How to spot a forum bully

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have felt bullied on here in the past on a couple of occasions, mostly on chitchat as its easier to be aggressive ,sarcastic and disrespectful to someones opinion on there :-/

Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek

I DETEST bullying of any kind. If I see any kind of inappropriate post I just report it, its not needed on a forum that is dedicated in giving people advice, not abuse.

Sent from my HTC Desire using SalonGeek

I have no idea who the "bully's" are that a few people have commented about!? but iv definitely stopped posting as many questions as I would like as iv seen a few sharp comments on here. Not nice x

I've slowed down on my posting for this reason :(

Hmm I wonder if we are thinking of the same people...hmm..

I think a bully is someone who picks on and belittles the same person repeatedly.

I haven't been aware of that on here.

The mods wouldn't allow it and anyway you can hit the red button if you feel a post needs to be reported.

Giving a sharp , short answer can hardly be construed as bullying though can it? Don't forget that answers are being given often in between clients .

I think arguing a point with another geek who obviously has much more experience is often just an attempt to save face . It's a bit like Macualey Culkin trying to tell Robert DeNiro how to act ....Really?

I think a bully is someone who picks on and belittles the same person repeatedly.

I haven't been aware of that on here.

The mods wouldn't allow it and anyway you can hit the red button if you feel a post needs to be reported.

Giving a sharp , short answer can hardly be construed as bullying though can it? Don't forget that answers are being given often in between clients .

I think arguing a point with another geek who obviously has much more experience is often just an attempt to save face . It's a bit like Macualey Culkin trying to tell Robert DeNiro how to act ....Really?

There did seem to be an incident of targeted bullying on the hair forum recently.

However I certainly agree this is a rare incidence on SG thank goodness.

This does not mean that bullying tactics are not being employed by some people to beat down others.

Short sharp answers are ok ish but it takes the same amount of time to respond in a measured manner as it does in a sharp manner.

This article and thread is not about arguing with others who are very knowledgeable. Although that happens and is equally ridiculous. Why anyone would wish to start an argument with an expert on their chosen area of expertise is a bit silly.

And although there are some inane threads started which can make you wish you had a gun there are people on here who use tbullying tactics freely and at will.

I would rather equip myself with intelligence and a good use of the English language than a barbed wire tongue.

Hair went through a few weeks of sheer nastiness but its all stopped thank goodness

I've been wondering for a few days what happened with the hair forum? I see Bluerinse, Thiago and the girl who is wella trained were all banned but can't see any posts to suggest why? I assume they were deleted?

Are these bans permanent or temporary? Does anyone know?

It's so wasy for the cyber world to spill into the real world!

Topics can become emotive because we're passionate about our industries. But I was told if you can't say anything nice-dont say anything at all. If you read your post and feel its a bit curt but don't have time or have a mental blockage it only takes a second to add that you don't mean to come across as rude, dismissive, condescending ect.

It's also a shame when a newbie starts a post along the line of PLEASE BE NICE IT'S MY FIRST POST!

You hear every now and then of cyber bullying that ends in the worst way possible and people feeling very low and taking extreme measures and harming themselves. It's important to remember and respect you don't know the person who reads a post and how a negative response may affect them.

Saying that there are lots of open friendly discussion and the good geeks are in the majority x

I've been wondering for a few days what happened with the hair forum? I see Bluerinse, Thiago and the girl who is wella trained were all banned but can't see any posts to suggest why? I assume they were deleted?

Are these bans permanent or temporary? Does anyone know?

I love reading the hair threads as I'm really interested in hair (although not a pro) but it was getting to be really uncomfortable wasn't it. I always felt like they were ganging up on a trainee so don't know why the trainee has been banned too. How long do the bans last for?

I love reading the hair threads as I'm really interested in hair (although not a pro) but it was getting to be really uncomfortable wasn't it. I always felt like they were ganging up on a trainee so don't know why the trainee has been banned too. How long do the bans last for?

I thought this to! Seemed the same person was always picking on him. Didn't realise they had been banned!

I thought this to! Seemed the same person was always picking on him. Didn't realise they had been banned!

Have been reading some old posts and the one that was being bullied got banned?!?! Weird

I'm so sick of all the rude and unnecessary comments its putting me off coming on here :-( x

The bullying isn't always obvious on threads. Little cliques form and they message each other to get the others to come on the thread and stir the crap and the disagree or be confrontational with the person they're ganging up on.

Also, if you notice that where there's some 'action' on a thread, that gets loads more views than other threads. So how do you work that one out?

Have been reading some old posts and the one that was being bullied got banned?!?! Weird

I used to feel really sorry for him. He was trying his best and his work looked fantastic too! I think they (hair pros) mistook his enthusiasm for arrogance. Wish he'd be allowed back he seemed sweet really and a very talented guy too. Don't know what went on for him to get banned?

I used to feel really sorry for him. He was trying his best and his work looked fantastic too! I think they (hair pros) mistook his enthusiasm for arrogance. Wish he'd be allowed back he seemed sweet really and a very talented guy too. Don't know what went on for him to get banned?

I felt sorry for him to! Never commented in hair but always have a nosey at what's going on!

Don't worry too much. The trainee is back on the forum in disguise.

Woah this will now replace broadchurch - who is he? (cue suspenseful music)....,,,,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back