How to get l&p enhancements to buff up?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coppertop

Reaction score
Ok so i'm still at college training but my problem is that when i do a set of l&p they seem to look dull :cry:
Once the enhancement is finished i apply cuticle oil and then buff with a 3 way buffer.
Am i doing this wrong or can anyone give me some advice? My tutor says they are fine but i am just not happy to send a client away with them looking that way.

I get a good shine on mine with my 3 way but I also put a coat of UV30 on for better lasting shine.:hug:

I get a good shine on mine with my 3 way but I also put a coat of UV30 on for better lasting shine.:hug:
So just a coat of my uv gel would be ok?
TBH i think it could be the products we are using too as everyone is having this problem but i'm sure i could get them to look much better, they just look so dull :confused:

UV30 isn't a gel, its a top coat that helps prevent dicolouration and makes the whites look brighter. It's by EzFlow, no light needed for it :hug:

ღMandyღ;688014 said:
So just a coat of my uv gel would be ok?
TBH i think it could be the products we are using too as everyone is having this problem but i'm sure i could get them to look much better, they just look so dull :confused:

what products are you using hun? if everyone is having the problem, maybe its not your technique

i also use something called miracle shine by EZflow, got it at PB and they chamois/buffer to go with it, its fab

hths xxx

I to apply a coat of UV Topcoat after I have filed then wiped with Scrubfresh to remove any dust.
You can also just apply a coat of clear topcoat like Super Shiney just make sure you have filed and buffed any scratches then again wipe to clean any dust and oils.

if your finishing your enhancement with say for e.g a 180 grit then going onto using a buffer straight after then you arent going to get a shine.......you need to work from 180, 240 to 1200 then buff........
i usually refine side walls and free edge with 180 then refine with 240 then use my ezflow sand shark (about 1200...i think) then buffer or ezflow snow monkey.

if your finishing your enhancement with say for e.g a 180 grit then going onto using a buffer straight after then you arent going to get a shine.......you need to work from 180, 240 to 1200 then buff........
i usually refine side walls and free edge with 180 then refine with 240 then use my ezflow sand shark (about 1200...i think) then buffer or ezflow snow monkey.

I am with Joanne on this one......especially if you are just starting out you need to know how to work down your grits and then buff up to a high shine.
Maybe you just need to apply a bit more elbow grease in the final stages lol:lol:

Going straight to a gel topcoat or any kind of topcoat won't solve the underlying problem of not getting a smooth surface IMHO!

Some good info on this thread too.....http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/64831-trainee-needs-help.html

I am with Joanne on this one......especially if you are just starting out you need to know how to work down your grits and then buff up to a high shine.
Maybe you just need to apply a bit more elbow grease in the final stages lol:lol:

Going straight to a gel topcoat or any kind of topcoat won't solve the underlying problem of not getting a smooth surface IMHO!
This seems to be the answer i was looking for. We have never been told this.
As for the elbow grease i have been tempted but knowing my luck i'd set the nail on fire with all the friction :eek: :lol:

I don't want to have to put a topcoat of any form onto the enhancements as it seems unnecessary abd i think will spoil the end result, i guess i would feel i was cheating too.
I do get a smooth surface it just never shines. Will invest in a 1200 file and give that a go.
Thanks for the help.

hi

i used millenium when training and had the same trouble to begin with so its not you hun! the advice given above i am in agreement with.

good luck xxx:hug:

I pretty much agree with the advice everyone else has given, I'm really happy with the shine on mine (I use creative products). Here's what I do:

File in with a 180, then start buffing down from 240, 1200, then use the buffer. I know some people add the solar oil after the 240 grit and buff it in from 1200 downwards, but I prefer to add my solar oil before using a 240, the 240 grit seems to work more oil into the nail.

Also, do you use super shiney topcoat? If so, use 2 coats. I was using only 1 and told my educator I didnt like it, and she told me to use 2 coats. Since doing that, my nails have been super shiney!!

Good luck.

I never even thought of the filing, sorry Mandy. It was just a part of my traning so kind of ingrained from the start with each grit having a place in the final finish.

I wonder who came up with the names for these files! :lol:

hi

i used millenium when training and had the same trouble to begin with so its not you hun! the advice given above i am in agreement with.

good luck xxx:hug:
Glad it's not just me then :lol: It's not even like we have the cheapest kit around, i've also had problems with the uv topcoat.
I feel a conversion course coming my way :lol:

Also, do you use super shiney topcoat? If so, use 2 coats. I was using only 1 and told my educator I didnt like it, and she told me to use 2 coats. Since doing that, my nails have been super shiney!!

Good luck.
I don't use a topcoat at all. i always worry that if it ever slightly chips that the client is more likely to then start picking at the enhancement.
Thinking that if i can get a nice shine that i won't need one anyway.

i dont tend to top coat enhancements just over enamel...
you can get packs at ezflow and creative of sample abrasives....a box with 1 of every abrasive in...........to start you off...
Grafton International Ltd
Sweet Squared - Home

ღMandyღ;688298 said:
Thanks hun. Also is it fine to just put a colour over the enhancement straight away?

i would base coat first...plus you will get a lovely enamel finish when the enhancement has been buffed....

i would base coat first...plus you will get a lovely enamel finish when the enhancement has been buffed....
Cheers. I have to show that i can french polish in one of my assessments so i'll be taking your advice now and hopfully i'll do you proud :lol:

Latest posts

Back