How to get recognised as a great lash tech?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LieLash

Reaction score
Hi ladies, looking for some advice and personal experiences to answer the above question.

So I've been lashing for about two years now and have thrown myself in to being the best I can and trying to make a name for myself as a great and recognised lash tech ( like blinkin gorgeous.)
I get so disheartened when looking at the great nail techs on this forum that get the recognition they deserve for such amazing work they do. But I'm just not sure how to keep promoting my business and getting my name know in the lash industry.

Other than my advertising ( all of Lynn's thread has been pretty much done) and as well as doing the best job I can on my clients I don't know how to keep pushing the business and get my name out there.

I live in the south east of Kent and think that possibly it's not a great area for lashes. My full set of lash extensions price is £40 which is cheap in my opinion but from experience people just won't pay any more than this in my area, and would rather pay £20 for a badly applied set of clusters. Most of my lash clients just have them as a one off only for special occasions as they find the up keep too much, but I do see most again throughout the year when they have a holiday, wedding etc to go to.

I work from my home salon, I did try working in a salon as their lash tech thinking I would get more recognition of working in a well known salon but soon found that their promise of a great customer base turned out to be false and I was earning peanuts at the end of the day.

So I'm just not sure where I go from here and feel like I'm plodding on, trying hard to better myself and getting nowhere.

Any advice would really be appreciated ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1379340268.977420.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1379340286.990812.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1379340306.833111.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1379340328.290352.jpg

Hi your work is lovely, to get more work you could do a recommend a friend say £5 off their infill, do you have a website were you can put your pics on, as alot of people look online now, you would be surprised how many people advertise online but dont show their work, hth .

Lashes are really hard to get the hang of let alone master and on this basis I think you are really talented :)

It's a shame they don't (to my knowledge) do lash competitions in the way that they do nail competitions. Maybe you could look into educating for a lash brand though?

Lashes are really hard to get the hang of let alone master and on this basis I think you are really talented :)

It's a shame they don't (to my knowledge) do lash competitions in the way that they do nail competitions. Maybe you could look into educating for a lash brand though?

I was also going to suggest why dont you look into the training route? :) xx

Your obviously doing a fantastic job. Your lashes are lovely! Wish you lived nearer to me :(
Xx

I am sort of in the same position as you, except I have only been lashing for a couple of months and am not as good as you ! I am struggling to get people through the door ! Your lashes look amazing and you should be proud at your work. Keep believing in yourself, because then others will believe in you as well.
Maybe you could do an open evening by having a client on the bed to demonstrate to new clients or have a couple of people with full sets there with you and show them off on a beauty evening.
Good luck :)

Hi your work is lovely, to get more work you could do a recommend a friend say £5 off their infill, do you have a website were you can put your pics on, as alot of people look online now, you would be surprised how many people advertise online but dont show their work, hth .

Yes I have two websites. Facebook pages, leaflets, pics if my work every where - refer a friend, loyalty scheme, lash parties. Student lash discounts, see u name it I've done it!!!! Arghhhh

I have no advice but i just wanted to say, I totally understand how you feel, I am also Kent Based and find there is so many non technicians doing eyelash ext and Shellac nails! This upset me as im trained CND and why they can get hold of the polish at the shows to then go and do it for £5/£10 its killing the industry and ive seen the same for lashes! It really upsets me as your clearly excellent at your work and it feels like we have to work for nothing these days! I will not anymore I stick to the right prices and just go with recommendation over time you will get valued reliable customers who will only pay that much more for quality! I hope things pick up for you soon :)

Thanks
Louise :))

I seriously think you need to put your prices up!
Sometimes people think that they are going to price themselves out of the market.
Quite often people will get busier when they put their prices up (only if they are good, which you are).
You are better than your competition and yet your prices are the same. People looking to get their lashes done will have a look round and see that everyone is the same price and just assume that everyone's work is the same.
Put your prices up. People will want to know why you are more expensive than everyone else and once they see your work they will be willing to pay more. Trust me, charge what you are worth x

I seriously think you need to put your prices up!
Sometimes people think that they are going to price themselves out of the market.
Quite often people will get busier when they put their prices up (only if they are good, which you are).
You are better than your competition and yet your prices are the same. People looking to get their lashes done will have a look round and see that everyone is the same price and just assume that everyone's work is the same.
Put your prices up. People will want to know why you are more expensive than everyone else and once they see your work they will be willing to pay more. Trust me, charge what you are worth x

What would you recommend that I put them up to?
Thought about it over the months but too scared to incase it put customers over but I totally agree with what you are saying.
I have done a lot of repair work on sets of awful lashes that were more than I charge for a full set?

Also no advice but I also find it so fustrating. Im based in kent and see people offering sp individual lashes for £8 and in there pics u can see there clusters. Its so hard to educate ppeple when it seems like your saying the opposite to everyone else x

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Maybe broaden your catchment area, and travel to clients farther afield!
Try and get advertised on wedding sites, or in the pack that wedding venues give to couples, u could offer your card!?!? How about doing a make up course, just to diversify, and get more bums on your seat. Once someone is there for a half hour getting a make up, you can up sell your lashes, and or get them booked in again.

Make up is also something people do for a special night out, or a wedding, but they are much more likely to spend 20 quid on a full face of make up, than 40 on lashes- and the. They are there to be up sold, told the benefits....

Do you just do lashes? I had a brainwave in bed the other night, not sure if it will be useful at this time of year more so summer, but when graduation time comes around or if you know anyone in university, maybe organise a lash/whatever else you might do party at their student accommodation (check the university will allow you first if it's in halls, mine did so they should). Offer 10% off retail for everyone & a gift for the host (maybe 20% off their treatment or something) good luck x

Do you wear them yourself?

Do you do any for people that are in the public eye a lot who can pass your card on, like shop workers?

Your lashes are stunning. May I ask what lash and glue brand you use?

I'm in Surrey but would be tempted to come to you for a set when I can xx

Sent from my HTC One X+ using SalonGeek mobile app

I work only from home and no longer do mobile lash services so broadening my area would be difficult.
im also a fully trained therapist in all nails treatments, pedicure, waxing, tinting, threading, soon to be shrinking violet and facials.

I live in a town with a university and play netball with lots of uni girls. Leaflets all given out to them, great discounts, I posted on their university page - face booked my some of my uni mates and got them to share my page. Left leaflets at the uni - I got clients?
Iv done it all really

It's not that I don't get the clients is more so that I want to get recognised both in the industry and by people that have their lashes done by me to be a great lash tech rather than just another person that offers lashes.

Do u think I'm asking to much and should just sit back and keep lashing x ?

Unfortunately I think it's a time thing & unfortunately lashes generally don't have as much recognition. I'd definitely think about going the training route :) x

Well I for one can not wait to have my lashes done by you hun and I will most certainly be telling everyone where I got them done! :) xxx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Well I for one can not wait to have my lashes done by you hun and I will most certainly be telling everyone where I got them done! :) xxx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thank you very much :)

Do you wear them yourself?

Do you do any for people that are in the public eye a lot who can pass your card on, like shop workers?

Your lashes are stunning. May I ask what lash and glue brand you use?

I'm in Surrey but would be tempted to come to you for a set when I can xx

Sent from my HTC One X+ using SalonGeek mobile app

I wore lashes for 2 years but they really weakened my lashes so I had them removed and can't find a good lash technician near me.

I have done sets on my hair dresser to advertise and got a few off her as well as sets on verdy Perfy on Salon geek.

I put them on my mother who coaches ladies netball as well as college girls, and put them on a few teachers too. ( but learnt that students have no money)

I use the Lash base products - I did use the flirties glue but it went off too quickly and is very expensive so now using lash base extreme glue and loving it. X

I would do two different sets. A natural set for at least £50 (50-60 LPE) and a full set £75. You could also add a glamour set if you wanted. Maybe train in the new volume lashes too.
I know what you mean about getting someone to do your own lashes. I am getting mine done in 3 weeks for a wedding and I'm making a 6 hour round trip to get them done!

Latest posts

Back