How to NOT cover grey hairs?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I have an unusual request. I've been "transitioning" my hair to it's natural grey. The last time I had highlights and toner was in August last year. The back is quite dark underneath with less grey. There's a lot of new growth - which is all grey - especially around the temples.
I do not want or need highlights, and I do not want the red/warm tones that come out when highlights and toners are applied. The colourist makes it red/warm and I hate it - even when I say to make it more blue or purple, he makes it reddish, not bluish.
I use Ethique shampoo and conditioner bars (have used for three years plus) and I'm really happy with the condition of my hair. They have a purple shampoo and conditioner bar which I have used in the past. My stylist loves how soft my hair is.
I do use Brilliant Silver White after washing my hair sometimes, and it leaves a pastel purple hint of colour at the ends if I use too many drops, but doesn't cover the red tones at the ends completely.
I want to show the grey, but remove/camouflage the red undertone from the previous colour at the ends.
What hair colours will NOT cover the grey, but will cover the darker hair, or at least cover the red tones? Are there dyes that don't cover grey, but will cover the coloured ends? or am I stuck waiting another two years to grow the last of the colour out?
My hair and nails grow super fast. I had a pixie cut in Dec 2018 and have had two to three inches cut off twice a year for the last three years.

EDIT: I don't want a permanent colour over the top, I don't want foils, I don't want anything that will require an appointment with a colourist every month. I want something that will not stick to the grey, but will deposit some colour on the damaged hair that was coloured before. I don't want to use anything that requires peroxide - from 1.5% activator to 40 Vol. I don't want to bleach my hair at all. I won't use box dye. I don't want foils. I don't wish to damage my hair, but would like to tone down the red in the ends to make it more like the shitty flat mousy brown that is the natural colour until it grows out in a year.
Something like the Brad Mondo Hair Masks in Grey and Blue (not available in my country) that I can mix to get some shine and colour without the chemical damage of a bleach or toner.
Grey hair.jpg

Attachments

• IMG20230516100409.jpg
    IMG20230516100409.jpg
    810.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Are you a hairdressers? Even demis can give a very translucent stain. The only thing ai can think of is foiling the ends and/or toning them.

Are you a hairdressers? Even demis can give a very translucent stain. The only thing ai can think of is foiling the ends and/or toning them.
I am not a hairdresser, I'm a beauty therapist.
I don't want to use any bleach or peroxide - so toning is not an option. I am not looking for a permanent option, just something that will last three washes is fine. I only wash once a week so it would be a three week colour for me.

If you choose something like Shinefinity from Wella, Shades EQ from Redken etc the level of PH is so close to neutral that it will not be able to lift or damage your hair. Also the red pigments are there it is not a residue from toner because the toner is washed out and even a stain wouldn't be red because if you told the stylist that you dont want a red who would put red there ?? :D
So choose a good toner with 0 lift and close neutral PH you can apply it on wet her to even lessen the chemical process.
Or if you think that toners makes your hair red and you are looking for something that will shift your hair from red to more ashy and it is not a toner... well...
You can max try the pigmented mask Chroma ID or Color Fresh Mask
But its hard to tell from that picture (more showing your gray hair are and not the problematic area )... IF your hair returning back to reddish colour everytime sounds like it was not lifted enough :) so back to bleach issue :D

I am not a hairdresser, I'm a beauty therapist.
I don't want to use any bleach or peroxide - so toning is not an option. I am not looking for a permanent option, just something that will last three washes is fine. I only wash once a week so it would be a three week colour for me.
Even though there is a developer I feel like shinefinity. I can't remember the percentage but the developer for shinefinity both is lowered then 1.9% and doesn't really shift the hairs ph level. It's supposed to only really allow a cuticle stain. But it's pigment is strong. It's not really good for covering greys but it can add a cellophane-like coverage to the hair. You should leave it on for 20 mins because it's colour deposits in the first 5 mins. The last 5 mins is the glossing deposit.

Try Elumen GY@9 or GY@6
they are grey so will tone down any brassiness.
Elumen is non-oxidated direct dye, no developer.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back