How to deal with this complaint?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Louise~

Reaction score
Hi Guys, just looking a bit of advice on what to do next, if anything?

A week ago a local girl I knew from years ago booked in for makeup. I was already booked up so I couldn't take the appointment at that time so she happily booked in with my other MUA. She also booked in for make up the following week as well.

As she was getting her make up done I overheard her specifically saying she didn't want lipstick on to my MUA, that she would put her own on. I just assumed she used a particular colour and wanted to use that. She payed and seemingly left happy. I told my MUA to give her a bit of discount when he took for it (because I knew her from years ago, I know, more fool me!) So she ended up getting £8 off.

Then the day before her next appointment she rang to cancel, (It wasn't me who answered), She started giving off about the price she paid and it was only day make up and whilst it was really nice, for the price she didn't even get offered lipstick or mascara and she'd never heard of make up application so expensive before! So my girl apologised that she didn't get mascara + lipstick, said that she couldn't understand how the MUA forgot etc, but she did remind her that it was at a discounted rate. Initially I thought he may have forgot to apply mascara and that I should offer her a voucher but when I asked my MUA about it he had said she refused both lipstick and mascara, which I believe because I heard her refuse the lipstick. I'm now thinking that she refused lipstick and mascara thinking it would bring the price down, but the way I look at it if you got a blow-dry and said no straightners at the end you would still expect to pay the full amount, likewise if you went for a file and paint but refused the top coat.

But the part I'm worried about is she going to bad mouth my business, saying you don't get lipstick and mascara on for the price etc. Because that's exactly how she made it sound to my girl who took her phone call. Should I ring her or should I just leave it? What would you do?

Thanks in advance :) xox

Brush it off babe!
I'm sure you've got bigger and better clients to worry about!

ignore her. She obviously was doing it to try to save money. If that was the case she should have asked ahead. I expect a couple of dollars off if i don't want my hair blown dry at all (leave with it totally wet), but like you said, if i just didn't have it straightened or curled or whatever, then that's no discount.

Sounds like she wanted to just be a complainer :)

Don't bother. If you run into her and she goes off, say, "I'm sorry you weren't happy but I did hear you say that you didn't want lipstick and the MUA said you refused mascara, so to complain you weren't offered was not correct"

let her go on and on. She obviously isn't a close friend whose opinions matter :)

I totally understand you having a meltdown over this but look at it this way. She's probably known for being like that about everything as those people react to things in the same way. She's been around you for years and yet it's the first time that she's been in to you so don't worry about losing her business. If you have a good reputation in the area which you obviously do, there will be enough people to correct her if she bad mouths you.

Don't give her any vouchers, she's had enough and don't book her in again as you can do without clients like that.

Wipe her out your memory and stand firm in what your staff said and what you heard. x

Never ever discount!!!

I've been a pro MUA for 14 years and if a client didn't want mascara or lipstick I would still charge them the same amount, at the end if the day I would still be blocking out the same amount of time etc.

I get this a lot a weddings as brides etc like their own lipstick etc but I still charge them the same.

Next time ask your staff to make a note of them not wanting lipstick etc and ask the client to counter sign it.

Latest posts

Back