottle , 2/10 won't say anything so I give them a little nudge with would you like to take a bottle today ? And then of course there is always one who just won't budge ;) c'est la vie

agreed, you dont have to be pushy but obviously know what you are talking about and the clients accept your word.
I have clients say to me that they thought I was only trying to sell them something until they began using the oil ! I reply that I never sell anything to anyone if I don't think they need it , with the result that they trust me.

I'm loving the conditioner theory

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

The conditioner analogy works really well for me, as I'm based in a hair salon I already know that the clients care about the maintenance of their hair...they just need reminding that their nails are made of keratin too and need a lot of loving!

Latest posts

Back