How to get clients to relax their hands?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cadenturner7

Reaction score
I recently started using The Ergo Lift but I’m still having to fight with my clients and it’s causing pain in my hands and neck. What does everyone use or do for the clients to relax?

Shout 'relax your hands!!!' ;) :p

Repeatedly, endlessly....over and over...along with pulling them closer as they relax into the chair...repeatedly....over and over... :p

It's one of those 'things' in a nail techs life. Some clients have come from NSS who carelessly hurt their clients with improper efile use, so they don't realise nail services shouldn't hurt. They'll take a while to realise you are not going to hurt them and eventually will relax.

There is also the possibility that you are hurting them unknowingly, for instance if my nails are too long I can unknowingly press the side if my nail into their side wall, so ask your client if they're OK, mention they seem to be holding tension in their hands and fingers, if you're not hurting them they'll instantly relax, they probably don't realise.

Then you'll have the annoying ones who even after 15 years still hold their fingers stiff and hands rolled outwards....or is that just me?!:rolleyes::p

Also check that they are sitting high enough. I have the clients chair higher and a few put it down when they sit down and I usually last 5 mins before I’m straining to see and ask them to put it back up.

You do really just need to kindly keep reminding them. I’ve a couple that I struggle with and I usually have to say “I’m sorry but you really do need to try to relax as I can’t see your nails”.
My usual phrase when I start is “just let your hand go floppy”

I had a lady that would chatter non stop through massages about how she can never relaxing, she’s always telling people she can’t relax, she’s so stiff and sore, how she’s so stressed, stress this stress that just can’t relax.......she can’t relax but it would go on and on until one day I said OK STOP TALKING, CLOSE YOUR MOUTH. CLOSE YOUR EYES. Keep them closed. Relax.
They can’t relax while jabbering on and sometimes you can’t relax until someone says relax or tells you how. She felt great after and she said ‘nobody has ever told me to shut up and relax before, I really needed it didn’t I?’ It works. :D

Like hearing the word welcome really makes you feel nice and wecome you visit instead of a hello.

‘Relax your arms’ should be enough before you start. But you could always start by simply holding hands. Use the time to really look at their hands before starting, like you normally would with a manicure, but stroke the forearm to hands firmly onto the table (with a good cushion under) and take a deep breath, apply gentle pressure, taking a moment together and letting out that breath slowly. You can tell them to do the breathing too. When they’ve sighed begin and it will be easier for both of you :)

You need to tell them.
With repeat offenders stop mid service. Pat the top of their hands gently and tell them calmly to relax.

Often when clients hands are stiff it is because their whole body is and possibly they are are holding their arm 'straight' if that makes sense . I ask them to drop their shoulders, bend at the elbows then I hold their hand and give it a gentle shake saying relax . Seems to do the trick x

I had a lady that would chatter non stop through massages about how she can never relaxing, she’s always telling people she can’t relax, she’s so stiff and sore, how she’s so stressed, stress this stress that just can’t relax.......she can’t relax but it would go on and on until one day I said OK STOP TALKING, CLOSE YOUR MOUTH. CLOSE YOUR EYES. Keep them closed. Relax.
They can’t relax while jabbering on and sometimes you can’t relax until someone says relax or tells you how. She felt great after and she said ‘nobody has ever told me to shut up and relax before, I really needed it didn’t I?’ It works. :D

Like hearing the word welcome really makes you feel nice and wecome you visit instead of a hello.

‘Relax your arms’ should be enough before you start. But you could always start by simply holding hands. Use the time to really look at their hands before starting, like you normally would with a manicure, but stroke the forearm to hands firmly onto the table (with a good cushion under) and take a deep breath, apply gentle pressure, taking a moment together and letting out that breath slowly. You can tell them to do the breathing too. When they’ve sighed begin and it will be easier for both of you :)

Awww bless her! Funny thing.

Just keep shouting at them, they get the message eventually.
I have a lady who is a serial hand clencher and we get along very well, I tap her hand gently with my file haha x

Curiously, the OP doesn’t appear to have returned to the site since posting this thread :rolleyes:

Curiously, the OP doesn’t appear to have returned to the site since posting this thread :rolleyes:
Happens a lot though doesn't it. People post then often don't come back

Latest posts

Back