How to speed up gel polish service?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I take 30 mins for colour, 45 mind French
45 min/1 hr for Reshellac

This is my routine

Remove polish
Apply cuticle away
Remove with soap & water
Shape nails
Scrubfresh
Base coat 10 secs
X2 Colour coats 2 mins
Topcoat 2 mins
Wipe sticky layer
Solar Oil

Simples :)
I talk to my client but make sure I work as I'm doing so, that way i don't waste time.
I give all my after care when the last hand is still curing, while im oiling the nails.
I think you should definitely cut the soaking out (as other techs have said) and possibly switch to a different brand that doesn't require buffing, primer etc as its obviously taking up more time.

In regards to the lamp, I don't believe you need an LED lamp.
It takes me 2 mins or just under depending on colour to paint one hand, so by the time one hand is finished in the lamp, the next is ready to go in.

I was told by the tech from my course that it should take 30 - 45 mins to do a Gel Polish. Well it is taking me an hour and a half. How long should it take to do this service. I'm using UV instead of LED so I know this is adding time. Any advice anyone. 😳

You answered this one for your self really.. LED lamp is the way forward :)

It makes everything that much quicker, go for it!

Rachel xoxo

Rather than doing all the prepping at the beginning. I wonder if it would help to prep one hand totally and the apply the base coat. Whist that hand is in the lamp, start prepping the other hand. Keep switching hands. You could almost finish the prepping of the second hand while completly finishing the first hand IYKWIM. I do it this way and I know it cuts down my time considerably.

Good idea! Xx

I'm not a nail tech but know smuff is a stylist as well,
When you first started colouring how long did a full head foils take?? Ages.

What would your advice be to someone else?

Take your time, do it perfect and your time will pick up over time,

Yes your right about that although I'm not super fast at foils either unless I've had quite a few in the week. X

Thank you every one. Your input to my query has put my mind at ease. I will put into practice some of your ideas and definitely cut out the soak. 😍

My prep
shape nails on right hand and apply cuticle remover
Shape nails on left hand apply cuticle remover
Remove cuticle on right hand now remover has had time to work and clean off remover
Ditto left hand
Remove shine with fine buffer both hands(omit this if using Shellac)
Cleanse and dehydrate nails on both hands

Then I am ready to apply my basecoat,colour coats and topcoat.
So you don't push cuticles back and remove hangnails? I'm trying to do it as fast as possible but it still takes time (too much of it imo). When I have a 'virgin' client with neglected hands it takes me up to 15 mins just to get their nails prepped! :mad:

So you don't push cuticles back and remove hangnails? I'm trying to do it as fast as possible but it still takes time (too much of it imo). When I have a 'virgin' client with neglected hands it takes me up to 15 mins just to get their nails prepped! :mad:

That can take more time, I've had clients that took me more than 30 mins for the cuticle removal.

Naturally if Izzi got a client with allot of work to do then she would do it and in that case it would take a little longer, but that is not really the norm with clients. Most clients who book for a mancure of their natural nails are people who have nice natural nails to manicure with hands and nails in a reasonable state.

Last edited:
Maybe I should just have posted the phrase cuticle work rather than remove cuticle....but rest assured whatever needs done would be done ;)
The vast majority of my clients are returning clients so prep is straightforward with most. Obviously a new client takes longer with a full consultation and possibly more prep required.

What exactly do you really mean by the "state of the nails"? You have to clean the surface of the nails when using Shellac ... That is IT! You don't have to buff them, you don't have to use a primer, you don't have to remove sticky tac from the surface ... Why should you have to do anything else but perhaps file the free edge?

I use the CND UV five finger Lamp and it does not hold me back. 30 minutes for painting ... 45 minute if removal is included. If anyone is taking an hour or more, it is not your UV lamp that is holding you up! It is how slowly you are applying the polish or how many extra processes you are having to include in your application when using gel.

You need to paint faster and I have posted tips here on how to do it.

I took your tips on board a long time ago and appreciate them very much, however first time shellac'ers I find need some tlc - more than a quick shape and cuticle remove.

I am not the op, I use the cnd 5 finger
Lamp and don't take an hour :s not sure how I ended up on the receiving end of this message when I was trying to help someone feel better :(

I tried to reply to this earlier on the app, dunno why it didn't go through.

You say you use a UV lamp and that you think an LED lamp would speed up your service. Speed up, it may; however it will not speed you up by 45 minutes - 1 hour ;) I would shelf that idea for a little while.

The thing that will speed you up is practice - and GOOD practice. We professionals may make the service look easy but precision polishing is a skill that must be learned.

Learn to chat while you're working. Don't lift your head up and stop working while you have a little chat. By all means, have a good natter but keep your head down and your file/brush moving whilst you do.

Also, like the others have said don't soak before a mani - all it does is waste time, saturate the nail plate and placate uneducated clients. It's totally unnecessary before a gel polish and may actually contribute to premature service breakdown.

She's right honey but it depends what condition the nails come in, in. My step mums are always foul as she has them
Only for occasions and its 20/30 mins before I've got them prepped because they are rank lol! Xxx

Thank you, I thought that when I posted this. Some nails do need TLC before a gel polish. 😎

Got to tell you ladies if I had any nail treatment without some eye contact, I wouldn't be back. I've gained many clients from salons where it's all head down zoom zoom, its an expensive service which costs minimal amounts so I don't worry that im not done in 30minutes- I can do if I have to but as others have said cuticle work can be a huge task even with regulars that don't come regularly enough lol 😉

I am sure we all chat to our clients, isn't that what really brings them back?:wink2:
BUT we need to chat and work, chat away during removal as that is the only down time but when painting my head only pops up for eye to eye contact when my clients tells me something really shocking or funny :eek:

When removing cuticle remover do u just use acetone, scrub fresh etc or do u wipe with a damp pad?

Got to tell you ladies if I had any nail treatment without some eye contact, I wouldn't be back. I've gained many clients from salons where it's all head down zoom zoom, its an expensive service which costs minimal amounts so I don't worry that im not done in 30minutes- I can do if I have to but as others have said cuticle work can be a huge task even with regulars that don't come regularly enough lol ��

Yes but there's a difference between bringing your head up every few minutes and working while nattering and completely stopping halfway through for a good long chat :)

At the end of the day, you've got to work out what's best for the client who is sitting in your chair at that time. Some don't mind sitting in the chair for a bit longer, others are time limited but still want the salon experience - which is where your head bobbing and chatting while working comes in :)

When removing cuticle remover do u just use acetone, scrub fresh etc or do u wipe with a damp pad?

I use CND Cuticle Away which must be deactivated with water - scrub fresh, acetone, etc won't cut the mustard.

I have a (monster-sized :lol:) spray bottle with water and a squirt of CND scentsations in then thoroughly cleanse the nail with my towel afterwards.

If you are using a different prep item then you should always check the manufacturer's instructions for that particular product :)

Thank you, everyone is really nice. It's so refreshing to get good honest advice which I'm not used to being in the hairdressing trade for so long. The hairdressing trade is well known for its lets say bitching. But on this website I have learned so much from it both hairdressing and nails. 😄

Latest posts

Back