How to go over highlights, again?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinytoes

Reaction score
Hey all, was wondering how u would this. I did my sisters hair the other day. She had used box colours and had build up of it. Her hair was jet black with a little dark brown in between. She wanted T section red highlights so first her highlights was bleached to about level 7 with 6% peroxide. Then red toner was put on and left for about 15 mins. After all this is seemed like you could not see much highlights. Either something went wrong with the way i did the colour or i should have weaved more hair than i did when doing the foils.

I have to redo this again, how would you go about it? Sorry if i haven't explained it very well! I am learning:cool:

What toner did you use? And I'd wait for it to wash out or shampoo with a purify/clarify/deep cleansers Or what ever you call it with 20vol equal parts let sit for a few minutes then do one more with just the shampoo and see how it is there

It depends on how red she wants it.
By applying a red toner,rather than a tint,you wont get it as strong a red if that makes sense??
You need to check the condition via stretch testing etc before applying anymore colour as if youve coloured and toned over box colours the protein level will be low.When thats low the colour wont take as well.
Hope this helps
x

hey tinytoes, So you wanted red highlights, did you not think of using majicontrast or matrix so red, b affinage red etc as a red booster/highlighter on its own rather than highlights then toner. This way you would off got the desired lift on a natural/artifical base and it would have been a lot more intense/vibrant. xoxo

I did it today and the results were great! I used Wella Magma (red) /44 Intensive red with 3% peroxide.

I bought it from Sallys, it's brill cos it is a one-step colouring system which lightens even permanently tinted hair up to six shades and deposits tone in half the time! Pricey but worth it!

I am learning lots in colour now and beginning to enjoy it more:):)

Thank you for the replies and suggestions, (gives me things to think about).! i was keen to fix her hair and have just read all the replies here.

Sometimes it's good to make "mistakes" as such because you learn from them ;-)

Sometimes it's good to make "mistakes" as such because you learn from them ;-)

Hi Mollie - u are so right, i find i am learning more from mistakes:idea:

Latest posts

Back