How trusting are you about people and information on SG?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would someone have two accounts? It's not like they can't get info everyone sees the same answers ect! X

One of the reasons that I started this thread is because I found out that a geek was portraying that they were something they were not. I know some geeks have done this before but this was a well respected geek. Now I'm not giving details or naming anyone, that's not what this thread is about.
It's just that it made me realise how trusting we are and how we just assume.
Although I was very disappointed it did make me think that in future I will do my homework.
I do try to find out as much information as I can if I'm doing training or buying products etc.
I guess it doesn't help that we are not allowed to say anything negative about individuals which, although a good thing, it does make it harder to know who to trust.
I just hope that people will do their homework and get as many recommendations as they can before making decisions.

I think that most people on here give genuine advice.

I've been a member on here for years and I've seen the trouble makers and the haters come and go. There are people that pretend to no longer come on here when in fact they check out this site throughout the day as much as you or I.

My pet hate is when the bigger companies get people to come on here and start threads for them or to fight their battles. Some of the big names do very well indeed with threads about them that run and run, yet they never come on here to help or give advice.

Wow, 2 accounts...who has the time?

Angelina, i'm curious as to how you found out someone wasn't who they were pretending to be...did you meet them in person? Obviously you can't say who it was, but how strange and quite sad really that someone would feel the need to do that.

I hope that people, especially those who are new to the industry, read this thread and remember to double check any facts, but use this site to point them in the right direction xx

Wow I think I'm too trusting! I've never really thought that someone isn't who they say they are. I'm a really open and honest person so it makes no sense to me that someone would lie about who they are.

Having said that I think it's easy to spot the 'DIY-ers' that pretend to be professionals to get our advice.

I've learnt an awful lot from this site and I rely on the opinions of you geeks when I'm in a sticky situation. I research everything thoroughly and ask for advice but I think most of the questions I ask here are for opinions not facts.

There are a handful of geeks that I know are very knowledgeable and obviously what they say I would never argue with. I think we are lucky to have such geeks here that are big names in our industry spending time answering our questions.

It is hard to know the tone of a post sometimes so I tend to take things on the chin and if an 'argument' arises I do try and remind geeks that written words are different.

That's my 2 cents.
Rhiannon x

Wow, 2 accounts...who has the time?

Angelina, i'm curious as to how you found out someone wasn't who they were pretending to be...did you meet them in person? Obviously you can't say who it was, but how strange and quite sad really that someone would feel the need to do that.

I hope that people, especially those who are new to the industry, read this thread and remember to double check any facts, but use this site to point them in the right direction xx

As I said, I'm not giving any information away. If this thread makes just one person question things and check information rather than taking someone's word for it then that's great.

As I said, I'm not giving any information away. If this thread makes just one person question things and check information rather than taking someone's word for it then that's great.

Fair enough xx

My pet hate is when the bigger companies get people to come on here and start threads for them or to fight their battles. Some of the big names do very well indeed with threads about them that run and run, yet they never come on here to help or give advice.

My pet hate too. I think some companies use reps on here that actually drive business away.

I've thought about this a few times actually.

I personally don't have the time to even check in on SG most days, so the thought that some people have more than one account is quite sad I think!

I agree though that we should all double check on info if something looks a light suspect ;)

I think this thread may make a few of us take off our rose tinted glasses and be a bit more wary about the information we're being given on here.
I'm not going to lie Angelina I'm dying to know who the geek in question is, mainly because I'm worried it's one of my favourite geeks who I look up to. I really respect you for not giving anything away though, not everyone would be so noble! Xx

Interesting thread!

I think on other sites it's almost expected that there are weirdos out there, but it's actually quite sad that someone would come onto a professional site like this and make up a story :rolleyes:

One of the reasons that I started this thread is because I found out that a geek was portraying that they were something they were not. I know some geeks have done this before but this was a well respected geek. Now I'm not giving details or naming anyone, that's not what this thread is about.
Although I was very disappointed it did make me think that in future I will do my homework.
I do try to find out as much information as I can if I'm doing training or buying products etc.
I guess it doesn't help that we are not allowed to say anything negative about individuals which, although a good thing, it does make it harder to know who to trust.
I just hope that people will do their homework and get as many recommendations as they can before making decisions.

I totally get you... You'd be surprised that even well know and experienced people on here do it...

I totally get you... You'd be surprised that even well know and experienced people on here do it...

Do what? Lie about themselves? Why though, I don't get why you'd even bother? :/ xx

Do what? Lie about themselves? Why though, I don't get why you'd even bother? :/ xx

I can only imagine one of two scenarios... One if you'd started being criticised by a lot of members for your posts/attitude or been accused of doing something etc
And two, if you wanted to 'back up' your own point to make it look like someone had agreed with you from another of 'your' profiles!

It's ridiculous but goes on!

I can only imagine one of two scenarios... One if you'd started being criticised by a lot of members for your posts/attitude or been accused of doing something etc
And two, if you wanted to 'back up' your own point to make it look like someone had agreed with you from another of 'your' profiles!

Yeah I get that, make another profile to support your opinions- that's really pathetic :/
Have you actually noticed it? I mean, does this happen a lot? Who has the time lol xx

I was going to say that there are some very well known geeks on here whos advice I wouldn't hesitate to question. I do come on here almost every day but I know I'm not a very active member so I haven't had a chance to get to know a lot of the newer members or others who don't post all that often. If the advice was to come from someone I didn't know well I would check the facts elsewhere but there are geeks on here that I feel like I know and can trust. I would have thought that if someone were to go to the trouble of pretending to be someone they aren't, then surely they would slip up after a while.

I'm not so naive to not know that some geeks may talk themselves up a bit, like just by exaggerating things a bit but I wouldn't have thought someone would have the time or inclination to make up a whole persona. It's got me worried now, thinking about who it may be...

Actually it really doesn't go on! At least not for much more than a nano second! Lol

Yeah I get that, make another profile to support your opinions- that's really pathetic :/
Have you actually noticed it? I mean, does this happen a lot? Who has the time lol xx

People have tried it and even done it, but the moderation team know instantly when it happens ... Because we have a very clever Grand Master Geek!! Lol. Actually, people that try it on with these tricks liven up our day as moderators and it can be most amusing to see the same person talking to themselves! Lol. They are generally banned as users. Nothing a mod likes more than a good banning! Lol

I think that most 'bad' information that may be given out here on the site, is squashed very quickly by the experts and you can be sure that the info you will get is sound and usually better informed than you would get on a college course (as many hundreds of geeks have testified). Even Wikipedia is incorrect in many of its definitions ... Particularly where nails are on earned! :eek: you won't find that happening here on salon geek (not if I see it anyway!! Lol)

I think we can all geek on in the knowledge that you can trust the factual advice from the ones you know well and if from another it sounds 'dodgy' then it probably is or at the least needs checking.

People who have an agenda are pretty transparent ... When you've been a moderator for. 9 years you really get a nose for it. So leave it to the mods geeks ... They will look after you and keep you safe. :hug:

As for people bring who they say they are ... I'm more bothered about what they say than who they actually are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back