How to start a home nail salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Qutique

Reaction score
hello,

It has been a long time since I have posted on this forum. I have been very busy with my day job lol and I am now ready to focus on my part time job :)

Can anyone give me some pointers as to how I can start my home salon. Firstly I am going to register the business. How can I get my salon known, etc. Any pointers would be great. I graduated from school in January and I did a few course with OPI.

I am thinking of calling my salon "Studio Qutique" - "Your ultimate Beauty Bar". I will be starting from home and according to how it grows may branch out to a location in town.

Thanks in advance guys

hello,

It has been a long time since I have posted on this forum. I have been very busy with my day job lol and I am now ready to focus on my part time job :)

Can anyone give me some pointers as to how I can start my home salon. Firstly I am going to register the business. How can I get my salon known, etc. Any pointers would be great. I graduated from school in January and I did a few course with OPI.

I am thinking of calling my salon "Studio Qutique" - "Your ultimate Beauty Bar". I will be starting from home and according to how it grows may branch out to a location in town.

Thanks in advance guys

Firstly i would find out if your council,home insurers,mortgage lenders,landlord whichever you need to inform will allow you to run a business from your home.

Not sure if things work differently where you are but I registered as self employed, let council know, home insurance, set up my own public liability insurance, researched products and prices, dressed my room accordingly, designed and printed leaflets and advertised in the yellow pages and yell.com.

Dont think I missed anything, Good luck :hug: x

Firstly i would find out if your council,home insurers,mortgage lenders,landlord whichever you need to inform will allow you to run a business from your home.

Hi there
do you have to do all of this?:cry:
it sure seems like a lot of red tape :confused: why cant we just do it the way Christinarena says?
I mean there is a lot of people out there who buy and sell on a computer using their home as an office:|
or people that work from home on a computer I don't think they have to do all this
what is the difference?
why do you have to tell the mortgage company?
I thought if you register as self employed and have nail/ beauty insurance and pay your taxes and use one of your own living rooms (not a built on extension) you don't have to pay business rates
I thought it was ok to just set up in this way
Please tell me if I am wrong ?:hug:

I dont know about where you are, but here in Montreal Canada, I had to check with cityhall to see if it was allowable to run a business in my home. In some neighborhoods, it's not allowed. Selling online is different from clients visiting your home.

Then they come to visit, measure the area that is my 'work area', calculate the percentage of my property it is, and tax accordingly. That same percentage is used to calculate what portion of my mortgage/rent can be written off as a business expense, etc. Calculate the portion of your electricity/water/phone etc that relates to business expense.

Here, you only have to register with the government IF your annual salary exceeds $30k/yr, if less, then you are a private contractor/indepdant. Then you can just run your business under your own name BUT if you want a special name for it, then no matter the income, it has to be registered.
Get tax numbers where applicable
Get appropriate insurance.
Distribute leaflets, etc and other forms of advertising.
A website is a wonderful tool, and has brought SEVERAL clients my way, even if your site is only one page. Mine is built on tripod, a freebie site. It suits my needs for now and is doing what it needs to.

As i said, this is in Montreal Canada...
I'm sure it's different where you are, but my answer might help a little?

Hi there
it sure seems like a lot of red tape :confused: why cant we just do it the way Christinarena says?
I mean there is a lot of people out there who buy and sell on a computer using their home as an office:|
or people that work from home on a computer I don't think they have to do all this
what is the difference?
I thought if you register as self employed and have nail/ beauty insurance and pay your taxes and use one of your own living rooms (not a built on extension) you don't have to pay business rates

Well those people who are sat at home on the computer aren't working with the public, so therefore wouldn't need Public Liability insurance.

I think you can claim Tax back can't you? for working at home, because you're using your own electricity etc etc...

I see you are in Antigua so things may well be different there,but here to be all above board,totally legal with no chance of any repercussions you do need to inform certain people.
Its all to do with insurance and also protecting your neighbours from any inconveniences .At the end of the day a business is a business usually its no problem but people do need to be informed especially if you intend to do lots of advertising because you are then out there for all to see and you never know when anyone may want to investigate or cause trouble for you.

Hi there
what is the difference?

You are supposed to check your deeds to make sure you are allowed to run a business from home, no matter if you are working with the public or not. I was speaking to a friend about this and she contacted her council, as her deeds stated she was NOT allowed and they said that officially she is not allowed but there are so many people who do even in her close. with the government wanting less people to use their car and to 'work from home as much as possible' this would be difficult to enforce. I think the rules are a bit wookly. If you are doing everything by the book then really you should check your deeds/ask landlord.

good heavens !

I never thought to check the deeds to my house before I set up, I just got insured, registered with ni and the tax man, and check with my local building inspector ( council) who was checking our home out due to building work we have done .. never thought about the deeds !! I'll have to check up on that then

Latest posts

Back