How to strengthen nails after gel?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anna.22

Reaction score
Hi ladies,
I've had gel nails on for a couple of months and took them off on Saturday. I filed them off and made sure I took them off properly.
My nails are lovely and long but as you can see in the pic they are in terrible condition.
I desperately want to keep the length in them but they're so weak and bendy
I've tried putting a layer of gel with shellac on top and it's just chipped off, then I tried Brisa gel and that peeled off within a day.
Has anyone any ideas or am I just going to have to bite the bullet and

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    978.7 KB · Views: 202
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    875.6 KB · Views: 127
Hiya! I'd recommend Rescue Rxx keratin treatment from CND - it's incredible stuff [emoji106][emoji4] x

Thank you! I've never used that before. Does it give them immediate strength or is it like a strengther that you put on regularly? :)

It's a brush on treatment that works best on bare nails and I advise my clients to apply at least twice per day.

You, give it a good shake, brush it on and leave for a minute, then simply massage into the nail plate.

The condition of the nails is a sight to behold with regular use [emoji51] I've been using it myself on my toenails and they look brilliant! (Never thought I'd say that!!) xx

Another vote for CND RescueRxx ...it's like an intensive repair treatment for damaged nails so it won't add instant strength but it will repair/ recondition your nails .
Apply as Mrs.Bod describes .

Great thanks very much for your replys. I still have the length in most of them and they've actually strengthened up a lot in the past few days, I guess it's just good to let them breathe for a few days too.

Can you put gel polish on them after using this treatment or do you think IBX would be better

IBX treatment!!and don't do it only once.do it every 2 weeks for 2-3 months and your nails will be great!

Great thanks very much for your replys. I still have the length in most of them and they've actually strengthened up a lot in the past few days, I guess it's just good to let them breathe for a few days too.

Nails don't have lungs they don't breathe!
I need to take my nails off at the end of the month to get sedated gutted :( will need to try rescue rx xx

I'm a hairdresser, would I be able to buy the rescue rx to use on myself?

When you initially take off a set of enhancements your nails will always appear softer because natural moisture has been unable to evaporate due to the enhancement, This is why they were so bendy, they were softened from excess moisture in the nails, it disappears after 24 hours and This is why your nails have gotten harder over the past few days.

it's wise to leave a paper thin coat of gel remaining on the nails for added strength and to just grow this out to prevent any damage to the nails. You say you were very careful but I can tell you you have really over filed your natural nail during removal, the red spots on your nails are where you've thinned out your nail plate dramatically and will probably be sensitive and have a weak spot there as they grow out.

Conditioning your nails now will be key to stop them snapping and I too recommend CND Rescue RXx for them :)

Thanks for your reply Noreen, it's very helpful! Yeah there is very weak spots in my nails :( I did put a very thin layer of gel on them but it peels off straight away. I was very particular with cuticles, blue scrub and base coat. Would you have any idea why it won't last?

Thanks for your reply Noreen, it's very helpful! Yeah there is very weak spots in my nails :( I did put a very thin layer of gel on them but it peels off straight away. I was very particular with cuticles, blue scrub and base coat. Would you have any idea why it won't last?

When i said a thin layer of gel should be left on the nail, what i meant was during removal of a set of gel nail enhancements it is not necessary to remove all the gel, thin the gel out so that a tiny later of it remains and you can grow this out without your nails feeling weak and damaged :)

There is a very simple explanation for why shellac won't last on your nails (i am assuming it is shellac you've put on as you have mentioned a base coat), your nails are extremely damaged by overfilling resulting in them become very bendy thin and weak . NO nail coating will last that long on them, you will even have trouble with enhancement products should you wish to apply another set over them.

Shellac , or any other brand of gel polish for the matter, is made for people with healthy nails who want a longer lasting coating than nail polish. It is super thin and need the strength of the natural nail underneath it to be strong, there is no real strength in the product itself. Damaged nails tend to be thinner by nature and this results in the nail being too flexible, with all the movement of the coating on the nail it will not adhere as well to the natural nail and will lift and peel as you have experienced. Best to keep nothing on them at the moment , particularly if you plan to use the CND Rescue RXX because that has to be applied to bare nails to get it to work properly.

Latest posts

Back