How/what do you retail.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Susie H

Reaction score
My personal oppinion is that if you don't retail you are giving away money that should be yours.
So I thought I would throw this one out for all the geeks who do to help all the geeks who don't.
Two parts, what do you retail?
And, how do you get the customers to buy it.
I'll start:lol:
Every time I do a spray tan I sell the client a skin softner, depending on the client. So my lady who I know has a very good income and has reached the age where she's worried about her skin aging gets the moisturisor that's recomended to go with her tan.
The student who's holding down two jobs and studying gets some Avon skin softner.
They each get something they can afford, they each get educated to take care of their tan, they each come back to me for the repeat business because they can see I care.
I sell to them by chatting, that's it, just chatting, how to make sure they don't end up with dry skin on their elbows that will grab the tan and make them look orange. That the tan will fade evenly, last longer, etc.
I also sell quiet a bit of body scrub. They use it the night before they come to see me for their next tan so they know they have smooth polished skin before I spray them.
What do you sell?

Good thread.

I do hair and always ask client who say "my hair is flat" or "it won't go straight" what they use in it. Most of the time they use no product of a tesco value type thing so I always say oh I'll pop some xxx product in, this will help you blow-dry your hair smooth/full/ what ever they need. I swear about 70% of the time clients say can I buy that? They really just need information on their hair and I help them. I used to never sell anything because of laziness and I didn't wanna appear pushy but as you say i just ask my clients questions and honestly just asking them how do you find your hair to blow dry I can make another £10+ on every £25 cut and blow dry.

what tan and creams and scrubs do you use and sell?

I sell Solar oil and Nail strengthner at the moment. but when my salon opens i want to sell these items xx

what tan and creams and scrubs do you use and sell?

I sell Solar oil and Nail strengthner at the moment. but when my salon opens i want to sell these items xx

:: welcome to couture ::
I use couture as one of my lines and like their retail products very much, prices are good, quality is great, customer service couldn't be better 10 out of 10:lol:
I also use puri tan, I like it but the name does nothing for the clients, most of them like Couture and I also like nouvatan. Haven't got any details about retail products from the others, it's on my to do list lol
And as I already said, I also sell avon to my student's, it's not me that runs that, before anyone asks for any:lol: I get it from someone else and she gives me my perfume.

I am guilty of not retailing not nearly enough. Most of the time clients have to ASK ME if they want something and they ask if I have it and often I dont because I didnt think they would ask :eek:

As a mobile service the easiest thing for me to retail is Solar Oil and Nail Envy. My best selling products and very very portable.

I just need a kick in the butt to actually do it :smack:

I am guilty of not retailing not nearly enough. Most of the time clients have to ASK ME if they want something and they ask if I have it and often I dont because I didnt think they would ask :eek:

As a mobile service the easiest thing for me to retail is Solar Oil and Nail Envy. My best selling products and very very portable.

I just need a kick in the butt to actually do it :smack:

I want to get some Solar Oil to retail - what size do you get and how much do you sell it for?

I'm new to the mobile game and definitely interested in retail ideas!

I'm due to do a tanning course with Sienna X soon. I'm tempted by Nouvatan but like Sienna's range of retail products. But some of it's quite pricy, although they're a good size. Can any Sienna tanners out there let me know what their demand for these products is like?

Thanks x

i think just chatting about products is the best way just educating your clients about how to use products and to get them to use products aimed towards them - im only studying at college at the mo and retailing products is included in 1 of the units so as i was told, when you go to the dentist they discuss how to look after your teeth, when you go to get your eyes tested they talk about how to look after your eyes, but you go to get your haircut and they talk about your latest holiday??!!

I retail constantly. I regard it as part of the pro service. I educate my clients to use the best. Then I educate them to re-order through my websites, so they get a discount.
Everyone washes their hair, dries it, cleans and moisturises their face, and applies make-up, so they may as well buy it from me. They know I research a lot and use what I sell.

This might sound like a stupid question, but how do you know which products to retail? seeing as how some products are strictly only to be used by professionals. And how do you know what price to sell them at? I know they have a retail price, but some brands are flexible and only have a recommended retail price, and some are very strict about their retail prices.

Something I still do (I am daft :eek:) is that I occasionally miss the clues the clients give me. I just said goodbye to a client and the subject had got onto suncream. Why did I not give her a sample or tell her about what I sell? :zzz: It is about having a chat and not about selling and if they are already talking about it you have a natural opening.

Most people are scared of the client saying no. It is far ruder to decide for your client what she can or can't afford! There is nothing I sell that my clients can't afford. The art is in making people WANT what you sell.

I guess it depends on what your treatments are really:

For tans - moisturisers, mousse, extenders, mitts, scrubs
For nails - solar oil, cuticle oil, top coat, non acetone polish, files
Hair - shampoo, conditioner etc?

Anything for good home care!

I retail Dermalogica products and Jane Iredale make up. I find Dermalogica sells itself when it comes to cleanser, toner, moisturiser etc but I do have to work hard to convince some clients to try boosters, masques and body products.

I find exfoliators easy to sell when I am doing waxing strangely enough. If my client is having a leg wax I will start talking about exfoliation (face & body) and give them one of the products to apply to the back of their hand then compare it with the other one. That is usually enough to get them to buy some when they have seen the difference !

Since the recession I have really struggled to sell JI this may be because I no longer offer make up as a service but I have all the retail products at 50% off in my retail area and I rarely sell any of it, I think id struggle to give it away at the moment :lol:

I also started selling greetings cards to my clients and that has been very successful just from having a basket of cards on display. Also no effort required from me to sell it.

I retail Dermalogica products and Jane Iredale make up. I find Dermalogica sells itself when it comes to cleanser, toner, moisturiser etc but I do have to work hard to convince some clients to try boosters, masques and body products.

I find exfoliators easy to sell when I am doing waxing strangely enough. If my client is having a leg wax I will start talking about exfoliation (face & body) and give them one of the products to apply to the back of their hand then compare it with the other one. That is usually enough to get them to buy some when they have seen the difference !

Since the recession I have really struggled to sell JI this may be because I no longer offer make up as a service but I have all the retail products at 50% off in my retail area and I rarely sell any of it, I think id struggle to give it away at the moment :lol:

I also started selling greetings cards to my clients and that has been very successful just from having a basket of cards on display. Also no effort required from me to sell it.

Hi Juliette,

May I ask what exfoliation brand do you retail to clients for waxing? I am thinking of retailing exfoliation and moisturing products for my waxing clients.

I am already retailing solar oil to my manicure clients :)

Last edited:
Hi Juliette,

I am already retailing solar oil to my manicure clients :)

Thanks to everyone for adding to this thread:hug:
Mbzh, you are retailing solar oil, that's great, but what about the rest of the solar range? Your clients already know the oil is a great product, so share the secret to fabby skin to go with those perfect nails.
You just say, have I told you about the rest of the solar range? Then rave about how great YOU find it for YOUR skin:lol:
My own hair dresser is terrible at retail, she is an amazing hair dresser, I wouldn't ever let anyone else cut my hair, her scalp massage is to die for and every time I see her, she uses finishing products on my hair, I haven't got a clue as to what they are and the one time I asked her if I could buy some, she told me she had sold out, that she should really order some more in, it just flies of the shelf when she has it. :smack:
Yes I told her off, no she didn't make a note on my client card so she would remember to sell me it when she saw me again and NO she didn't have any in this time either:irked:
I'm going to have to take that lady in hand, can't have her going out of business can I, I'd go back to having a haystack for a hair do:Scared:
Once again geeks, keep the idea's flowing please:hug:

Retail was such a scary thought to me until I said the hell with it and gave it a go. Right now I only retail one item - Cuccio Lyte body butter - and my oh my why didn't I do this sooner!

One thing I think you should do when doing retail is I believe it needs to be a product you use. Either at home or during a service. I bought a large 32oz bottle [bogo sale] about six months ago of the small butters that I fell in love with. One currently lives on my counter at home and the other at my pedicure station.

I rave about it to my clients and walk around the salon with my bottle giving hand massages. I really do love this lotion, even if I wasn't in the business. So I think that's what also shines through.

Retail isn't so scary once you do something you actually use/believe in.

I made an order last week, got it Friday and the last of the order I made will be picked up tomorrow. Investment $50 for over 12 bottles. Profit: $120+

Thanks to everyone for adding to this thread:hug:
Mbzh, you are retailing solar oil, that's great, but what about the rest of the solar range? Your clients already know the oil is a great product, so share the secret to fabby skin to go with those perfect nails.
You just say, have I told you about the rest of the solar range? Then rave about how great YOU find it for YOUR skin:lol:
My own hair dresser is terrible at retail, she is an amazing hair dresser, I wouldn't ever let anyone else cut my hair, her scalp massage is to die for and every time I see her, she uses finishing products on my hair, I haven't got a clue as to what they are and the one time I asked her if I could buy some, she told me she had sold out, that she should really order some more in, it just flies of the shelf when she has it. :smack:
Yes I told her off, no she didn't make a note on my client card so she would remember to sell me it when she saw me again and NO she didn't have any in this time either:irked:
I'm going to have to take that lady in hand, can't have her going out of business can I, I'd go back to having a haystack for a hair do:Scared:
Once again geeks, keep the idea's flowing please:hug:

Thanks Susie,

I should start retailing more of the manicure or pedicure range to my clients!

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back