How to start 1:1 training

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlotte Perrott

Reaction score
Hello,

Do I need any teaching qualifications to offer 1:1 training in hair and makeup? I only want to do a day course with one person (I have a tiny studio) I understand if I want to offer them a qualification then I'll need a VTCT qualification - but do I need one if I'm to give a 'certificate of attendance' for example?
Thanks for any advice
Charlotte

If you are charging them for the experience then you’ll need insurance cover and to obtain insurance for teaching/supervising, you’re likely to be required to have some formal training qualifications. Your current insurer will be able to advise you.

If you have someone assisting you in your work, then you probably don’t need formal teaching qualifications.

If you are charging them for the experience then you’ll need insurance cover and to obtain insurance for teaching/supervising, you’re likely to be required to have some formal training qualifications. Your current insurer will be able to advise you.

If you have someone assisting you in your work, then you probably don’t need formal teaching qualifications.
Thank you for replying. I currently hold a Level 2 teaching assistant qualification but that is for children under 16. I see loads of MUA's offering 1:1's and masterclasses - it makes me wonder if they're qualified to teach.

I wouldn’t expect your insurance to change if you’re just offering informal lessons on how to apply their own make up. Most make up advisers do that as part of the service anyway. So long as that’s all you are doing. The certificate you give them is just a nice touch but means nothing else (it’s not accredited) so I can’t see why you’d need further insurance. In my days of doing make up in a salon I was often asked for advice on how to apply foundation or eyeshadow. It’s no different.

Ah, maybe I misunderstood the OP?
I thought the OP wanted to teach others to be able to work as MUA’s rather than providing personal make-up advice?

Ah, maybe I misunderstood the OP?
I thought the OP wanted to teach others to be able to work as MUA’s rather than providing personal make-up advice?

I’m not sure. Just with the OP saying it’s not to teach a qualification so I thought it was similar to what I see a lot of MUA’s around here doing. Where someone comes in essentially to learn fir their own interest, not to enable them to charge customers and offer it as a service. I’m not sure.

Latest posts

Back