How would you achieve this effect?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rachelt73

Reaction score
Help, I've only fairly recently started in nails and had a client ask if I can do this?

With all the ombre nails I've practiced so far (I work with Gelish) using sponging I just can't seem to get the smooth finish. Has this effect been achieved using mica powders perhaps or is it even something that can be achieved with gel polish?

Any tips so I can have a play around or guidance to a link in You Tube would really be appreciated please x

Attachments

• 946324_248386078635642_501696747_n-1.jpg
    946324_248386078635642_501696747_n-1.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 359
I would say this has been sponged but with 2 topcoats to achieve smooth Finnish maby try a finer sponge if that makes sense like a makeup sponge damp it slightly blend the colours but leave it out the lamp a little while so any moisture from the sponge has dryed then cure hope this helps

I did something similar using Shellac and mica mineral powder smoothed into 2nd cured colour coat, then Shellac top coat.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1368050811.497612.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1368050811.497612.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 409
It can be done with gel polish, I did something similar last year. Although due to the colours I did have to do the green before the pink, in my case Gelish Seafoam before Sugar n Spice.

I just used a small piece of general kitchen sponge (the ones with the green scourer on one side) and layered the pink on curing between each layer.

Will upload a pic tomorrow if you want?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Found it!

Attachments

• 41df80c556daba9f397c0037c2456b62.jpg
    41df80c556daba9f397c0037c2456b62.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 433
Thanks all, that's really helpful. Will have a play tomorrow :)

I did these toes a few days ago (I'm trying to insert an image and hope it works). You can see the fade in the background behind the black palm tree on the big toe. It has three colors (yellow, coral, and then hot pink). I used IBD's gel polish, but I have also done something similar with Shellac.

I use one coat of color (yellow in this case) on the entire toe and cure it. For my second color coat, I brushed on all three colors in their respective places on the big toe, but I did not make the colors actually touch each other - just come really close to each other. Then, with a detailing brush, I zigzag back and forth in the space where the two colors need to blend into each other, which sort of "pulls" the color from each side into the fade area. That's hard to describe, but I hope I did a good job of describing the technique. I don't seem to get as good results with fading one color into the next with a sponge, which is why I experimented with the small detail brush. Since I have good results with it, I keep doing it that way.

Attachments

• 390745_10201095881858085_1401559913_n.jpg
    390745_10201095881858085_1401559913_n.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 310
  • 428737_10201095908978763_591059272_n.jpg
    428737_10201095908978763_591059272_n.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 306
picture.php

i did this using pink shellac and then blue additives xx

[QUOTE=Tina love those!

I did these toes a few days ago (I'm trying to insert an image and hope it works). You can see the fade in the background behind the black palm tree on the big toe. It has three colors (yellow, coral, and then hot pink). I used IBD's gel polish, but I have also done something similar with Shellac.

I use one coat of color (yellow in this case) on the entire toe and cure it. For my second color coat, I brushed on all three colors in their respective places on the big toe, but I did not make the colors actually touch each other - just come really close to each other. Then, with a detailing brush, I zigzag back and forth in the space where the two colors need to blend into each other, which sort of "pulls" the color from each side into the fade area. That's hard to describe, but I hope I did a good job of describing the technique. I don't seem to get as good results with fading one color into the next with a sponge, which is why I experimented with the small detail brush. Since I have good results with it, I keep doing it that way.

Thanks Tina, that's a useful tip, I will give it a try! Have ordered some mica powders anyway (any excuse to have a play) and so will try both :) Those tootsies are beautiful by the way x

picture.php

i did this using pink shellac and then blue additives xx

These are lovely Souz. With any luck my Micas will arrive tomorrow and I can give it a go :) x

Souz, I like the look and want to try it your way. If I'm understanding correctly, first I paid the color coat (pink in your case) and cure it. Then, do you brush on a tiny amount of the pigment powder onto the top of the nail, and just blend it downwards toward the middle of the nail? I've not worked with pigments before, and I'll be trying it soon since my CND powders just arrived a few days ago and are begging me to start playing with them :)

I also want to give these a go.

I take it using additives is easier and less mess than sponging? It's one thing I have yet to try :)

Hi Rach, how did your ombre nails go?
Did they work?

Souz, I like the look and want to try it your way. If I'm understanding correctly, first I paid the color coat (pink in your case) and cure it. Then, do you brush on a tiny amount of the pigment powder onto the top of the nail, and just blend it downwards toward the middle of the nail? I've not worked with pigments before, and I'll be trying it soon since my CND powders just arrived a few days ago and are begging me to start playing with them :)

hiya yes you are correct in what you have said, just make sure you really scrub the pigment in, in this case i used quite abit to build up the colour on the end and then just lightly brushed it down the nail. x

Hi Rach, how did your ombre nails go?
Did they work?

Hi Claire, had a little play with the Micas on a couple of pops and fairly pleased with the results. Need to do them on myself though first before offering as I want to check there is no problem with early chipping/lifting etc.

Attachments

• P1010553.jpg
    P1010553.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 86
  • P1010554_2.jpg
    P1010554_2.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 73

Latest posts

Back