How to get the MOST out of SG?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VHunter

Reaction score
I wonder if there aren't some people who don't understand HOW to get the most out of this website?

Here's my opinion, take it or leave it.
Feel free to add to the list.

• Have an open mind.
  • Accept that sometimes, you are WRONG and be willing to learn from it
  • Accept that while you may not like the answer given to your question, that doesn't make the answer wrong
  • READ!! Read EVERYTHING! The tutorials, the articles... everything!!
  • Don't be afraid to try someone else's way of doing things, to see if it works for you AND give it a FAIR trial.
  • Be sure to understand that you will NOT get it right the first time and that you DO have to PRACTICE.
  • Accept the fact that you will never know everything and will always have more to learn.

I'm sure there's more. But at the moment, that's what comes to mind.
I am witnessing far too many threads where folks aren't accepting the help given to them, nor the advice.

IF before posting, you think you're right and aren't open to other ideas and/or opinions; then please don't waste everyone's time.

HOWEVER if your mind is open.... get ready to learn and learn LOTS because I guarantee it's worth your while.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent post, Victoria. :) At the moment, I can't think of a thing to add.

The tutorials really are amazing. As a newbie I would suggest making notes from them easy short notes then actually going and practising whilst reading your notes. I always accept advice but am guilty of not following it properly. Not out of disrespect but out of rushing.

Too much emphasis is put on time. Please newbies if I have learnt one thing recently it's that rushing will never make you a good nail tech. Take your time while you are learning. Once prep and application are good your timings will automatically co me down because you will have less lifting and filing of bumps and uneven surfaces.

I say this as a newbie myself and now I have acted on the advice and not just skimmed through it, my nails are About a hundred times better. Great post
V. Xxx

This is a great post, I Agree with all points Victoria. It gives us ALL something to think about. I hope people take it in! X x

Please use the SEARCH button!! I am getting really bored of the same questions being asked.(mainly tans,nails and eyelashes) Obviously I don't even bother reading them anymore.

Cannot agree more with all you have said...'have an open mind' definitely top of list, might just add a couple...

*SG is about giving and taking, make sure you do both.

* Always read your post out loud before you push 'submit reply' because sometimes things do not sound as friendly and helpful as they are meant to be over the internet.

Great thread.

x

I wonder if there aren't some people who don't understand HOW to get the most out of this website?

Here's my opinion, take it or leave it.
Feel free to add to the list.

• Have an open mind.
  • Accept that sometimes, you are WRONG and be willing to learn from it
  • Accept that while you may not like the answer given to your question, that doesn't make the answer wrong
  • READ!! Read EVERYTHING! The tutorials, the articles... everything!!
  • Don't be afraid to try someone else's way of doing things, to see if it works for you AND give it a FAIR trial.
  • Be sure to understand that you will NOT get it right the first time and that you DO have to PRACTICE.
  • Accept the fact that you will never know everything and will always have more to learn.
I'm sure there's more. But at the moment, that's what comes to mind.
I am witnessing far too many threads where folks aren't accepting the help given to them, nor the advice.

IF before posting, you think you're right and aren't open to other ideas and/or opinions; then please don't waste everyone's time.

HOWEVER if your mind is open.... get ready to learn and learn LOTS because I guarantee it's worth your while.

I completely agree!! Very good post.

I would also like to add that as advice GIVERS, we should remember to have grace, tact, and above all, professionalism when replying to someone who may not be quite as experienced. Remember when we were just starting out, and how we would feel if someone were to jump at us with harsh spoken "advice." :hug:

I completely agree!! Very good post.

I would also like to add that as advice GIVERS, we should remember to have grace, tact, and above all, professionalism when replying to someone who may not be quite as experienced. Remember when we were just starting out, and how we would feel if someone were to jump at us with harsh spoken "advice." :hug:

You are so so right. Nails are hard enough and have made me cry from time to time but a helpful understanding geek has always got me up and running again xxxxx

I agree with the Search engine. It really is a powerful little tool!

And proof-reading your posts. Not only for how it could sound to others, since text has no body language or inflection of voice, but for grammatical and spelling errors! We're supposed to be professionals. :)

Wonderful thread Victoria.

Just wanted to add ... we have a vast range of social groups on SG for the majority of professional products (for nails, for beauty, for spray tanning, for eyelash extensions and others), as well as models required, service swaps, regional geeks, and general, social and topical subject groups.

These social groups have dedicated members amongst them, who are willing to share their advice and knowledge, specifically relating to these particular subjects ... so much in the same way as posting threads to the main forums, discussions can be posted to these social groups also.

I agree with everything that has been said.

I have not long qualified, and still have so much to learn, i search first before i post as most of the time, someone else has asked the question.

Tutorials are very good and have helped me loads along the way, and of course so has Gigi's book.

Wonderful thread Victoria.

Just wanted to add ... we have a vast range of social groups on SG for the majority of professional products (for nails, for beauty, for spray tanning, for eyelash extensions and others), as well as models required, service swaps, regional geeks, and general, social and topical subject groups.

These social groups have dedicated members amongst them, who are willing to share their advice and knowledge, specifically relating to these particular subjects ... so much in the same way as posting threads to the main forums, discussions can be posted to these social groups also.

Now that really was interesting and helpful thank you. Xx

I agree.. But not sure why this is in the nail forum section.

I agree.. But not sure why this is in the nail forum section.

Probably because I was a dingbat and originally posted in the nail forum without realizing it, and a lovely mod moved it for us to where it ought to be.
My bad:o

Latest posts

Back