How to remove contact lenses with long nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cath4512

Reaction score
I am having a trial of monthly disposable contacts. I have got toric lenses for blended vision.
I can put them in fine, but am struggling to remove them as I have long nails. I have damaged one already & have been given a new one.
Has anyone got any tpis on removing them when you have long nails?

Don't know if they still do them, but my husband used to have a miniature plunger for his. Yes like you use for unblocking sinks etc but a miniature one. Ask the optitions.

Don't know if they still do them, but my husband used to have a miniature plunger for his. Yes like you use for unblocking sinks etc but a miniature one. Ask the optitions.

I have just googled it & that seems to be for gas permeable lenses, not toric....shame as I thought it sounded good lol

Hi.
You could try using your middle finger and index as oppose to index and thumb. Put your fingertips either side of the lense and bring your fingers together to lift it. Then pull out. Hopefully this will work.
Or you could use your index finger and bring the contact to the outer side of your eye so it creases together then pull it out with the help of your thumb.
If this doesn't work your best bet would be to get daily disposables so it doesn't matter if you tear them when taking them out x

Hi.
You could try using your middle finger and index as oppose to index and thumb. Put your fingertips either side of the lense and bring your fingers together to lift it. Then pull out. Hopefully this will work.
Or you could use your index finger and bring the contact to the outer side of your eye so it creases together then pull it out with the help of your thumb.
If this doesn't work your best bet would be to get daily disposables so it doesn't matter if you tear them when taking them out x

I will try that tonight, thanks x

Go in with the pads of your fingers - so that you are splaying them out, rather than pinching them in. HTH.

I just had to see how I remove mine (coloured lenses for nights out) and I use my ring finger and thumb. Thumb on the outside corner of the eye on a tilt and ring finger inside top (directly on the line from the bulbous part of the nose to inside of brow).

I've been told I need glasses but refuse to get them when I asked for contacts and was told by the optician to get glasses instead so as a protest I'm going without being able to see distance and barely work out what's on the sky listings 4meters away, are toric lenses the ones you put in and wear for a month and sleep in or the ones you take out for night?

If the ones you leave in 24/7 how do you find them for sleeping and waking? Xoxo

I've never got the hang of removing lenses straight off the eye iykwim. When I first started wearing them my optician showed me how to remove them by using my eyelids lol. Sounds really weird! Use both middle fingers just outside the wet line then sortof squeeze the lids together moving to the centre of the eye. The lens just catches and pops out in your fingers. Bit hard to explain I hope that makes sense!

Air x

I'm no help as I have the exact same problem! 1 night it took me near on 3 hours to get the bloody things out! I finally managed to get 1 out but was then blind in that eye which made it even harder to get the other 1 out! I had steaming bloodshot eyes and had to resort to literally scraping it out with my long nail (which I seriously do not reccommend!). I now don't bother with contact lenses!

I just had to see how I remove mine (coloured lenses for nights out) and I use my ring finger and thumb. Thumb on the outside corner of the eye on a tilt and ring finger inside top (directly on the line from the bulbous part of the nose to inside of brow).

I've been told I need glasses but refuse to get them when I asked for contacts and was told by the optician to get glasses instead so as a protest I'm going without being able to see distance and barely work out what's on the sky listings 4meters away, are toric lenses the ones you put in and wear for a month and sleep in or the ones you take out for night?

If the ones you leave in 24/7 how do you find them for sleeping and waking? Xoxo

Mine are monthly disposables but I have to remove them every night, which Im finding difficult atm. I have one lens in for distance & the other for close up work. It does take some getting used to tbh, but Im getting there.

I'm no help as I have the exact same problem! 1 night it took me near on 3 hours to get the bloody things out! I finally managed to get 1 out but was then blind in that eye which made it even harder to get the other 1 out! I had steaming bloodshot eyes and had to resort to literally scraping it out with my long nail (which I seriously do not reccommend!). I now don't bother with contact lenses!

It took me ages to get one of them out last night, but I love them. I will keep trying lol :)

Use your index finger, (right for right eye and left for left eye), angle your finger so that the nail points to the tear duct, then place the pad of your finger on the lens and run downwards, do this a few times and the lens will move to the bottom of the eye and pop away. Easy! x

I kind of use the side of my finger, the pad bits if that makes sense, if I have long nails and pinch them out from the side.

When I first got contacts years ago it'd take hours to get them in and out but you'll soon find what works best for you! I had to get my neighbour to go it once as I'd spent 2 hours trying and still couldn't get them in :(

Mine are monthly disposables but I have to remove them every night, which Im finding difficult atm. I have one lens in for distance & the other for close up work. It does take some getting used to tbh, but Im getting there.

It took me ages to get one of them out last night, but I love them. I will keep trying lol :)

You really should look into the ones you only take out once a month if your struggling so much xoxo

You really should look into the ones you only take out once a month if your struggling so much xoxo

I have only had them a week & its a free trial so I will see how I go on, but will ask about the others if Im still struggling after a month :)

Im on to my 2nd month of wearing contacts and it does get easier. I asked my friends who wear lenses to show me how they take there's out. (Which they all do differently) and I now I use a combination of all of them.

Stick with it!!

Xx

I've never got the hang of removing lenses straight off the eye iykwim. When I first started wearing them my optician showed me how to remove them by using my eyelids lol. Sounds really weird! Use both middle fingers just outside the wet line then sortof squeeze the lids together moving to the centre of the eye. The lens just catches and pops out in your fingers. Bit hard to explain I hope that makes sense!

Air x

I researched this method a bit more & have just taken them out with no problem at all. Thanks a lot for the tip...from one happy geek :biggrin:

Last edited:
With mine i use my forefinger, then rather than pinch it & pull it off i push it down and it kind of rolls down as i was scared of nipping my eye! Then u can get the end & pull it out!

this thread has some great tips, i usually only wear my lens for nights out etc and you should see me trying to get mines out, i look like a horror show with make up all over the place lol. i have one toric lense too ( apparently i have squooshed ball shaped eyeball) and one normal lense, i do find the disposal lenses much more comfortable to wear though x

I wear the contacts where you just change them once a month! Amazing! Sometimes i forget I even wear them, no waking up with gritty blurry eyes ( which is what happens if u fall asleep with disposable ones) defiantly recommend them . Again I use the pads of my fingers so I don't scratch my eye out!! Lol xx

I wear the contacts where you just change them once a month! Amazing! Sometimes i forget I even wear them, no waking up with gritty blurry eyes ( which is what happens if u fall asleep with disposable ones) defiantly recommend them . Again I use the pads of my fingers so I don't scratch my eye out!! Lol xx

What? U dont take them out at night or anything??

Latest posts

Back