How to get people to love Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geekling

Reaction score
Hi ladies,
I'm just starting out, no clients at the moment.

Iv bought shellac and have been promoting it like mad, explaining what it Is etc, but haven't got much interest! Not many people do it where I live, it's all enhancements! How did you all get people and clients to love shellac as much as you do? I wear it on my own nails all the time and love it!!!

It's the complete opposite where I am nobody has extensions anymore all my clients are either shellac converts or came to me asking for it! It sounds like you are doing the right thing by promoting it and making your clients aware and by wearing it yourself you should see some business! Shellac is really popular and quite well known but often clients dont actually know what it is! I am busier than ever with shellac, some of my clients wear extensions for the strength and / or have weak or soft nails that wouldn't necessarily be suited for shellac so they are happy as they are but those that come in and want me to cut down their lovely nails just to put tips on and cover up with gel or acrylic I think is crazy so I started with those first and within 6 weeks they all had beautiful long healthy nails that were their own and can't get enough of shellac now. Why not do an introductory offer or even get them interested with a smudge free long lasting pedicure for the summer? (granted the weather hadn't been all that great!) but it goes down well in winter aswell I find as the client doesn't need to wear open toes or wait for it to dry after the appointment!

I would do one or two nails in Shellac and the rest of the nails in regular polish that matches or goes with the Shellac color. That way, your client can see the difference first hand.

When it comes time for removal, they will see that they have beautiful NATURAL nails with no damage. HTH and best of luck! :)

The same here, I wear it and have had enhancement clients that have seen it, removed their enhancements and now come to me for Shellac on their natural nails. I do other things in my salon but they only 2 things I'm asked to do are Shellac and Minx!

Just advertise in as many free places as you can, netmums, gumtree, Facebook etc etc and soon word will get round. It takes a while to build up a client base, but all you need is 1 or 2 people to come and have it done and they will see how great it is and will rave about it to everyone.

I try and make sure I do mine as eye catching as possible, whether "my thing" or not, as it gets people asking and then I give them my card :)

Hi ladies,

Iv bought shellac and have been promoting it like mad, explaining what it Is etc, but haven't got much interest! Not many people do it where I live, it's all enhancements! How did you all get people and clients to love shellac as much as you do? I wear it on my own nails all the time and love it!!!

I have the same problem so I can sympathise! It's torture!

Hi ladies,

Unfortunately, you can't make some people love something, even with holding it up right infront of their face. People have their own brands of what they like... this is why I do Shellac, gelish and OPI...so there is more of a choice for my clients!

Personally,...I still favour Gelish over any of the others

i do mine and my mums something different and eyecatching each time and then clients tend to want the same. i live in a village and found that once one or two mums had been they were telling everyone else and its grown from there....i do nearly all shellac now and the odd bio sculpture...i love it and cant believe how i lived without it!!!

Excellent work and word of mouth will build you a business. Patience! x

We only use Shellac where we are and have watched our natural-nail business grow tremendously over the past 3 years since Shellac was introduced to the market .. We have never needed to offer another choice although I realise some do. We are happy to keep things simple and it has been more than enough.

All it took was beautiful work on a few clients with nice natural nails and the word spread phenomenally quickly amongst clients and their friends. What you do will speak louder than words. Best of luck.

Take a picture of a shellac set of fingers at two weeks ( to show they still shine and are still chipfree etc but have regrowth) . Pop this up on your facebook page with a good description .
I did this last week on my fb page and got three new clients within 30minutes from that One picture , all ladies who have never had shellac but have heard of it :) xx

Thanx ladies! Will try all your ideas! I want to be strictly a natural nail tech as it appeals to me more than enhancements and was so excited about shellac, thought I would have loads of enquiries!! Perhaps I should call my self a 'shellac technician' just as poppy off eastenders did! Plenty people in my area watch that!! Haha!! :) great idea about the shellac with regrowth! I also think I don't have the right people on my Facebook! As most of them are young, so are more for the fake look!! I need to hit the right target market! :)

Thanx ladies! Will try all your ideas! I want to be strictly a natural nail tech as it appeals to me more than enhancements and was so excited about shellac, thought I would have loads of enquiries!! Perhaps I should call my self a 'shellac technician' just as poppy off eastenders did! Plenty people in my area watch that!! Haha!! :) great idea about the shellac with regrowth! I also think I don't have the right people on my Facebook! As most of them are young, so are more for the fake look!! I need to hit the right target market! :)

The people on my facebook are a mixed bag of ages - I did shellac with cowprint this morning on someone with cows faces on the thumbs :lol: and it wasn't one of my younger clients either ....not everyone's cup of tea but its what's she asked for and she loved it :) x

Aww yeah! I understand that! I just mean they are pretty much all young! I have no middle-aged and older ladies! Which I think would promote the shellac to better to start off with xxx

It's hard at first but just stick in there. Honestly once you get a few people on side, the rest is word of mouth and will fall into place. Offer a "competition" and offer half price or free shellac prizes if u have to. I did an introductory offer for 2weeks after training and this gave people who had never heard of it to give it a go. Also, my clients all say they like how enthusiastic I am about shellac. They can tell I'm genuine about it and that I truly believe in the product and it's not about the money.

Great ideas! I might do a comp and see how it goes! I just wish I could get the mums etc of my area on my Facebook and interested xxxx

Do you have school age children at all? You could arrange a coffee morning with some of the mums and give them a one nail demo perhaps? Or just have some colour pops on display and just get chatting about Shellac. Arrange it for when your own Shellac is around 10 days old, this for me has worked a dream as people can't believe it's been on that long and still looks so perfect

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

I don't unfortunately! I'm only young myself, I wish I did sometimes thorough! Would be great for business, haha!! I have little brothers and sisters aged 14 12 and 12 may see if anything comes up at there school I could be involved with, I work full time and am building my business around this so schools sometimes ain't the best option! Worth seeing if anything around after school though! Xxx

Yep word of mouth works wonders. Also I find that it's people who wouldn't go for extensions that prefer Shellac, like the ones that normally wear nail varnish.
Try getting friends to wear it, do some awesome art with it, and they'll be so impressed they'll tell everyone about it! :)

I don't unfortunately! I'm only young myself, I wish I did sometimes thorough! Would be great for business, haha!! I have little brothers and sisters aged 14 12 and 12 may see if anything comes up at there school I could be involved with, I work full time and am building my business around this so schools sometimes ain't the best option! Worth seeing if anything around after school though! Xxx

Working full time AND trying to build a business to take over from that is nigh on impossible.

I've always fond that part time commitment (and I understand why you are doing it) equals a part time result. It can't do any other. But I also understand that folks need to work and hold down a job if they are self-supporting. If you are not and have support from family then give it what is needs which is MORE commitment and time if you can. If not, then I'm afraid it is going to take forever to build anything that will support you.

Remember that I have mentored hundreds of people in the same situation you are in. Until you give it your all .. you will only yield a mediocre result. It would be nearly impossible to do any other.

If it is any help. what people have said to me in the past is, "I wish I had left work years before and concentrated only on my nail business." That experience is worth listening to if you have that entrepreneurial spirit.

Also as well hold a shellac party. Ask one of ur friend to host it. Or A mum that u kno. Get them to get all their mates round to try the new craze in the nail world and offer the host a freebie or heavily discounted price? People are always willing to do that if something's in it for them. I find that if I'm loyal and good to my clients they are the same to me. It's a two way relationship x

I think I will just do some free, and half price just to get my name out there!! :)

Latest posts

Back