How to get a client to leave that hangs around

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjk100

Reaction score
Hi looking for advice. I have a client who always stays after her treatment, she always books last thing at night say 9:30pm and normally hangs around until 11pm! I work from home. She just chats and chats and chats. I don't have the heart to be rude to her but what can I say to get rid of her quickly?lol thanks xx

Its late but why dont you drop into conversation that you are going to do your shopping after seeing her? Thats asuming there is a 24hr supermarket near by to make your story feasible! Do this twice and hopefully get her thinking about the fact that you do have a life and dont have all the time in the world for her and that she needs to make a quick exit!!

Oh god, isn't it annoying! Some clients seem to think they are your only client and u have nothing better to do! Could u maybe get your other half to text you asking when you'll be done and mention it to her when text comes through!! Or u have another girl coming for a late treatment as she is off on hols the next day??

Can't you start walking towards the door once she has paid you, and actually open it while talking?

I don't really think you should make things up, you need to control the conversation so it comes to a natural conclusion.

Don't ask any questions except, are you going straight home from here?

This used to happen to me all the time.

I use a series of prompts to ease them out the door, chat chat chatting all the time. Try some/all of these:

Stand up. Close diary with a snap. Get her coat and hold it open for her whilst standing near the door. Picknup her bag and hand it to her if necessary. Open the door of the room. Guide her towards door with one arm kind of outstretched and behind her. Turn off lights if necessary. Herd her down stairs or along corridor - keep moving forward. Or go first and open the front door wide. Go outside with her. Open gate. Kiss goodbye. Walk back in and wave. Close door firmly, still waving.

Say "lovely, thats you all finished and i'm ready for my dinner"
Or "I mustnt keep you, drive safely"
Or "Sorry to interrupt but have you got everything you need. Keys? Rings? Phone? Fab. See you in two weeks"
Or look at your watch and say "omg is that the time? (kiss) always lovely to catch up. (hand on her back) mind how you go (gentle shove)"

I have honed this to perfection over the years because it really gets on my nerves lol.

Haha I agree with Sonny... This is exactly what i do! All the gentle shoves and pushing them out the door!!

Get a sledge hammer n whack her over the head. That or don't give her such a late appointment so u genuinely do have another client in.
Try saying, sorry to move you along but it's late and I want to go to bed/ do washing/ see to the kids. Just because it's a house dosent mean ur working day dosent stop!

A few friends of mine stay after having something done, but I usually put them in late on a weekend and we have a bottle or 6 of wine xoxo

Glad it's just not me lol, I usually get the other stylist to ring the salon phone,and start a conversation, saying see you next week to the client.Or never have them as a last client, or say i've got my daughter to pick up now.Some people just wont get the hint,i've tryed turning things off, cashing up,etc... but they still carry on talking.argh....bless em.:lol:

I have a couple of clients that like to linger. After their service is complete I say, "Your toe-zies look beautiful and you're good to go."

Then I pick up their handbag for them, put it in their hand, walk them to the door and tell them I'm looking forward to seeing them next time.

I think because I work from home have no kids/partner she just assumes I want to sit around talking all night. Don't get me wrong I do have friends who I'll do this with but she is a client and I only see her when doing treatments. I'll try these things thanks xx

Latest posts

Back