How trusting are you about people and information on SG?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

angelina221

Master Lash Tech
Reaction score
Salon Geek has so many members and it stands to reason that not everyone is who they say there are.
How much do you actually know about the members.
I've seen lots of threads with answers that are incorrect. I've also met geeks that are nothing like they portray themselves on here.
So do you read information on here and then research the answers yourself or do you take it as gospel that the answer is right?
If a geek tells you what qualifications they have do you not even think to question it?
It's easy to believe a faceless person and there has to be a certain amount of trust but are we too trusting?

Hmm, thought provoking thread there Angelina.

I know that i am much too trusting myself, but i'm also kind of nosy so i've looked up people's websites just to have a look, lol, so i assume those people are working in the industry, though i have no proof of training.

I don't think to question qualifications, but then again i've had very few clients that have asked if i'm qualified.

As for questions, there are some geeks i don't question at all, such as Geeg on her nail advice. For geeks i'm not so familiar with, i tend to take the most popular answer as most likely and then check further on it.

You forget how easy it is online for people to pretend they are something they aren't and to take things with a pinch of salt. I'm always honest with my replies so generally assume others are too xx

I use a combination of my books e.g, the complete nail technician by Mariane, salon geek and google.

If geeg was to give me advice I'd trust her completely, I have read loads of advice she has given, and the advice is always right.

I do know what you mean though, there are a lot of us here and you can never be sure if who you are talking to is genuine, same as any other forum I guess :)

I agree that there are some opinions I value more than others.

I am still relatively new to Salon Geek, but I find it so helpful for certain things. If I'm looking for a fact, however, I would not rely solely on the posts on here. I'd need to back it up with information from elsewhere, just for my own piece of mind.

If I learn something new from SG - which I have a few times! - I'll head off and do my own research so I can learn as much as I can.

As for people not saying who they say they are... Meh, the thought doesn't really phase me. I doubt I'll ever come across many members in real life (unless by coincidence), everyone is just a username to me!

Some people are definitely not who they say they are!

I always take advice with a pinch of salt then do my own research!

I used to be very trusting when I came here first, but have since learned that we really can't believe everything we read.

I've seen threads from Geeks being negative about certain products and being positive about others. We need to use our common sense sometimes and read through the lines.

Like the others have said I trust geeg 100% as well as many other fabulous geeks here.

Everyone should fill out their profile, but of course, we know some don't, or choose to lie which is why I think the reputation points (the little blue boxes under our names) are a very good way of knowing if the geek has a good rep and can be trusted or not.

Last edited:
For all the years I have been on here I have never really thought like that.
Call me naive but on here as in life I take everyone at face value, until they do something that causes my eyebrow to rise ;)

If someone on here wants to tell me they run a chain of succesful businesses, then I will accept that, as really it makes no odds to me if they want to 'big' themselves up then that is their issue not mine.

That said, if someone posts misinformation as facts to another geek, then I would automatically step in and post my feelings and the correctly researched correct information.
I think that is what is important, posting correct information to help each other.

If someone wants to be like Walter Mitty with their own SG fantasy life, then who am I to burst their bubble.

I think generally I can gage if someone knows what they're talking about or if they're quoting straight out of their book or their bottom:p. some geeks I trust emphatically others I don't know anything about but tend to look at their details and older threads to see if they really know what they're talking about.

I don't ask many questions,not because I know it all already:biggrin: but usually I tend to give advise. But when I do I also google it,have a read through my notes and books and then go with the end result.

There's been times over the years on here when I've nearly fallen off my chair at some of the ill informed advice people have given but usually they're jumped on pretty quickly and then disappear thankfully

I've always liked to do thorough research myself on things when I'm newly qualified in a new treatment.

It's great to bounce ideas off of each other on here and all in all I think I'm a pretty good judge as to who seems to know what theyre talking about and who doesn't. Though I've met a couple of geeks who I've thought wow they know their stuff or hmmmm, they've bigged themselves up to be something but actually they're not the real McCoy at all. Can be a little disappointing but that's life.

I think it depends on the geek. Sometimes I read something and think people are downright rude and can be perceived as bullying. I question wether they would be so rude and intimidating without their keyboard or phone to hide behind.

Certain geeks such as geeg or Kim I would take as gospel but I never take something as 100% from some others. I think it would be pure stupidity to carry out some professional services on the say so of someone you have never met.

At the same time I also think that sometimes people are simply offering ideas or advice and get shot down if they are wrong. Opinions can't be wrong. Facts can x

Intriguing!
So, in other words, some advice purporting to come from professionals actually comes from people who pretend to be? That could be misleading, or even dangerous.
Perhaps I'm naive in not having considered that.

As to trusting on a more personal level, I DO ponder on whether I want to be identified by just anyone who accesses the site.
I have only edged out a bit, but having now "shown my face" I do feel a bit exposed .

Good thread!

All the geeks I have met in real life have been exactly as expected.

I think if someone tried to impersonate a pro, they would be rumbled on here extremely quickly.

That said, there are often trolls about.

The thought has never crossed my mind about people not being who they say they are.
As for accepting advice, they are a good few Geeks on here that I wouldn't question and accept what they say. You get a feel for how knowledgeable certain people are just by reading threads.

its not just the person portraying themselves as someone "better" than they are, its also the fact that people make comments on subjects that they aren't actually qualified/experienced in.

I don't do nails (although qualified in mani/ped) and I don't do hair. If a thread asked for a client perspective I could give an opinion as I have my nails done and I have my hair done.

So, if people give their "opinion" on a subject, is it just that? Or is it a professional opinion?

It can be a problem when a geek then takes the answers as informed answers, when they are infact opinions.

Good topic!!!! :)

Tbh I've always thought that you can tell pretty quickly who knows what they're talking about and who doesn't.

I've met a few geeks over the years and have never yet been diappointed lol maybe I've been lucky and those I've met have turned out to be exactly as I thought they would - they've all been lovely :)

As for people bigging themselves up, as in what they do, not their knowledge, then thats up to them I guess. It would be a pretty sad person with a sad little life to give time and effort into doing that :D

I am really enjoying these threads lately.

Hmmmmm i guess im rather naive then because i tend to believe everyone on here, well unless that is they do something to make me think otherwise. Though i will say the time that ive so far spent on geek no one has given me reason to think the latter.

I think there are those that give good and bad advice along with factual and fictional advice. I think you can generally tell those apart.

I myself am a woman of many faces and i dont mean that in the two faced jekyll and hyde sense. I think our personalities can change based upon who we talk to etc which does stand to reason. I have friends of varying ages, the ones closer to my age and close family have known me for years and have seen me act the fool, have my wilder side from my teenage/early twenties and who i am now. My friends where i live now are from working at the nursery and are around ten yrs younger and when i do anything silly they laugh their heads off because im usually mumma bear. Thats not to say i hide who i am its more that ive either grown up or im more or less confident around them but that doesnt mean im being something im not.

I sometimes read my blogs and think they sound a bit ditzy, hyper and neurotic, i then might read an old thread that i happen to have replied to and i sometimes think wow i actually shared something i know and it made sense and didnt sound like an excitable labrador.

So ok after that waffle what im trying to say is basically what ive put in the first couple of paragraphs!!! And that i try not to take geek too personally. I also never stop at one thread to get my answer from i tend to read a few threads and see how answers compare.

Hope that makes sense.... Though i reckon this wont be a post ill look back on and think it does!! ;)

Great thread angelina! X x x

How do people who have invented a salon geek life remember what they have invented?

It's too much trouble to pretend to be what you're not.

There are some geeks I would be bitterly disappointed with if I found out they were not who they portrayed themselves to be.

There are some geeks who are rude and troublesome .. I feel sorry for them as in their real lives they are probably very small and insignificant.

There are some geeks who are extremely serious and without much perceived humour.

There are some geeks who are charming and funny .. they must be real surely? Please don't let me be disillusioned lol.

Gosh the pressure of meeting each other would be huge.

I am a little wary as my ex stalked me as someone else for 6 weeks online, this was 4 years ago now and i even still get paranoid now. I have also been on dating sites and know people are not always as they seem! Its sad to have to think like this but im alsoquite an open person which i dont feel is bad but have been told of people i give too much away (guess thats just the way i am)

The advice i have been given off here i have researched to and all so far has been great :) xx

I am a little wary as my ex stalked me as someone else for 6 weeks online, this was 4 years ago now and i even still get paranoid now. I have also been on dating sites and know people are not always as they seem! Its sad to have to think like this but im alsoquite an open person which i dont feel is bad but have been told of people i give too much away (guess thats just the way i am)

The advice i have been given off here i have researched to and all so far has been great :) xx

I also only give advice if I know what I'm saying is correct.

My reservations are that some people are competitive and see you as a rival but I'm too honest to hold back and treat everyone with respect like I do with my patients in my NHS work.

I'm quite naive I guess. I tend to believe most things if lots of people agree but sometimes if I know they're wrong then I'll correct them.

I wouldn't say I could pinpoint any geeks I wouldn't believe advice from. There are some I'd trust more so than others with certain things though.

As this is a learning site I tend to try to learn.

I do tend to hide away though, simply because I have always had walls up and don't really know how to take them down very easily lol

I do love all of you though, everyone I have spoken to has been fab! x

I'm genuine! Just wanted to clarify that. Lol!
xx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back