How to: network your way to success

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salon Tracker

Reaction score
One of the most important skills to possess as a business owner is the ability to network. (Don’t worry, we’re not about to go all Kevin Bacon/EE on you here.) It’s great to keep loyal customers sweet but you need to appeal to new audiences too which is why it’s so important to keep evolving your business. You aren’t on your own with this. Think about how competitive Sainsbury’s, Tesco, Asda and Morrison’s are with each other. They all want to be number 1 in the FMCG market and we don’t just mean by price matching (although we do appreciate 4 hefty muffins for £1 at our local Sainsbury’s). Have you noticed that most big businesses use an “associate” to link themselves with? We’ve already mentioned one who we’ve probably all sighed at in the cinema. This is a common theme throughout the advertisement world because in doing so a brand simply, extends its networks. Assumptive, but by “sharing” networks, everyone who likes Jamie Oliver will want to shop at Sainsbury’s, every female to drool over Gerard Butler in P.S I love you will now buy their significant others, Hugo Boss aftershave. It doesn’t always work but you get the idea.

What can salon owners take from this?

Every business owner is in the same situation, big or small! Do you wanna be number 1, of course you do! You can use this information to your advantage by networking with businesses that aren’t your competitors and engaging with each other’s loyal customer base.

Some might say beauty salons should appeal to florists and feminine things. Here I will strongly disagree. Ladies who get a manicure every 4 weeks at the same salon aren’t always ladies of leisure. You need to think of the lifestyle of your stereotypical customer, their home life, work life and day to day localities. My point here is that just because a female might get her nails done every four weeks it is far too assumptive to say she won’t need use of a local DIY shop or nearby garden centre. My point is, it’s not all flowers, health clubs and bridal shops so remember to leave stereotypes outside the door when networking. You know your customer's as individuals so this is something to take into account too. Some great ways to provide your new business friends’ customers with your updates are to share each other’s Facebook/ Twitter posts, provide the other business with leaflets for potential clients, allow poster advertising in each other’s base and even ask to promote your salon offer via their e-newsletter.

Oh and remember… Every Little Helps ;)

Latest posts

Back