How to put on weight?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I know most people want to know how to loose weight but I really want to know how to put on weight, I'm really petite and absolutely hate it I have two little ones and my little boy is so demanding so constantly on the go

It's been getting me down lately as everyone always comments on how tiny I am, I was my happiest when I put on a bit of weight after having my second baby but it all disappeared

I have been doctors and they didn't take me serious and I have trawled the Internet but only advice comes up for men wanting to build muscle

I am nearly 25 but feel like I have the body of a 12 year old and always have people saying to me they can't be your kids you look like a baby which after hearing so many times starts to stick!!

My guess would be up your calorie intake slightly do it goes on slowly but still eat healthy :) x

Is your BMI under 19? Do you have good muscle tone? If you are under weight it can be really hard to put on naturally but you can buy really high calorie shakes called build up to name one.

Do you have regular eating patterns? Eat junk? Smoke? Stressed? I used to do all these when my BMI was 18 and could never put a pound on but when I started eating healthy, regular meals/ fruit smoothies, gave up smoking and got some hold on the stress my BMI went from 18-25.3 in 5 months!

Now I'm struggling to lose a few pounds so I can remain healthy but fit SOME of my clothes! Lol

Good luck putting weight on if that's what you feel you need but do you think when you reach your Target size you will be truly happy or would you be likely to find something else to criticise yourself about?

Sorry if that sounds a bit raw but can't think of a nicer way to voice my thoughts if that makes any sense.

Lindsey x

Hi to be honest i have no idea what my bmi is, i have been scared to weigh myself, when i last went to the doctors i was in the right region for my height so there was no concern for my weight.

but its a bit embarrassing when my little sisters have more curves than me i would rather be in the curvey category than skinny category but maybe it just wasnt ment to be for me, but theres no harm in trying.

unfortunatly i do smoke and i do feel this is a factor as i think it supresses my apetitite, but i am in the process of setting a quite date. as just starting my own mobile beauty business dont think its a good look being a smoker and i hate being a smoker. i have quite many times before but i dont know what it is about summer i always end up starting back. i aint a heavy smoker.

i eat alot of foods high in carbs but probably not enough, as i dont have a big appetite, i have started drinking special shakes but not been doing for long enough to notice a change.

i dont find your comment harsh at all theres loads of stuff that would make me happier but this is the one thing that would make me the happiest if i could achieve it.

What about healthy foods that are high in fat? Example nuts are good for you but are fatty. Dont eat unhealthy fats, if you go to the gym ask a member of staff what foods you should be eating, and what training you should be doing! Look online at some recepies aswell.

I have heard nuts are good not sure which ones going to have a quick search now, thanks.

you can also buy powders to help you gain weight like complan from Boots. Alternatively you could buy something like the slim fast drinks and not have them as a meal but have them as a drink during the day to help up your calories to avoid trying to boost your calories with high sugar, high fat junk :)

If you are really unhappy, even though the GP told you you have a healthy height to weight ratio. I would suggest seeking professional support and education from a qualified Nutritionist/Dietitian.

You can either go back to your GP and ask for a recommendation (not a referral, as they clearly do not see the need and NHS money is too tight for anything less than what is deemed a clinical need). Or seek one out yourself. I have no idea how much they charge, but if it helps to change your situation, or indeed helps you to accept it, then it's money well spent.

Good luck :biggrin:

Thanks everyone for all giving such great advice now going to put it all into action ;)

Eat loads of protein!! You can buy protein shakes aswell and Drink lots of Coke :)

You need a good balance of nutrients and you can get these by eating a mix of carbs, protein, healthy fats and veggies. Like losing weight it's daft to start cutting things out, when trying to put weight on it's daft trying to eat one thing ie carbs/protein shakes. I know its difficult when you're busy but trying to eat 5-6 small meals a day would benefit you and your metabolism as it keeps it fuelled up rather than 1-2 big meals a day when you feel hungry. There're meal ideas for this type of eating regime on the Internet. Working out will also help (weights especially). They won't bulk you up as to bulk up it takes A LOT of hard work every day so don't be concerned about that. Im currently trying to lose a wee bit weight but I imagine that if you're unhappy with your body it feels the same regardless of whether you're light or heavy. I hope some of this helps-i studied this stuff for a wee bit a few years ago. Good luck-I hope you get the curvy figure you're after ;-). PGx

Healthy foods high in fat I'd say, like brazil nuts, full fat milk, cheese, my daughter had to put on weight and this is what sort of foods he suggested, hope you can put weight on ok x x

The hospital have told my dad to put on weight. They've told him to drink complan as well as he's normal food xx

I know most people want to know how to loose weight but I really want to know how to put on weight, I'm really petite and absolutely hate it I have two little ones and my little boy is so demanding so constantly on the go

It's been getting me down lately as everyone always comments on how tiny I am, I was my happiest when I put on a bit of weight after having my second baby but it all disappeared

I have been doctors and they didn't take me serious and I have trawled the Internet but only advice comes up for men wanting to build muscle

I am nearly 25 but feel like I have the body of a 12 year old and always have people saying to me they can't be your kids you look like a baby which after hearing so many times starts to stick!!

Your not alone i get that all the time.. Are you serious are thosr your kids or do you actually eat your so skinny it drives me mad too im not all that skinny yes im a size 8 but im petite and eat lots .. I also get asked all the time where do you put your food lol i use to want to put weight on but now im not bothered im going to enjoy my time of beeing slim and not have to worry about diets because im sure at some point in life i will it wont last forever :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Thank you, to everyone who took time to give me some advice i took note of all your good advice.

i installed 'myfitnesspal' app onto my iphone to keep note of how many calories i was consuming and this gave me a big wake up call! i wasn't even reaching my daily intake of calories now i am making sure i do and have already gained a little bit of weight, i would highly recommend this app to anyone trying to loose weight or gain weight.

Thanks again.

Thank you, to everyone who took time to give me some advice i took note of all your good advice.

i installed 'myfitnesspal' app onto my iphone to keep note of how many calories i was consuming and this gave me a big wake up call! i wasn't even reaching my daily intake of calories now i am making sure i do and have already gained a little bit of weight, i would highly recommend this app to anyone trying to loose weight or gain weight.

Thanks again.

Hi Hun, My sister in law used to struggle with being underwieight until she finally got diagnosed as being wheat intolerant. She is now not only feeling great but looking really healthy. Ask your GP to check you out. My Sister in law was this way all her life until recently, so ask!!!! She feels great now and I cant believe the change in her.

Thanks again.

Is this on android or i phone x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Hi Hun, My sister in law used to struggle with being underwieight until she finally got diagnosed as being wheat intolerant. She is now not only feeling great but looking really healthy. Ask your GP to check you out. My Sister in law was this way all her life until recently, so ask!!!! She feels great now and I cant believe the change in her.

oh wow glad to here she got diagnosed and is feeling herself again. if i don't notice any changes with all the changes i have been making will be going back to the docs but i think my case is just a matter of getting a healthy balance. thanks for sharing this with me.

thank goodness I'm not alone here ....all we generally hear about is weight loss problems and how to achieve this and there is much to look up on the Internet on this subject as well as many many products on the market designed to assist with weight loss.

For us that suffer from completely the opposite or who have for some reason suddenly lost a lot of weight there is little or no sympathy or general assistance either on the Internet or from our GP's

I have lost four inches around my already fairly slim waist over the last 3/4 years and despite tests from the doc's there is no rational behind the weight loss.

I'm eating regularly,good home cooked food as well as two body builder muscle gain drinks every day.

It would be fair to say that I actually eat twice the amount than most...from healthy greens to fatty foods,even a couple bars chocolate a day as well as a couple glasses of wine each night and yet...nothing the weight still seems to be dropping which is now becoming somewhat of a worry.

I am convinced that in this case like many its a mind driven symptom and until such times as life again becomes settled and contentment in life the weight will continue to be lost.

The mind is a powerful thing and can have serious connotations to our physical wellbeing.

Good luck with your problem and hope that you will find a way that enables you to regain the weight that you once felt comfortable in yourself with :hug:

Latest posts

Back