SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
So when I did my course in Acrylic Overlay she said she didn't need to show me how to do an infill which at the time didn't worry me so much. Now I am at the point where I am wanting to start trying working on clients but the one thing I don't know how to do is this.... I have tried to find videos online, forum posts etc but they all usually use an E File. I do intend to train in that and if necessary I will just simply do removals until then. But could someone possibly walk me through a rough guide or advise me on any youtubers who show this minus the E File :)

Thanks

Abs x

It's really not somethingyou can learn from videos or a list, its a fundamental part of our work and needs to be taught as throughly as application and prep. I think you should invest in some further training, maybe on a 1-2-1 basis so you can concentrate specifically on what you want.

As nail technicians we need to always keep evolving. I did my foundation course in gel enhancements with CND, and we didn't learn to infill either. I did a few separate courses with various educators and brands to learn more, like reverse French, gel babyboomers, different shapes, infills and rebalance, etc, which was never part of my foundation course. It's always valuable to keep taking courses. I urge you to do what Trinity said, invest in a 1-2-1 with a good educator, learn good ways to do rebalance, including dealing with lifting, which inevitably will happen in the beginning of your career (and even after years you can still get clients with lifting).

The gist of infill: remove old gel colour, and if needed (depending on growth) thin out part of the apex area (the goal is to rebuild the apex in the correct place, since it will have grown out at this point), push cuticles, prep the natural part of the nails etc, and place your product at the grown out area to fill this part. Then check the nail from various angles to see if you need to place more product at the apex area. Finish file, and apply new colour. If the customer wants to shorten the nails at infills, then do this, but also when you do, the free edge will be thicker where you've shortened it, so you'll need to reshape. :)

As nail technicians we need to always keep evolving. I did my foundation course in gel enhancements with CND, and we didn't learn to infill either. I did a few separate courses with various educators and brands to learn more, like reverse French, gel babyboomers, different shapes, infills and rebalance, etc, which was never part of my foundation course. It's always valuable to keep taking courses. I urge you to do what Trinity said, invest in a 1-2-1 with a good educator, learn good ways to do rebalance, including dealing with lifting, which inevitably will happen in the beginning of your career (and even after years you can still get clients with lifting).

The gist of infill: remove old gel colour, and if needed (depending on growth) thin out part of the apex area (the goal is to rebuild the apex in the correct place, since it will have grown out at this point), push cuticles, prep the natural part of the nails etc, and place your product at the grown out area to fill this part. Then check the nail from various angles to see if you need to place more product at the apex area. Finish file, and apply new colour. If the customer wants to shorten the nails at infills, then do this, but also when you do, the free edge will be thicker where you've shortened it, so you'll need to reshape. :)
Thank you so much ladies! I am probably going to keep going with just straight up removals and I'm booked in for the e file course but abit of a way, away and hopefully get a good 1 2 1 booked although this was my initial course or enquire about maybe a refresher just covering mostly that :)

I agree with Trinity, it’s something you should be taught on your course. Application, removal and infills. I’d love to only do new sets but unfortunately it’s just not feasible.
The vast majority of my work is infills/rebalances as you want your clients to return regularly.

I agree with Trinity, it’s something you should be taught on your course. Application, removal and infills. I’d love to only do new sets but unfortunately it’s just not feasible.
The vast majority of my work is infills/rebalances as you want your clients to return regularly.

They don't necessarily teach this on all courses *shrug*. I wasn't taught either removal nor infill with CND on my foundation course, and many other brands don't really teach it either, apart from a couple minutes talk about moving the apex back. There's nothing much to be done about this so I fully understand why she has come here to ask.

They don't necessarily teach this on all courses *shrug*. I wasn't taught either removal nor infill with CND on my foundation course, and many other brands don't really teach it either, apart from a couple minutes talk about moving the apex back. There's nothing much to be done about this so I fully understand why she has come here to ask.

I’m so surprised CND don’t include this in their course! Its on day 5 of their beginners L&P course. It’s just as important as application.

I’m so surprised CND don’t include this in their course! Its on day 5 of their beginners L&P course. It’s just as important as application.

As far as I know now you go back 2 weeks later with your model for the second part. In fairness it was a separate course when I first did my CND Foundation course 16 years ago, but I booked on it at the same time as the foundation course.

As far as I know now you go back 2 weeks later with your model for the second part. In fairness it was a separate course when I first did my CND Foundation course 16 years ago, but I booked on it at the same time as the foundation course.

Looking back, this would have been very helpful to have a whole day just to focus on infill, but it was not available or offered to us. We had a 6 day course (monday-saturday), and an exam some 6 weeks later, theory and practical. Though to be fair to them, it would have been nearly impossible for most of us students to bring in the same model 2 weeks later, as it was hard enough to get strangers to show up the initial time. Most of us students travelled hours, some even flew out, to partake in the course, and so we didn't know anyone in the city. That's why I had to get a random off the internet to volunteer as model, which isn't ideal for a nervous newbie of course... Not to mention my model lady really wasn't patient or sweet at all, but that's a different story. :p
It all ended up working out in the end, I had a lot of fun on my course, my educator was very good, and they had a nice spacious venue for the classes. It's just the infill and a couple other things that could have benefited from some more focus I feel.

Latest posts

Back