How to use transfer foil with Gelish?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nila

Reaction score
I bought some transfer foil to use with Gelish and I was so excited as I watched the videos by fingernailfixer and it seemed so easy to apply but it doesn't stick to the sticky layer of Gelish at all! she used it with shellac though and I thought it would be the same with Gelish but obviously not.

I got some animal print foils, they seem a kind of thicker than I thought they would be. Do you think something is wrong with the foils I got?
Has anyone tried them on Gelish?

Ooooh no, I bought some too after seeing a photo on here and it looked amazing. I'm waiting on them being delivered, sorry I can help but i would like to see an answer as I use gelish too :( xx

I use transfer foils with gelish:)

I finish off the color, TIO and cure and wipe tacky layer. Then I use the glue that came with and do it as if on polish. Then TIO again.

I have also tried to use the foils on whole nails but find that the glue always makes the last TIO layer kinda soft and flakey... Mabe it needs to dry better before the last TIO? I have to experiment some more on that:)

Oh my God! I'm not comfortable to use the glue between Gelish layers, I thought it would stick to the sticky layer... that's why I bought them.:sad: I think we need somebody who has more experience in this to tell us how to do it.
Anyone please???

I have used the foils with gelish without a problem however I bought some of a different brand and im now having the same issue as you.. The other foil worked so easily I thought all foils were the same? Now I can't remember were I bought the original foil. Maybe we have the wrong type of foil.?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek

Some foils will work fine on the tacky layer others won't. The foils from foilplay which are ones I use work perfectly on sticky layer however the patterned ones from places such as nail delights don't work. Those ones need the special foil adhesive.

HTH xx

All of my foils are from nail delights and some work better than others. I must admit they seem to work better on shellac than Gelish. X

All of my foils are from nail delights and some work better than others. I must admit they seem to work better on shellac than Gelish. X

Ah, good to know.

I got my foils from 2 different places. Stix 2 anything go on perfectly over the inhibition layer of Gelish & Bio Sculpture but the ones I got that have a brown backing wont adhere to the inhibition layer.
I saw on another thread someone removed the brown backing with sanitiser then applied the foil. I haven't tried it yet but sounds like a good idea.
Has anyone else tried it ?

Robin Moses on YouTube suggests The Best Glue Ever. Go to YouTube and put that into the search bar. I use it on regular polish if fomeone doesnt want to pay for Shellac

I bought my foils from www.dollarnailart.com. They work well with Shellac and Gelish. I've also used the glue that came with the foils over TIO, you just have to leave it dry first. I also wipe the goldish film off the back of my foils with alcohol before applying.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SalonGeek

I got some animal print ones which I really liked and thought if I do it with Gelish it will look like nail wrap or minx but last longer than them. I also wiped the brown layer with sanitiser as suggested here but no success.. still doesn't transfer the pattern...so disappointed! :sad:
I really like the look of the lace one as well.

Sorry for awakening this thread again, but does anyone else use foils from dollarnailartstore with gelish? Do they defo work with the inhibition layer?

I'd like to know this too, I dug out some foils that have been sitting around for years, there called special FX, think they were by star nails, they don't have a brown backing just a silvery backing, when I first tried it with the gelish it wouldn't stick at all, then after curing I tried doing a VERY light dry brush on the colour which seemed to help the foil attach better, but still not perfect.

It's like the sticky layer on gelish is just too wet, not sticky enough!!

I have been trying to use my foils which don't stick to gelish with the foil glue. It's ok for designs and such as long as it's not near the free edge of the nail. If it's too close the second layer of TIO which I put over the foil will start flaking and chipping on the free edge after a few days:/

It's like the sticky layer on gelish is just too wet, not sticky enough!!

I have been trying to use my foils which don't stick to gelish with the foil glue. It's ok for designs and such as long as it's not near the free edge of the nail. If it's too close the second layer of TIO which I put over the foil will start flaking and chipping on the free edge after a few days:/

I find it best to buff the surface before applying the glue then the foil.

I did buff before applying the glue:rolleyes:

What glue do you use?

I did buff before applying the glue:rolleyes:

What glue do you use?
The glue that came with the foils (I think it was from Nails Delight)
Do you wait till the glue goes clear?

Yes I apply superthin, just enough for the foil to stick, and wait for a few min:/

Everything seems to be ok the first few days until the gel capping the free edge wears a bit so the foil is exposed, then it only takes a tiny nudge to lift the second top coat from the foil:/

I thought maybe adding probond on top of the foil to make the second top coat stick lol! I might try that on myself but I don't foresee any good outcome of that:p

I do not understand why y'all are having so many problems. I use foils all the time and never have I ever had any problems pressing them into the inhibition layer of any product. I use all different types of foil. I've never removed anything from the back. The only problem I've ever had is not allowing enough dry time when using traditional polish. But that was my fault.

Here are some pictures. First: traditional polish over acrylic, second: shellac, last two: Gelish.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1344559442.383301.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1344559442.383301.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 907
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1344559583.530013.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1344559583.530013.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 282
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1344559596.474828.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1344559596.474828.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 413
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1344559608.605060.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1344559608.605060.jpg