How to move on with Nail Extensions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jules30

Reaction score
Really needs some help and advice with how to move on with nail extensions. Just over 2 years ago I completed an intense nail service course and then went on to complete my NVQ level 2. I have been trading mobile and from home since then and have built up a good client base. I work evenings and Friday and Saturday daytimes as also work part time in an office and have to children.
I started by offering all services but was really struggling with the extensions so stopped offering them and kept telling customers I was not offering them at the moment as trailing new products.
Since I stopped I’ve gone back and done further training, always watch lots of videos and read Gigi book (as recommended on here) and I have tried to get some work experience in local salons but no luck. I have practiced loads on hand trainer, friends and me, the first application lasts ok but after infills I seem to have problems with lifting and breakage also not always happy with shape.
In the last 2 weeks I have had 6 enquires for acrylics and turned them all away. I just don’t know how to move forward and build my confidence so I can start offering this service again. I feel like I need to do more training but don’t know if this is the answer.:irked:
Your help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ahh bless you I know exactly where you are coming from. I suppose the best place to begin is in what products you use for your L + P and try to find training with them.

Im CND trained and feel that you need to accept that to become the best you can be you need to train regularly and not just at the beginning.

Tonight I went to do a set of nails and when I got there I pooped myself the girl literally had NO NAILS :sad:. I have never done anything like this, you couldn't stick a tip to them because there would have been no room for acrylic, so I sculpted. So ok they weren't my best nails and the client wasn't massively happy with the length because I did them short. But hey ho I tried my best and told her to stop biting her nails and contact me in a week and I would see how they were going and next time I would give her more length once she had a little more nail bed.

So now I need training in how to deal with these situations lol. So don't give up and good luck in all that you do.

BTW if you dont have a particular brand give sweet squared a call with your NVQ2 in enhancements Im sure you can convert to CND and then training is in abundance. There is also NSI, Young Nails and lots of other companies Im sure offer fabulous training as well.

Good luck hun xxxxx

The best thing you can do when you are 'stuck in a rut' is to find an expert at training and get some help on a 121 class. Normal training does not always meet every individual's needs and you need someone to watch you work and see where the troubles lie.

Do you do your own nails? Great way to not only practice, but to really see how your work stands up to the rigours of everyday life.

It is one thing reading my book :hug: ... It's another to work with it by your side and to master the techniques contained in it! 'Nailclass' isn't a novel. You don't pick it up and read it .. You work with it chapter by chapter; following the instructions and developing techniques that produce beauty and longevity.

I suggest you get in touch with Sweet Squared and have them put you in contact with Hannah Rowland who is a CND education Ambassador in your area or ring the Creative Nail Academy in Bournemouth who have the lovely Jem there to assist and assess what you are doing.

All the best. This is the best advice i can give you to help you to move on.

Last edited:
Thank you for you replys. You have both confirmed what i already thought, currently use CND products but not used their training and i think one to one if the way forward for me.

Geeg i'm always doing my own nails they seem to last fine until i do the infills. And the book is always by my side along with the computer so i read then watch then apply.

Thanks again ladies :)

Latest posts

Back