How trusting are you about people and information on SG?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you can be to trusting about people on salon geek or any website for that matter but then again as I think its already been mentioned people can come across very differently on the internet. I haven't actually met that many geeks but the ones I have been met have been lovely.

There will always be geeks that claim to be something they are not, some are obvious and some not so. There was someone a few years ago that insisted they were fully booked all day every day yet they would be on this site all day replying to posts, starting threads and still claiming they were busy when it was pretty obvious as a one man band you couldn't possibly be online day and night whilst treating clients !

Great thread Angelina.. I am now paranoid lol!
I am having a lunch break between clients - so I can put my penny worth in :)
I put my face to my username - but my name is Fiona Cole... I thought it would be better for fellow geeks to see my face as my avatar.. So it makes it more personal.. In my opinion. I also check profiles & get really cheesed off when they aren't filled in as I am never sure whom I am addressing with relevant qualifications etc.
I am more than happy for any geek to meet me in my home (where my salon is) - now don't all rush to PM LOL ;)
Fiona x

I accept all invitations on Facebook (apart from those blooming farming things asking me to help water their crops) without even looking at what they are……….only because most of my 'friends' are therapists and people that I've never met and I just see it as a way of supporting each other, but I will take a closer look in future. I didn't realise there were groups that were anti SG. I am so obviously NOT anti SG.

I hate all this type of thing as it leads to paranoia, suspicion and negativity. Me no like!

I am ultra suspicious and will if needed 'look into' a geeks answering record to try and judge whether they are genuine by the intelligence and information they put in their answers, please take a look at mine - I'm sure I come across as a paranoid uneducated numpty!:o

I think its human nature to 'click' with some geeks, be it for the same warped sense of humour or just because you can tell how committed the other geek is about their job.

Also lets face it, we're addicted to this site! plenty of people wouldn't understand what we get from it besides the help - its a community - we can sit here reading funny/sad/complicated things and we feel part of it. It has the huge added bonus that no-one else can see our hair/make-up/nails/untidy lounge/dirty dishes (i'm such a catch eh?)

long live SG and all who sail in her!

my avatar is my daughter being weird with pants on her head - why? because it made me laugh!:lick:

Wow this thread has certainly developed. If im honest i dont care who is 'real' and who isnt. What i care about is whether or not what information/answers they give are correct or not.

As for personal information i did at one point delete all my blogs, remove my business name and change my profile picture not to hide it from geeks but clients as we all know how easy sg pops up in searches (im not complaining mind as id never had found this site) i just mean from a clients perspective. However ive since written a load more blogs (lol) and put my business name back on so that geeks can see if they want as i think these two areas the public dont see unless they join. Also i love a good chinwag and the blogs help me get it off my chest. I do give a lot of personal life info in mu blogs but i use the rule that whatever i say on here id happily tell someone at the bus stop! However thats just me, not everyone feels the same and i respect that.

I could put a pic of myself up like i did before but one i dont wish clients to identify me and two well the pic you would see would be of me but wedding slim down phase so wouldnt be the true reflection of my post wedding moon face lmao!

Love n hugs all x x x

Last edited:
I'm not really a fan of this kind of thread, I must admit- as I think it can sometimes bring out the worst in a community like ours.

I also don't think its terribly helpful to single out the people who's opinions we ought to trust carte-blanche- for one it doesnt encourage new members to post. Let people be "judged" over a dozen posts or so and then lets see if they're a valuable member or otherwise.

That said, I've read every bloody word! lol

But- wanted my two penneth. There are two things going on here.

1. Someone pretending to be something they're not
2. People who are different offline as opposed to online.

The first one is unacceptable, and pretty dangerous really. Its also, sadly, absolutely inevitable.

The second one isn't at all unusual and has been a phenomenon of the internet since day one. Someone might be a lot more confident whilst typing away on a forum. They may be more confortable with showing aspects of their personality and be more confident in expressing opinion. Don't confuse that with someone lying about themselves though.

p.s. Another point I've just thought of. I also don't think its appropriate to be encouraging people to tell everyone their real names etc. (most people know who I am of course as I've dealt with hundreds of you personally) in order to prove they're "real" or "genuine". One of the good things about a forum like this is you can have a good moan about a member of staff or a client, or discuss something personal, whilst not giving away (if you so chose) your real name, or the name of your salon.

Hello, you remember me? The humourless one!
If you are going to have a moan about clients or colleagues then you do it in the privacy of your own home, not in a pub, or a club, a restaurant or a supermarket. And you never, ever put it in writing. And certainly not on the net.

You know what WWW stands for?

Who's Watching Whom

This thread was not meant to make anyone feel paranoid nor to be a witch hunt.
I have met many many geeks and a lot have become good friends.
I have met some of the most lovely helpful people on here so I don't want people doubting everyone.
The purpose was to make people aware and to do their homework before parting with their money.
It's a great place to bounce ideas around and to learn and the majority of geeks are friendly helpful people.

Hello, you remember me? The humourless one!
If you are going to have a moan about clients or colleagues then you do it in the privacy of your own home, not in a pub, or a club, a restaurant or a supermarket. And you never, ever put it in writing. And certainly not on the net.

You know what WWW stands for?

Who's Watching Whom

I agree its not entirely the best thing to do, but having been here for years then I know it goes on and will always go on. I cringe when I see someone having a moan whilst grinning happily away in their avatar picture. What I mean is that if you ARE inclined to have a moan- then be careful about your identity.

I actually think that threads like this do one thing only and that is to cause bad feeling.

If you have an issue with someone directly, why not just PM them and have it out that way instead of causing speculation on an open forum?

Either that or go the whole hog and just tell the situation as you see it and allow the other person involved to do the same? It isn't like certain members keep their PM's private anyway!

I know wholly what this thread is digging at - I know who it involves and think it is very low of you to post your own speculation on a public forum about someone when the mass of the "facts" you have developed are not only private but also untrue and confused!

We can all learn from this thread and move on :hug: as today is another day xxx

I initially thought this was a thought provoking thread and was a general question/statement being made to generate interesting discussion.
It has developed from that and is now seeming to be focusing on one person, some who have said they know who it is but the majority of us don't. I don't like that and think this thread should perhaps now be closed.

I initially thought this was a thought provoking thread and was a general question/statement being made to generate interesting discussion.
It has developed from that and is now seeming to be focusing on one person, some who have said they know who it is but the majority of us don't. I don't like that and think this thread should perhaps now be closed.

Agreed! :)

Hi Planky1, just read your comment and 'liked' it... It has worried me since I started reading it this morning! I am feeling very uneasy about the comments and although I know they are not directed at me it has made feel sad and somewhat weary about posting comments. This is not what SG should be about, informing, educating, befriending not judgemental.

I too thought it was a general thread but can I just say that I have no idea who it is about and it's unfair for us to comment on something that we don't know about...
If someone has an issue with a geek shouldn't they report it confidentially and not involve others.. That's what any professional would do.
I'm sure the guys in charge would deal accordingly without needing input from us lot..

Let's not spoil the site, and if anyone is being out of order in any way shape or form let's not go down to that level too!

People are now just speculating and jumping to wrong conclusions so I will now close the thread.
It was meant to be a thread about being careful and doing your homework and I hope some people will have got something out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back