How to make more money re: NSS & MMA

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VHunter

Reaction score
NOW that I have your attention...........

On an almost daily basis, I hear/read complaints regarding the following:

- NSS ruined nails of my client
- NSS is undercutting my prices
- NSS is ruining the reputation of Acrylic
- NSS is selling service as 'Gel' but using Acrylic
- I had to remove MMA and it was a horrible job etc.
- Such-n-such company is retailing Knock-off's of XYZ and claiming it's XYZ
- blah blah blah and etc.

HERE'S A NOVEL IDEA: HOW ABOUT BEING PROACTIVE?

Whining and complaining will change NOTHING. And frankly, it's annoying.
However, being proactive WILL change something. History has proven this many times over.

On a personal note, I have been Proactive.
  • I have created an FB group with the objective of educating and informing consumers and techs alike; with the goal of establishing standards where there are none.
  • I have approached local media and had an interview on radio, a FULL HOUR interview on the very subject of MMA & NSS.
  • Due to posting educational info and resources on my website, other local media found me and interviewed me for a TV newscast.
  • Due to same, I was interviewed by a Magazine.
  • I have written letters to provincial and federal government.
  • I have had a meeting with a local politician on the very subject.
  • I have called various government offices.
  • I take every opportunity to educate the public.
Other than complaining, what is everyone doing?

My suggestion is this:
Instead of complaining and being negative, why not use that very same energy and effort to be PROACTIVE and make an effort to creating change in the Industry?

And frankly, the whining comment "nothing will change" is a sorry excuse if ever there was one. Througout history, it has been proven time and again that PROACTIVE EFFORTS BEGET CHANGE. For causes far more dire than this one.

If everyone works TOGETHER and makes honest and sincere efforts, change will come.
But if everyone wants to be apathetic, then things will remain the same.
You decide.

IF by chance you are interested, and want to participate in the movement, please feel free to join CATANSS.
Thank you.

(ps: please refrain from commenting about another nss/mma tragedy-complaint on this thread. That's not the purpose of this thread. Thanks)

Can we have a link to the Facebook page?

I have just sent a request to join from my personal fb x

Yep, tried that before posting but it doesnt come up on mine, does it matter what country/area youre in?

I can see a Mr Catass and various others but cant pick out the one I need!

joined!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Its very simple:
  1. raise awareness
  2. encourage consumers to demand better of their government
  3. establish standards and legislation
  4. reduce NSS & MMA
  5. increase our client base as a result
  6. WE set pricing scale instead the NSS
  7. we earn FAIR wages
  8. consumers get better and safer value for their money.
win/win for everyone

Local government licensing of these establishments would be brilliant, a mandatory standard which all techs need to adhere to. Minimum training standards and all top branded companies getting together to make a national licence. Now wouldn't that be heaven.

Hmm. Now who to start talking to.

What I have often wondered is how the hell these places get insurance in the first place? They shouldn't be able to unless they are using approved products. I mean do these people actually have full training which is guild approved for example??? why isn't there more people complaining/standin up to these jokers??

I also think that you shouldn't be able to practise as a nail technician without obtaining a license from an approved trainer, that local councils should be checking this when they apply to set up a business. I thought things like this were checked anyway or is this me being silly :( lol

I've inserted my replies below:

What I have often wondered is how the hell these places get insurance in the first place?
Many don't even have insurance.
They shouldn't be able to unless they are using approved products. I mean do these people actually have full training which is guild approved for example???
That would depend on where you are located around the world, what legislation is in place and how seriously that legislation is adhered to.
Here in Quebec/Cda, the inspector came, checked smoke detectors, looked for a fire extinguisher and that's it, that's all. Wham Bam, thank you mam, I had my permit. Didn't care about storage of flammable products. Didn't look at products at all. Didn't enquire or check my sanitation/disinfection practices. Didn't even raise an eyebrow about the dogs on the premises (I work from home)
why isn't there more people complaining/standin up to these jokers??
You tell me. Have you ever complained to your government? Have your clients/friends who have experienced issues due to NSS ever filed complaints with their government or health inspectors etc?

I also think that you shouldn't be able to practise as a nail technician without obtaining a license from an approved trainer, that local councils should be checking this when they apply to set up a business.
Ditto and more...
I thought things like this were checked anyway or is this me being silly :( lol
You're not silly. Just uninformed. Like MANY are... 'uninformed'.

The Industry, as a whole, across the board is in a tangle. Frankly, I don't understand why Manufacturers/Distributors/Educators themselves don't make more noise and endeavour to make change. They'd win in the end, with increased sales because the NSS would have to step up their game.

I've inserted my replies below:

The Industry, as a whole, across the board is in a tangle. Frankly, I don't understand why Manufacturers/Distributors/Educators themselves don't make more noise and endeavour to make change. They'd win in the end, with increased sales because the NSS would have to step up their game.

Now this I wholeheartedly agree with. The likes of CND OPI Decleor etc to name but a few are massive in the beauty world.

Why oh why don't they do more. You only have to say Shellac and everyone knows who you are talking about. Why not the same advertising for getting the industry up and running legally and competently. Like you said it would mean techs could charge more and buy more and subsequently train more.

A few months back I asked on here why we couldn't have our certificates made into a credit card sized system which we could keep on us at all times. Every company join the same scheme and issue these with every bit of training you did with a qualified educator. Nail techs beauticians, hairdressers, everything beauty orientated. Could you imagine the impact if we all showed these to our clients. Teach them if your tech etc cant produce one don't usenthem because they may not be competently trained.

probably could be done at a fairly minimum cost to the companies but at a massive impact on the beauty industry.

Thing is lots of people murmured but no one replied.

Xx

With regards to your 'credit card' idea (a GOOD one I might add)...

This all goes back to what I posted about way back when (oh gosh, who knows how far back), about UNITING and STANDARDIZING Education and Legislation right across the board.
This would mean that COUNTRIES would even have to have some sort of agreement between themselves.
At this point in time........... NOT gonna happen.
Although having a passport/credit card for Nail Techs/Beauty Professionals would be LOVELY.

BUT if that is ever going to be a reality, then in every country and jurisdiction; standards and legislation must be established first. Once Licensing is a reality for EVERYONE, THEN we could look at your credit card idea and unite everyone together.

BABY STEPS YOUNG JEDI :D

Just to say ... That we at CND are and always have been very proactive re education and this is how you raise standards in the industry and also the standards of the NSS.

Rather than beating on the governments door (who has the time and they take so long ... Been there and done that for 25 years) there is another way ... And it's being done, and it is starting to work. Just look in Scratch magazine at the SEA-side articles that have been running for the last 3 months ... Instead of just scanning through the pictures of nail art that no one does in the salon ...

Education is the way forward ... And the ability to inspire those who need it to get it. At the least, it is doing something positive NOW instead of waiting for the government to actually act. And by the time they do act, those we have educated will be well on the way to getting their 'licenses' and will probably be the first to have them.

Last edited:
Now this I wholeheartedly agree with. The likes of CND OPI Decleor etc to name but a few are massive in the beauty world.

Why oh why don't they do more. You only have to say Shellac and everyone knows who you are talking about. Why not the same advertising for getting the industry up and running legally and competently. Like you said it would mean techs could charge more and buy more and subsequently train more.

A few months back I asked on here why we couldn't have our certificates made into a credit card sized system which we could keep on us at all times. Every company join the same scheme and issue these with every bit of training you did with a qualified educator. Nail techs beauticians, hairdressers, everything beauty orientated. Could you imagine the impact if we all showed these to our clients. Teach them if your tech etc cant produce one don't usenthem because they may not be competently trained.

probably could be done at a fairly minimum cost to the companies but at a massive impact on the beauty industry.

Thing is lots of people murmured but no one replied.

Xx
i love this idea.carrying you qualifications around can be heavy stuff along with you client folder etc
also if we were to get rid of nss all to together what would be our unique selling point we all would be the same:smack: lol

Just to say ... That we at CND are and always have been very proactive re education and this is how you raise standards in the industry and also the standards of the NSS.

Rather than beating on the governments door (who has the time and they take so long ... Been there and done that for 25 years) there is another way ... And it's being done, and it is starting to work. Just look in Scratch magazine at the SEA-side articles that have been running for the last 3 months ... Instead of just scanning through the pictures of nail art that no one does in the salon ...

Education is the way forward ... And the ability to inspire those who need it to get it. At the least, it is doing something positive NOW instead of waiting for the government to actually act. And by the time they do act, those we have educated will be well on the way to getting their 'licenses' and will probably be the first to have them.
totally agree the government is a waste of space how are they going to stop the nss when the gov do cuts to public services that are legal and are vital here :rolleyes:

This is very true and and I don't dispute it.
Hence why, although I have certs from local schools for my qualifications, I'll be taking my qualifications AGAIN with CND. I have FINALLY found a Distributor/School that offers TRUE/REAL CND Certified training. Why would I do it again? Because it's the only training that is recognized world wide, in Quebec. (When my budget allows of course LOL)

Rather than beating on the governments door (who has the time and they take so long ...

But to my knowledge, Techs etc haven't united in a large force to do the same. The numbers weren't there. AND it's not the techs we need beating on the government doors. We're too small in number. We need CONSUMERS beating on the govt' doors. Their voice is far louder than ours. Hence CATANSS. Uniting TOGETHER to great a voice that will be heard.

Been there and done that for 25 years) there is another way ... And it's being done, and it is starting to work. Just look in Scratch magazine at the SEA-side articles that have been running for the last 3 months ... Instead of just scanning through the pictures of nail art that no one does in the salon ...
I would love to see these articles, if you wouldn't mind scanning and emailing please? Unless there's a link for them? THANKS

DEFINATELY. Education is always the way forward. But nothing wrong with folks devoting 20min a week to inspire the consumers to act, and encouraging THEM to beat on the government's door.
And YES, while we focus on our skills and our qualifications and then legislation kicks in, we'll be sitting pretty in the driver's seat ;-)

i love this idea.carrying you qualifications around can be heavy stuff along with you client folder etc
also if we were to get rid of nss all to together what would be our unique selling point we all would be the same:smack: lol

If you look at your peers here on SG, what are your unique selling points compared to them? Qualifications should NOT be a 'unique selling point'. They should be a given and assumed.
Unique Selling Points are about other differences in your services.
Unique selling proposition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

totally agree the government is a waste of space how are they going to stop the nss when the gov do cuts to public services that are legal and are vital here :rolleyes:

I'm proactive on 3 fronts:
- Against NSS/MMA
- Pro-Bilingual in a Province of Canada that is reducing the rights of Anglophones based on LANGUAGE.
- Animal rescue, and Animal rights.

For all 3 of the above, I have:
-Attended protests
-Shared information, educating the public
-collected signatures on petitions
-submit letters to government officials
-contacted local media
etc.

Due to my mouthing off on a public forum regards local politics in my city; I encouraged a group be formed to guarantee that our city continues to provide information in English for English citizens. We petitioned, we shared info, we protested, we confronted local govt officials, we spoke to the media.
Guess what? After a month of sincere effort, we SUCEEDED.
Mayoress, councillors ink bilingualism petition | Politique | Actualités | Montérégie

A $250,000 translation request | Politique | Actualités | Montérégie

Info not always available in English | Communautaire | Actualités | Montérégie

We're still fighting, and still pushing. But we're getting there. We don't have our bylaws yet, but we've won the battle to making sure that we haven't lost ALL English services and Information.
What the above proves is that you have to RAISE AWARENESS and incite the PUBLIC to join your battle.

Government is NOT going to stop anything if they don't have to.
And they won't bother trying UNLESS the public makes a racket and a bunch of noise and DEMANDS change.
Change, whatever the issue is, will NOT occur unless folks get off their butts and make REAL effort.

Allow me to point out:
What we accomplished for our city was achieved in a matter of less than a month.
  • With members of the group sharing and posting all over Facebook
  • Members of the group PHYSICALLY collecting signatures (not using a website) for a petition.
  • Members/Citizens attending two council meetings.
  • I probably spent a total of 20hrs of my time over the course of a month on that cause. 20hrs is NOTHING!
Facebook is a wonderful tool for enacting change. I see it happen all the time.
It takes SECONDS to post a status, that incites others to join your cause.

Additional food for thought:
Many, many, many moons ago I was told I was stupid and wouldn't amount to anything. That I couldn't do anything right. That I was ugly and useless. That I didn't have the brains of a flea.... etc.

Not only did I prove that person WRONG, my personal mantra is "don't tell me that I can't, because I WILL".

You CAN do anything you set your mind to.
IF
You are willing to work hard enough.

Someone once said that slavery would never end.
Yet, it did.
And that was a far more dire and complicated issue than this.

With regards to your 'credit card' idea (a GOOD one I might add)...

This all goes back to what I posted about way back when (oh gosh, who knows how far back), about UNITING and STANDARDIZING Education and Legislation right across the board.
This would mean that COUNTRIES would even have to have some sort of agreement between themselves.
At this point in time........... NOT gonna happen.
Although having a passport/credit card for Nail Techs/Beauty Professionals
would be LOVELY.

BUT if that is ever going to be a reality, then in every country and jurisdiction; standards and legislation must be established first. Once Licensing is a reality
for EVERYONE, THEN we could look at your credit card idea and unite everyone together.

BABY STEPS YOUNG JEDI :D

Ooooooh I've always wanted To be a Jedi lol. I understand what you are saying I'm too impatient by far lol xxxx

Latest posts

Back