How to tell a client no?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lilymayc

Reaction score
I desperately need some advice on what you guys do when you suspect a fungal infection. I am self employed, renting a treatment room, and still starting out so any new client is very precious!!

Today I had a client come in, she was recommended to me by a very close family friend and I know of her from years ago. Anyway, she had what looked like a dodgy fingernail. I know you can't diagnose so I really struggle to know what to say to the client. I asked if she had asked a doctor about it which she said she had, and he said there was nothing they could do about it and to paint over it to look better. One, I know I can't diagnose the problem myself, and felt I couldn't even more so as she had been to see doctor, but also I really don't want to loose out on a customer and their money. I used a disposable file and my base coat is on its last legs so can throw it away now she's gone but I just want to know how you say no to your client, and how you give your reason as for why without looking like your diagnosing? And I would feel so bad when they've travelled to me to be turned away.

I've just read a feed on here about how it can't survive in a polish bottle because of the ingredients etc but is this true?

Thank you in advance for help!

It's difficult when you first start out, you're so desperate to gain clients and be the best you can. It is something that comes with time and experience, good clients will ultimately appreciate your knowledge and skills and that you are trying to protect them as much as yourself but it takes time to build that trust.

You're right that we can't diagnose but education is your weapon of choice, there are lots of books available for Nail Techs showing the various contra-indications and reasons/symptoms/etc. Read and inwardly digest and stand firm. I keep my books in my salon and even now I'll pull them out and go through them with a client if I think it's necessary. Showing them a text book with photos and details of their 'issue' can be far more persuasive than you just telling them. It's hard to refute hard facts printed in text books.

If you are uncomfortable treating a client (for whatever reason) be firm, explain your concerns (that you could make things worse, that your worried for their health, etc.) and try to find another solution that lets them walk away with their dignity. Suggest a visit to the pharmacist for an over the counter treatment, tell them you'll call in a fortnight to see how their getting on with the treatment and see when you can book them in. You're not turning them away, you're encouraging them back at a later date when things are better.

And no, bacteria cannot survive in a bottle of polish so no need to throw it away.

Did your training give you details of how to deal with contra-indications, etc?

I just place the emphasis on them. I say that by doing the treatment I'm not doing them any favours.

Years ago I remember a lady going all mad and passive aggressive when I refused to do a facial because she had a cold sore but I was like "you really don't want it to be spread around your face".

It's difficult when you first start out, you're so desperate to gain clients and be the best you can. It is something that comes with time and experience, good clients will ultimately appreciate your knowledge and skills and that you are trying to protect them as much as yourself but it takes time to build that trust.

You're right that we can't diagnose but education is your weapon of choice, there are lots of books available for Nail Techs showing the various contra-indications and reasons/symptoms/etc. Read and inwardly digest and stand firm. I keep my books in my salon and even now I'll pull them out and go through them with a client if I think it's necessary. Showing them a text book with photos and details of their 'issue' can be far more persuasive than you just telling them. It's hard to refute hard facts printed in text books.

If you are uncomfortable treating a client (for whatever reason) be firm, explain your concerns (that you could make things worse, that your worried for their health, etc.) and try to find another solution that lets them walk away with their dignity. Suggest a visit to the pharmacist for an over the counter treatment, tell them you'll call in a fortnight to see how their getting on with the treatment and see when you can book them in. You're not turning them away, you're encouraging them back at a later date when things are better.

And no, bacteria cannot survive in a bottle of polish so no need to throw it away.

Did your training give you details of how to deal with contra-indications, etc?

Thank you so much! And thank you for appreciating that it was hard when starting out! I was worried people would think I was silly for carrying out the treatment. Would you be able to share the books that you mentioned? Sounds like a good idea to keep a couple in my room!

To be honest we were told about contraindications but it was all quite slap dash and just told we couldn't treat them but didn't touch on how to go about turning the customer away correctly.

This might also be a really silly question, but if it can't survive in the polish bottle, why can't the treatment be carried out as long as files are disposable and tools sterilised correctly?

I just place the emphasis on them. I say that by doing the treatment I'm not doing them any favours.

Years ago I remember a lady going all mad and passive aggressive when I refused to do a facial because she had a cold sore but I was like "you really don't want it to be spread around your face".

Thank you! Have you had to turn anyone away for their nails? If so what did you say then? I feel more people would be understanding of cold sores and similar symptoms (your customer sounds like an exception) as its more commonly known they're contagious. But I feel like people don't really understand nails so much?

Thank you so much! And thank you for appreciating that it was hard when starting out! I was worried people would think I was silly for carrying out the treatment. Would you be able to share the books that you mentioned? Sounds like a good idea to keep a couple in my room!

To be honest we were told about contraindications but it was all quite slap dash and just told we couldn't treat them but didn't touch on how to go about turning the customer away correctly.

This might also be a really silly question, but if it can't survive in the polish bottle, why can't the treatment be carried out as long as files are disposable and tools sterilised correctly?

For books, check out this thread for recommendations and reviews:-

http://www.salongeek.com/threads/nail-books.306125/

No question is a silly question, this site is amazing for information, use the search option if you're looking for specific things and have a read up, if you still can't find an answer then post a new thread, you may be asking the question someone else is too shy to ask....we all learn every day :D

Depending on the contraindication you may have been able to continue with the treatment following some precautions such as you've mentioned, that's why I asked if your training had covered it. Throwing away abrasives, etc. is the correct way to deal with those situations we can safely work in.

Thank you! Have you had to turn anyone away for their nails? If so what did you say then? I feel more people would be understanding of cold sores and similar symptoms (your customer sounds like an exception) as its more commonly known they're contagious. But I feel like people don't really understand nails so much?

I've turned someone away for reflexology due to many verrucas. I offered another treatment instead (back massage).

In your case I'd advise her to paint her own nails if she chooses but that you're not insured to do it because there is a risk that it could make her condition worse and that she needs to be mindful of that if applying polish at home herself.

Latest posts

Back