How to profile a target client type

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PixieBeauty

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm helping a friend look at the business & marketing aspects of her hair salon. We are looking to expand the client list (who isn't) but I'm struggling to get marketing & business ideas going without a target clientele. As a mobile nail tech I had my clientele clearly defined but not being a hairdresser or salon-based I wanted some other valuable opinions from SG.

How did you identify your client & what factors did you consider in that process? My friend is drawing a blank and can't say what features they would have.

Can anyone offer their experiences? Also do you think this has been Important in helping your business to grow?

Thanks in advance x

I am just at the minute writing an assignment on marketting, a huge segment was in segmentation.

Are you looking to segment the market you friend currently has, or looking to segment the market as a whole? Then target that segment?

Jemima :)

I am just at the minute writing an assignment on marketting, a huge segment was in segmentation.

Are you looking to segment the market you friend currently has, or looking to segment the market as a whole? Then target that segment?

Jemima :)

Hi Jemima,
She is looking to gain more clients & wants to advertise & attract more customers. I'm helping but have said rather than a bunch of random ideas let's profile who your target clientele is and then come up with a strategy to attract them...but she has no idea who that would be. She wants to just attract everyone but I don't think that's a viable option for building a business. She also doesn't know what her USP might be & we are struggling with gaining any ground so I wanted to know what sort of factors people used for identifying their target clientele.

Eg for me, mobile nail tech I was targetting an older client with disposable income & time to be pampered since all my treatments were higher end (pricier) & non-essential compared with getting a haircut. So I'm new to the hair sector & wondered what experienced stylists or salon owners deemed as important traits or characteristics. Would love any help or pointers xx

You friend needs to think carefully about whether she wants to target high end middle road or value. Then she needs to look at if her salon surroundings fit her choice, her product and colour range, her skill set and finally look at competition in each of these areas to find the right pricing structure that also fits with her current overheads.
If she has no budget for making her salon flashy for example she will probably be better aiming for middle road or value. Also she needs to also look at neighbouring salons and try to find out the age ranges in the local area large businesses and other public amenities. To help make a start write these elements as a list and get brainstorming the more info you have the more you can best identify the target consumers available In Your area and how your friend can best serve them with her salon services.
Hth x

Sent from my HTC Desire X using SalonGeek mobile app

I would prob start by looking at my. data base now and target the big spenders who come regular

Oops didnt finish bleedin phone grr.
Find out where they live, job what they read etc and target that way. That just the start, goodluck :)

You friend needs to think carefully about whether she wants to target high end middle road or value. Then she needs to look at if her salon surroundings fit her choice, her product and colour range, her skill set and finally look at competition in each of these areas to find the right pricing structure that also fits with her current overheads.
If she has no budget for making her salon flashy for example she will probably be better aiming for middle road or value. Also she needs to also look at neighbouring salons and try to find out the age ranges in the local area large businesses and other public amenities. To help make a start write these elements as a list and get brainstorming the more info you have the more you can best identify the target consumers available In Your area and how your friend can best serve them with her salon services.
Hth x

Sent from my HTC Desire X using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks for this, that's a fantastic help to get us started. Much appreciated xx

Oops didnt finish bleedin phone grr.
Find out where they live, job what they read etc and target that way. That just the start, goodluck :)

Thanks that's a brilliant idea too. Much appreciated xx

If your friend has a Facebook business page she will be able to use the paid for promotions to target her client type. I've found this to be very useful and gained many likes and enquires from just promoting my page alone, once I use it properly on the desktop version I will select my target market and use it more effectively. Hope this has been some use to you

If your friend has a Facebook business page she will be able to use the paid for promotions to target her client type. I've found this to be very useful and gained many likes and enquires from just promoting my page alone, once I use it properly on the desktop version I will select my target market and use it more effectively. Hope this has been some use to you

Thanks that's a great idea, will add it to our list for January :)

Xx

Latest posts

Back