How to deal with awkward situations?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarahluise

Reaction score
So i firstly want to start with the fact i am not disrespecting the client but here it goes... BRACE YOURSELF

Ok so i fitted a clients hair who can i mention was absolutely lovely, however this is my profession my job and although i am mobile and take in account i am working in their home surely they should realise that, that makes it my working environment... Anyway cut a long story short the client and her friends started smoking weed whilst i was applying her hair i was so stunned i had no idea how to react and what too say i just got on with it as fast as i can to get home, it made me feel really uncomfortable*at the end of the day it made my equipment and uniform stink!! But most importantly i have to go home to my child with that smell on my clothes :(!!!!!

It has completely put me off and made me very uncomfortable in working in others home

Could anyone tell me any advice or tips on how too move forward from this and what to do if it ever happens again :(

Thank you x *

Hi, I've only ever had this happen to me once, but they didn't smoke weed in front of me but outside... & they offered me one. Luckily the client hasn't had me back :), sorry not much help, not sure what I would do in that circumstance x

i think thats really disrespectful to you as effectively a guest in her home! if she is a lovely person which you said she was im sure she would understand if you just said to her if it happens again im really sorry but it makes me very uncomfortable to be around and would you mind going outside or maybe you go outside whilst shes doing it. its a very tough situation to be in as im sure you dont want to loose her as a client but sometimes needs must. as for being worried about going to other peoples houses i wouldnt as im sure it was a one off and wouldnt happen again! x

I know it's tough! But i'm quiet anal and anti drugs! I don't mind people doing it but not in front of me and i don't want to come across as rude or disrespectful to clients in their own home.*

Thanks, :) think i may just do it via text on her maintenance appointment (cowedly)*

You could say something like, "since I am randomly drug tested, could you please wait til I leave?" Or, "since I'm allergic..."

Not sure how else to handle it.

This may not be any help but im pretty blunt and honest so I would just down my tools and stand outside when they did it, saying "sorry, Im a but sensitive to that stuff, just let me know when youre ready for me to carry on".
She will probably offer to wait until youve finished as Ill bet if she's willing to smoke it in front of you, she probably see's it as normal behaviour and doesnt realise you may have a problem with it.
xxx

You could always mention that you have to drive so would she mind waiting til you are away or smoke it outside. I know from my own experiences that even sitting in amongst it can have an effect deepending how strong it is and how much they are smoking.

I am Mobile and ALL my clients no I dont smoke, yet they insist on sittting smoking in their houses while I do their hair. Today I am going to a house where I do all their hair and I make sure this is the last appointment of the day coz I come out stinking of smoke. Ive tried moving away, and making a point of coughing, but to no avail. I really dont know how to get around this, as it is their house, and I have made a point of saying I dont smoke. :-( it is crap and I stink afterwards

I completely understand how awkward this is for u but as a client of mine pointed out ( she is a smoker btw ) the minute you as a mobile hairdresser/ beauty therapist/ chiropodist (which ever) steps into a clients house to do treatment on them that is then a working environment and people who's working environment is say an office would not have to put up with smelling of weed, why should you, why should you also run late for other clients or have to book out extra time just so you can wait outside while they finish smoking, x

I am Mobile and ALL my clients no I dont smoke, yet they insist on sittting smoking in their houses while I do their hair. Today I am going to a house where I do all their hair and I make sure this is the last appointment of the day coz I come out stinking of smoke. Ive tried moving away, and making a point of coughing, but to no avail. I really dont know how to get around this, as it is their house, and I have made a point of saying I dont smoke. :-( it is crap and I stink afterwards

That is unbelievably rude!! How can they put you at risk as a passive smoker! Could you tell them a white lie... "My uncle just got diagnosed with lung cancer from smoking and the doctors said passive is just as bad. Can you please refrain from smoking whilst I am working?" Just a thought x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

We have the potential for this to happen as we offer our hair extension courses on a 1 to 1 basis in peoples homes as well as our training centre.

When somebody books we send out pre course info that has a section about our requirement to work in a smoke free environment, and that if this is not provided we reserve the right to stop the course there and then, and they will have to attend a group course at additional cost to complete the training.

Maybe when you do a consultation with a new client you can include something similar in your terms and conditions? Do you have a terms and conditions for your clients to sign? The girls who do mobile extensions for us all have something like this in the terms and conditions that they get the client to sign....eg if a 'smoke' free environment is not provided throughout the install you reserve the right to stop, and if the client wishes for the install to be completed they have to come to you at additional cost.

One of our girls is 5 months pregnant - why should she have to put up with it?

I'd rather loose the money than loose my life!! Or my family loose me!

Its not very respectful to smoke it, i wouldnt have done it, not that i smoke it.
I would of said " i hate that stuff , do you mind waiting till ive gone"

Blimey thats must have been awkwaqrd for you. It's a wonder you never ended up stoned too breathing all that stuff in:eek:

I'm a smoker so if I client smokes it doesn't bother me, this is just my personal opinion.

Smoking weed is unexceptable, that should be done in private if a client feels the need and not whilst a professional is there. It's the smell of it on your clothes when your visiting a new client or driving and making your car smell.

Smoking is addictive, if you are in the clients house for 2-4 hours then yes they will have a fag or too. Have a break and leave the room.

It's really not a massive deal I don't think. Smoking weed is and should not be aloud! If I was a non smoker I'd leave the room or ask a client too it wouldn't be rude to ask but it would be unexceptable for a professional not to say anything when a client is smoking weed.

Personal opinion, I,m not trying to argue :) x

Last edited by a moderator:
i used to work for the nhs and we were told when doing home visits that patients/clients were not allowed to smoke while treatment was going on as it then became our workplace. im not sure of the actual legalities of this though.
I always say to clients now if they would like to nip to the door/outside for a cigarette break to let me know, but i would rather they didnt smoke while i was fitting the hair incase while im moving loose strands around any get damaged. Yes they are paying me to go to their house to fit extensions etc but i am there for my job, not a social call so i dont think its fair to have smoke over my uniform etc when i have to go to other houses after. This goes for any cigarettes or similar "products" incidently! xx

Just popping over from Skin and Nails to give my opinion...

While it's the client's home and they can do what they like... Surely it's just basic manners and courtesy to ask if you mind that they smoke (especially when everyone is so aware nowadays of how dangerous passive smoking can be).

As for it being weed... In my opinion that's just completely unacceptable.

If I were you, I would just politely say, "if you don't mind, would you mind not smoking in front of me? I'm aware that this is your home, but I need to work, and I don't have time to go home and get changed before I go to my next client".

It's quite an awkward one though!! Xx

Just popping over from Skin and Nails to give my opinion...

While it's the client's home and they can do what they like... Surely it's just basic manners and courtesy to ask if you mind that they smoke (especially when everyone is so aware nowadays of how dangerous passive smoking can be).

As for it being weed... In my opinion that's just completely unacceptable.

If I were you, I would just politely say, "if you don't mind, would you mind not smoking in front of me? I'm aware that this is your home, but I need to work, and I don't have time to go home and get changed before I go to my next client".

It's quite an awkward one though!! Xx

Yeah spot on really, it is hard because you are in someone's home ad you are there to make money but there has to be rules maybe send out a email before hand with a little bit saying please don't smoke. ?

I think the majority have said it all ! I would not do the clients hair it's ONLY 1 client. If you are good at your job you can afford to be choosy ! We put up with far to much as it is !

Thanks everyone for all your positive comments. As i clearly pointed out i wasn't directly talking about legal tobacco smoking thats a little bit different but illegal cannabis smoking! I don't particularly want to go to others clients homes smelling of drugs! It doesn't make me look very professional and to be honest i think i will effectively loose more clients by word of mouth that i'm an extensionist that smells of weed by the end of the chinese whispers i probably will of been labeled "the hair extensionist high on weed" so if this does offend a cannabis smoker that i would prefer her not too smoke that in front of me while i am working then yes feel free to take your money some where else.*

Also as for a comment made that you can't get high from second hand cannabis smoke its called "contact high" however it does depend on strength, size of room, ventilation etc

Studio 58!! I do have terms and conditions forms which need to be signed during consultation and again at the fitting so i think thats a great idea adding it on their! *Thanks very much!*

Latest posts

Back