How would I achieve this updo?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bnc

Reaction score
Hi Everyone.

I'm doing my friend's wedding hair this weekend.
I've done lots of highly styled updos for weddings before (mostly Asian brides), but this needs to be quite loose and beachy looking so I'm just after some tips on how to achieve this look. My friend has thick, straight, black, shiny hair!

Thanks in advance!

:)

Attachments

• Purple-Wedding-Hair-Style-Up-do.jpg
    Purple-Wedding-Hair-Style-Up-do.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 32,628
Do loose curls -either big rollers or wand/straighteners then bit of backcombing in at the roots to give some height at the crown. Loosely pull the hair round to where the bun will sit and secure. Loosely twist the ponytail and roll it into the bun shape and pin into place.

Thanks. I was thinking the same so I think I'll be fine. What kind of products would take the shine out? I've heard salt spray mentioned here before..??

I've never used salt spray (where do people get it, I can never find it!) but I've heard it's really good - and helps with the wavy-ness.

most ranges do a salt spray, x

Cheers mm, I must just be not seeing them! :-/

Our salon uses label .m who have sea salt spray , Toni and guy salons stock this . Hope this helps !

Must admit I don't have loads to compare but I like the Tigi session salt spray xx

I found a great video on you tube let me see if i can find it

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Thanks everyone! :)

fudge does a salt spray too, or you could use a curl gel spray tigi does one. Gives a better beachy effect without too much product overload.

Hi Everyone.

I'm doing my friend's wedding hair this weekend.
I've done lots of highly styled updos for weddings before (mostly Asian brides), but this needs to be quite loose and beachy looking so I'm just after some tips on how to achieve this look. My friend has thick, straight, black, shiny hair!

Thanks in advance!

:)

hope this makes sense:
curl hair with rollers of straighteners, section of the front section from ear to ear so the parting is runs along the top of the head? and move out of your way,
also section off an inch perimeter section from the back of each ear to the nape - you should end up with an odd circle/triangle section loose at the back)
split this into 2 sections and tie in two pony tails above one another to the side you would like the bun.
re curl if neccesary and split each pony into 2 or 3,
tease the roots of each section and loosely pin up into place, leaving 2 peices out
then tease the rest of the hair you have previously sectioned off and place back into the side bun and loosely pin the curls up. before you bring the front ear to ear section back, add some backcombing at the crown to give lift before splitting the secions up to tease back into the bun, i realy hope this makes sense for you!!

I have used this technique so many times over, by also fishtailing some of the pony sections and teasing them out, i have had beautiful results!
This is the result of that technique using a few teased out and pulled fishtail plaits.
photo(4).JPG

hope this makes sense:
curl hair with rollers of straighteners, section of the front section from ear to ear so the parting is runs along the top of the head? and move out of your way,
also section off an inch perimeter section from the back of each ear to the nape - you should end up with an odd circle/triangle section loose at the back)
split this into 2 sections and tie in two pony tails above one another to the side you would like the bun.
re curl if neccesary and split each pony into 2 or 3,
tease the roots of each section and loosely pin up into place, leaving 2 peices out
then tease the rest of the hair you have previously sectioned off and place back into the side bun and loosely pin the curls up. before you bring the front ear to ear section back, add some backcombing at the crown to give lift before splitting the secions up to tease back into the bun, i realy hope this makes sense for you!!

I have used this technique so many times over, by also fishtailing some of the pony sections and teasing them out, i have had beautiful results!
This is the result of that technique using a few teased out and pulled fishtail plaits.
View attachment 14327
and another photo:
photo(5).JPG

Thanks for the replies!
It turned really well.
I'll post pics when I can :)

Latest posts

Back