How to look after yourself?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tattooed beautician

Reaction score
Hi
Just wondering if people had any tips of what they do to care for themselves?
I have ended up with repetitive strain in my wrists and I quite often get a bad back, and have recently been considering going to a physiotherapist or chiropractor to make sure they don’t get worse and that I don’t ended up with a curved spine ect.
Does anyone do anything like this or anything else? Iv seen a lot of people also recommended stretching on a morning.

Hi
Just wondering if people had any tips of what they do to care for themselves?
I have ended up with repetitive strain in my wrists and I quite often get a bad back, and have recently been considering going to a physiotherapist or chiropractor to make sure they don’t get worse and that I don’t ended up with a curved spine ect.
Does anyone do anything like this or anything else? Iv seen a lot of people also recommended stretching on a morning.

What treatments do you do?

I know first hand how horrid spinal problems are! Wouldn’t want anyone else to suffer. I finished my spinal treatment a while back, adjustments are fantastic but expensive and medicine is cheaper but costly when regularlyand made me no good to anyone in terms of function.

Your hands are your job and your life. There are some exercises you can do, which I’ve started as I’m starting Swedish in August. I am sure I read them in a beauty study book.. have you tried them? I do mine while I’m at the gym between sets as my hands get neglected otherwise.

Have also adjusted my couch as high as it goes (unless expecting a client particularly large when I have to lower it to avoid damage - it doubles up the wood legs for stability), and I’ve been doing the massage stance for other treatments if I need to.

I would also highly recommend getting massages too. Catch22 for us really haha.

What treatments do you do?

I know first hand how horrid spinal problems are! Wouldn’t want anyone else to suffer. I finished my spinal treatment a while back, adjustments are fantastic but expensive and medicine is cheaper but costly when regularlyand made me no good to anyone in terms of function.

Your hands are your job and your life. There are some exercises you can do, which I’ve started as I’m starting Swedish in August. I am sure I read them in a beauty study book.. have you tried them? I do mine while I’m at the gym between sets as my hands get neglected otherwise.

Have also adjusted my couch as high as it goes (unless expecting a client particularly large when I have to lower it to avoid damage - it doubles up the wood legs for stability), and I’ve been doing the massage stance for other treatments if I need to.

I would also highly recommend getting massages too. Catch22 for us really haha.
I do nails mainly and a lot of nail art so I sometimes find myself leaning closer to the Nails. I stoped doing massage as it made my wrist hurt too much.

I do all beauty treatments and have done for the past 16 years and I do suffer with a very bad back these days!! So much so I’m now considering working from home so I can be in control of my own diary. We all know how bosses can be thoughtless when booking continuously back to back!

Honestly my biggest tip would be to tell you to speak up if something isn’t right for you in the workplace. Is your chair uncomfortable or your mani station too high in comparison to the chair. Do you need a wrist support whilst doing nails? Do you need your lunch break earlier or later to help you recover from constant nails?

Do you take enough breaks in between clients? Ask your employer if they can to give you a small gap after a few clients so you can stretch and move - I’m sure an employer would prefer this to sick time off injured....

I now see an osteopath regularly and have massage a lot these days but honestly this costs me £200 - 300 a month I could do without spending on a beauty therapy wage BUT if I’d looked after myself earlier on and had a massage and an Osteo appointment every 4-6 weeks I wouldn’t have such a bad back now. I took my early years in my career for granted as many of us do!

An Osteo would also give you exercises to do and ways to preserve your current level of health hopefully minimising your risk of chronic RSI.

:) xx

Latest posts

Back