How well-groomed are you?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaLaLayla

Reaction score
And how important do you think it is for us as professionals to be well-groomed?

I am afraid that I have let myself go a bit since I got pregnant, and fear that it will create a bad impression with my clients. I would be really interested to hear your views and what are your 'essentials' for looking professional.

It's one of the most important things, in my opinion; afterall, how can you possibly sell the idea of 'perfection' without actually portraying it?

How are the clients supposed to listen and believe what you tell them if you have 5 inch-long roots, unbrushed hair, overgrown eyebrows and scraggy nails?

Make-up, waxing, freshly pressed clothes, neat hair and nails are my essentials.

I think it is important to make sure we look good, and well groomed if clients think we can t take care of ourselves or put any effort in, they won't think we can put the effort into them.
I just mean, clean nicely styled hair, clean manicured hands and feet, and make up, shaped eyebrows. If I went to have treatments and the therapist looked untidy with bad eyebrows and dirty finger nails and greasy hair I would be very put off.
Equally I don't want someone plastered in 6 inch make up with long nail extensions.
Hygiene and grooming is essential in my opinion !

I agree, i mainly do nails, so if mine were untidy i would not expect anyone wanting theres done by me.
Even when ive had friends over for nails i will have my hair tidy and makeup on, as i no myself if i went to a salon and someone looked scruffy are they could not be bothered to make an effort the same attitude may be in there work x

It was drilled into us at college that appearance and hygiene is very important, not overly done up, just clean, tidy and presentable.

In all honesty... Not all that well groomed!! I'm in need of a good mani, pedi an my waxing needs doing ! My tan is looking good tho! I'm just spook busy I never get chance! I do try to keep on the new shellac colours etc! So on fave value I'm ok-look a little closer and u will see cuticles to my arm pits!!

Never knowingly under-groomed........that's me! :D

Freshly washed and styled hair, light make up, short neat and tidy nails, immaculate eyebrows and a fresh uniform/clothes every single day!!!

When I meet new people and I tell them that I am a beauty therapist, they ALWAYS say, "thought so, you look like one!"

I take that as a huge compliment!

YOU are your best advertisement! :D

PB
x

Never knowingly under-groomed........that's me! :D

Freshly washed and styled hair, light make up, short neat and tidy nails, immaculate eyebrows and a fresh uniform/clothes every single day!!!

When I meet new people and I tell them that I am a beauty therapist, they ALWAYS say, "thought so, you look like one!"

I take that as a huge compliment!

YOU are your best advertisement! :D

PB
x
If someone said I looked like a beauty therapist I literally wouldn't stop smiling all day! :D

I always make sure I do my makeup, and try to do my hair although sometimes I really can't be bothered with it and just leave it out. My sister is a hairdresser and can leave the house with no makeup on, but has to have her hair done. Whereas I have to have my face done to leave the house, but don't care about the hair lol.

I went out to dinner one night, at a restaurant where one of my friends works. One of her co-workers later told me that my makeup looked so perfect the night I went to dinner, and she wondered how I got it so perfect! She didn't realise I was a beauty therapist, and the funniest thing was it took me all of 10 mins to do my face that night as I was running late, so just threw on the old faithful eye colours, a bit of foundation and off I went :p

I do think grooming is very important though, as mentioned before we are our best advertisement. Would you go to an obese personal trainer? It's the same as going to an un-groomed therapist. People think if they can't make the effort with themselves, why would they with you?

I always make sure I am fresh, neat and tidy. Usually have a Fish Tail Plait as I have VERY Moody hair, light make up, clean and freshly ironed uniform, freshly painted nails, don't always go out with a spray tan as I can always say I am fading it off for the next application. I am selling a lifestyle and need to look the best I can. I try not to load up on the Glamour as for me it works better to look like the girl next door rather than a threat to the client.

I would have no faith in a badly groomed beauty therapist, if they can't make the effort to sort themselves out, what on earth would make me believe that would make the effort to do what is good for me.

I think that when you go to work you should be well presented, whether you are a beauty therapist or an office worker it makes no difference. I absolutely hate wearing make-up but I do wear it for work, along with tidy hair/eyebrows and neat clothes, and I showcase my nails and toes at the salon.

I think you can over-do it though. I have had clients who say they feel more comfortable in my salon, and that they feel intimidated by the stereotypical "perfect" beauty therapist. I am presentable, neat and tidy, but by no means perfect and thats the way I like to keep it :D

My make-up is always done. My fingernails are always painted although I don't keep them short. My toe nails are always done. Eyebrows are always done. I am glad that I wear trousers though cos my legs are in dire need of waxing!

I just do facials, so my priorities are that my skin/make-up can stand close scrutiny- albeit that I am pretty ancient- and that my personal hygiene is spot-on. So, freshly washed hair and of course body; brushed, flossed and mouth-washed teeth, and clean uniform.

I just do facials, so my priorities are that my skin/make-up can stand close scrutiny- albeit that I am pretty ancient- and that my personal hygiene is spot-on. So, freshly washed hair and of course body; brushed, flossed and mouth-washed teeth, and clean uniform.

You look fabulous, not pretty ancient at all ;) x

I think you can over-do it though. I have had clients who say they feel more comfortable in my salon, and that they feel intimidated by the stereotypical "perfect" beauty therapist. I am presentable, neat and tidy, but by no means perfect and thats the way I like to keep it :D

I agree, we have a lot of client come to us because we aren't perfect, although we are clean, tidy and wear makeup. I think we have the balance just right for my salon.

X

I'm not groomed enough I'm afraid. I go and get my waxing, tinting, facial or something done every 3 weeks but apart from that i am just clean, tidy and minimal make up. I totally stick by hygiene/personal appearance rules from college. My nails are a mess and I need a tan! I have no time just now though. I'm so tired I'm struggling to write this!

I bite my nails, although my eyebrows are fab, make up is just so always, hair is a hit or miss and never do tan as it just looks a bit common (personal opinion of course) neither do I have tattoos for that reason too. I don't like ankle chain either sorry I could go on and on...

I bite my nails, although my eyebrows are fab, make up is just so always, hair is a hit or miss and never do tan as it just looks a bit common (personal opinion of course) neither do I have tattoos for that reason too. I don't like ankle chain either sorry I could go on and on...

Lol! Had a good giggle at this! Thank you. X

In all honesty... Not all that well groomed!! I'm in need of a good mani, pedi an my waxing needs doing ! My tan is looking good tho! I'm just spook busy I never get chance! I do try to keep on the new shellac colours etc! So on fave value I'm ok-look a little closer and u will see cuticles to my arm pits!!

LOL i love your honesty xx:D

Latest posts

Back