How to promote Xagerrate /Myscara

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miss Pink23

Reaction score
I currently offer lash extensions and am very busy with it, but all this hype around semi perm mascara is intriguing me. Now Flirties (who I trained with) are just about to release their version-Xagerrate.
My question is: how do you promote the semi perm mascara over semi perm lashes? I dont want to loose clients to the mascara as the lashes have more profit in them and more chance of repeat business, but also dont want to get one timers having the mascara when normally they would have opted for the lashes (and then become hooked):?:
Also, what is the going rate for the mascara (I appreciate price is region related)

i have some clients that simply do not do very well with the lash extensions and so only have them for special occasions BUT cannot wait to have Xaggerate mascara, this means im actually getting more business from these clients, also you can use the mascara for bottom lashes when doing a set of eyelash extensions. Mascara is also perfect for those that cant afford the lash extensions but 'need' something and those that are simply too busy to be applying makeup such as those that go to the gym, mums and those with busy jobs, my clients are hooked on lash extensions and for those that werent already the introduction of xaggerate as just gained me more business.

Ive put the mascara on special offer for £25 but will be putting it at £35 and £12 for bottom lashes with eyelash extensions

Thank you, that is really helpful.

I too have done the Flirties course and am now poised to do my Xaggerate training. I was going to suggest the bottom lash idea which I think will be great with the lash extensions. There are a lot of clients who will have the Xaggerate mascara without ever considering lash extensions. I have been prepping all my clients over the last couple of days, also my cleaner, hairdresser, a lady in the supermarket queue, next door neighbour and a couple of friends of my son. This is a huge market, a bit like the gel polish market, women who would not normally come to a salon will be some of our best clients. :)

How would you explain the difference to clients, as extensions need infills every 2-4 weeks and from what I can gather the mascara lasts about 2 weeks and then they have it done again (if they want)?

I cannot see women paying 35.00 every 2 weeks on a regular basis for mascara .. Semi permanent or not. For holidays, yes, particularly it will be hugely popular I think. But on a permanent regular basis, as long as the price is that high for a 30 minute treatment I don't think it's going to happen. If the treatment lasted for a longer time, then my opinion would be different.

I agree that for those who wear eyelash extensions, the bottom lash option will be very popular.

What I think concerns me the most is that I really do believe that like the gel polishes, I think the semi-perm mascara will go to the consumer as soon as. Most consumers know how to apply polish, and most know how to apply a mascara with a wand. Very easy to go consumer with both ... Perhaps even easier with mascara.

The semi-perm mascara is not an expensive cost of service. It's the training costs that need to be re-cooped and the trainers who, while the original rush to Market ensues, will be banking the money. Just my opinion.

I would be a prime candidate for a mascara that actually worked. I love having lashes but my eyes hate them being on! I don't have an allergic reaction as such but my eyes are always bloodshot afterwards for a few hours and I find it really really difficult to lie there for ages with my eyes closed and someone fiddling with them.

Mascara really appeals but if i'm honest I wouldn't pay over £30 every couple of weeks unless it made a huge difference.

To get me as a client to try it I'd want to see an array of before and after pics of good quality on real people, not extreme close ups where you can make even the shortest of lashes look thick and long.

I did mean to say that I will be offering a brow tint and shape in the £35 and includes both top and bottom lashes for mascara.

People can buy tint from boots but still come to the salon for a professional job same with tweezers and wax and nail polish etc.

I have no problem keeping clients and they come back 2-3 weekly already for lash extensions infils at £30-£40 because they want them doing they could always buy some and apply at home.

As with all treatments you have to look at your client base and where you are situated in Manchester city centre in a high end salon surrounded by professionals as well as shoppers and those that are visiting nice hotels such ad the Lowry. If I was somewhere else I would prob reconsider my prices but I have over heads and my time and quality professional products to add into a service. Many of our clients spend £100/£150 every 6 weeks on hair they could do it themselves at home (not very well) for a lot less.

So yes look at everything that makes up your costs prior to choosing a price.

I've been mentioning it to clients for the last few weeks and I've mainly had interest for holidays, weddings, people who have trouble applying mascara due to eyesight and older ladies who currently have tinting. I agree that it won't be something that people in general will pay for every 2-3 weeks, but I do think it has it's market. x

I cannot see women paying 35.00 every 2 weeks on a regular basis for mascara .. Semi permanent or not. For holidays, yes, particularly it will be hugely popular I think. But on a permanent regular basis, as long as the price is that high for a 30 minute treatment I don't think it's going to happen. money.

Completely agree, especially when my semi permanent lashes start at £40. I charge £25 for CryBaby.

However, I don't think it will make it to the consumer market as it isn't a treatment you can do on yourself (and believe me, i've tried)! Ended up looking like the elephant man!! LOL

It is definitely an "eyes closed" treatment so I think it's unlikely that it will be available for clients to do at home. (Thank Goodness)!

I have also found that clients choose one treatment or the other. My regular lash girls aren't interested in CryBaby (except for bottom lashes) and girls who I lost because they didn't get on with lash extensions are now coming back to me for Semi Permanent Mascara.

Last edited:
I have done the MYscara course and do agree that £35 is a hefty price to pay every two to three weeks.

I have an introductory offer of £25 but tbh I'm thinking that this is the price it should be.

I would be a prime candidate for a mascara that actually worked. I love having lashes but my eyes hate them being on! I don't have an allergic reaction as such but my eyes are always bloodshot afterwards for a few hours and I find it really really difficult to lie there for ages with my eyes closed and someone fiddling with them.

Mascara really appeals but if i'm honest I wouldn't pay over £30 every couple of weeks unless it made a huge difference.

To get me as a client to try it I'd want to see an array of before and after pics of good quality on real people, not extreme close ups where you can make even the shortest of lashes look thick and long.

Hi,

I trained with MYscara and it does make a huge difference.

Deffo worth £30-£35.

Before/After shots are the best way to go for promotion, but seriously, the product will sell itself to those who want a more natural look, those who can't wear EE, holiday makers etc etc.

I do offer EE by the way and now MYscara and am working on getting these shots to add to my website.

With MYscara, I really believe in the product so my passion for it will help promote it.

EE will always be worth £50+ depending on area and must never be devalued.

We sit there for upto 2 hrs creating the perfect look and it will always be on my menu but semi-perm mascara is well worth around £30 as it's a quicker treatment with really amazing results.

X

How would you explain the difference to clients, as extensions need infills every 2-4 weeks and from what I can gather the mascara lasts about 2 weeks and then they have it done again (if they want)?

Hiya,

It lasts about 2-3 weeks then really should be removed and if required replaced.

If they want removal only, I charge £10 and that includes a mini conditioning eye treatment.

The best way is to educate the clients, I explain the 3 stages of a hair's life during consultation.

X

Hiya,

It lasts about 2-3 weeks then really should be removed and if required replaced.

If they want removal only, I charge £10 and that includes a mini conditioning eye treatment.

The best way is to educate the clients, I explain the 3 stages of a hair's life during consultation.

X

Do you mind me asking what you do for the mini conditioning eye treatment?

Do you mind me asking what you do for the mini conditioning eye treatment?

Yeah me too :) I am trained in Myscara and love it , I also wear it not done it myself btw and its the best way to promote your product x

Could I just ask how many sets do you get out of your kits or refill kits. I agree with Gigi that this is too expensive for every 2 weeks and it is not because women won't want it but because they won't be able to afford it.

I am one of the annoying therapists who has always worked out my own pricing depending on the area I am working in, cost of product used and time spent, also demand and the yuk factor! :cool:

70 to 90 sets I think it was depends on how many coats your putting on x

MYscara will do 90 x 2 applications. It also does last longer than 2 weeks. I also agree with the fact that clients are prepared to go to a salon every couple of weeks to have their nails redone, sometimes weekly, as with hair so why wouldn't they do the same for lashes if they are getting a professional treatment and some pampering ?? It may be they have to choose on giving up one treatment for another if they have a "beauty budget" but that is choice.

People can paint their own nails, colour their own hair but they choose to go to a salon.

Pricing is very area dependent as I know only too well in Wales. As long as you are not underselling your time and experience or the product. With the soak off nails, they can run from 20-75 per set. Here it is between 20-25 per MYscara treatment but in London and the Home Counties can be more.

I dont think it is the objective is to claw back training fees as why should this type of treatment be any different than training in a nail, skin or hair treatment. I can only go by our training costs though and the return you get on the training kit.

Here we feel 45 mins to an hour is a good timeline for treatment to relax and pamper our clients but may differ elsewhere as does any other treatment. Why this new kind of treatment is being considered as some kind of bandwagon I really don't know, any more so than the new category of soak off polishes may have been viewed when this new category appeared in the early days. Spray tanning another example. Time will obviously tell :)

Last edited:
MYscara will do 90 x 2 applications. It also does last longer than 2 weeks. I also agree with the fact that clients are prepared to go to a salon every couple of weeks to have their nails redone, sometimes weekly, as with hair so why wouldn't they do the same for lashes if they are getting a professional treatment and some pampering ??

People can paint their own nails, colour their own hair but they choose to go to a salon.

Pricing is very area dependent as I know only too well in Wales. As long as you are not underselling your time and experience or the product. With the soak off nails, they can run from 20-75 per set. Here it is between 20-25 per treatment

I think even mentioning 75.00 per set of soak off gels is pushing it way too far and definitely not representative of the prices out there (which are between 20 and 30 for soak off coloured gel polishes!) pretty much tops and the appointments are every 3 weeks normally and clients cannot do it themselves .. at least not with every product. :biggrin:

WE ALL put mascara on every day. It would be great to not have to do it for 2 weeks while on holiday .. for others of us it is a normal routine thing we do every single day. I would not pay someone else to do it and get virtually the same result. And I would say I was pretty typical.

I wear eyelash extensions 90% of the time . They last 6 weeks for me (the limit) and I take great care of them when I have them (also not the norm I would guess). But I am prepared to pay because for 6 weeks I don't have to bother with them and they look fab (thanks Jack)!

I would not be prepared to pay myself, more than 25 for a 2 week treatment duration (the third week they look pretty pants IMHO) one is having to fill in with mascara to make them look good and most of us do that anyway. In fact I wouldn't pay it unless it was maybe for a holiday and I'd rather have EE's.

I think they have a place, a use for some for certain occasions but I will pay more for EE and have them last 6 weeks, and do it regularly. I would not pay for a mascara regularly when I do a cracking good job myself (and even that I can normally keep on for 2-3 days with just a 2 second touch up).

Well I say 75 as I know for a fact this is what some London techs charge and good luck to them if they can get it i suppose. Anyhoo I am not getting into Ping Pong...Each to their own xx ;)

Latest posts

Back