How would you create dip dye with extensions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

helen780cat

Reaction score
ok so i have a client who would like extensions but basically loves jessie j's hair - think this will be a popular request! i know you can get the dip dye clip ins but my question is to those more experianced hair dressers and extensionist what would be the best way of creating this look and how would you do it please :) - iam also asking for my self as ive been toying with the idea for a while

simple - just done mine. fit a flash section of colour underneath and then a second colour on top. razor out the second colour from 4-5 inches up - ta da!

You can buy dip dyed prebonded and wefts aswell

simple - just done mine. fit a flash section of colour underneath and then a second colour on top. razor out the second colour from 4-5 inches up - ta da!

Really?? But isn't that going to look quite fake? Anyways dip dying extensions is so easy especially with flashy colours. Lay out a garbage bag and jut paint on!

yep saw this done too and looked great :) x

Yep seen this done and looks great! x

No it does't look fake at all!!! This advice was given purely as the op seemed to want to create the look without dying the hair! At least this way the colour stay prominent throughout the fitting without the client needing to re-dye the hair. Would be interested to know where people are getting pre bonded dip dye from - of a decent quality x

where can i get dipdye pre-bonded from? also would love to see a pic if you do of that sounds fab!
i was thinking along those lines as she has past shoulder length hair and just putting half head underneath of purple but thought that would look fake :S i would need to add some of her colour in too ......
i wouldnt mind dyeing the extensions if it came too it just woundered if there was an easier way :) - i get my hair from hair planet and it does say not to dye them so would i need to get better hair say from lush-us? - ive heard so many good reveiws about them im thinking about giving them a go but just means putting my prices up slightly :(

Hi how do you find razor ing extensions? I did I once with a brand new razor and after a week my friend said the were frizzy an matting she used all the correct aftercare. It put me right off. I shatter them with my scissors now. Like your dip dye suggestion by the way. It's great to get different ideas and try them out xx

Yeah guess it just sounded odd to me as I've never done it. Here are my own that I dip dyed while in my hair. Wanted to try it a week before they were due to be replaced! Great to try on the extensions then if it's something you're not sure you'll like.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1336144098.060462.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1336144098.060462.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 4,929
Yeah guess it just sounded odd to me as I've never done it. Here are my own that I dip dyed while in my hair. Wanted to try it a week before they were due to be replaced! Great to try on the extensions then if it's something you're not sure you'll like.

they look fab hun!!! x

i always razor my extensions u need to makes them look so much better, i dont like to razor in layers coz takes away from the bulk but always feather the front, and with dip dye av wanted to know this.. with lighter shades try colouring them ur self but with dark extensions snazzyz one sounds one for trying x

Ive applied a mixture of blonde extensions (613, 22, 16) to hair coloured down to a level 7. Looked like ombre effect, really lovely. Loads of clients started asking for it after that. ( I was the ginnuea pig! haha)
xxx

only pre bonded extensions I know of are by foxy. 16" and 20" nail or stick tip
black and red
hair planet do wefts is a wide range of dip dye

Beauty works does a lot of different colours.

If I were to be using blonde extensions that I was going to dye the clients own hair colour (and leave the ends to create the dip dye look) would you dye first and then fit them or fit and dye once in?
I'm trying out in Friday and I can't decide which way round to do it.
Her hair is already quite long so I would have to measure it to get the right length of her own colour on the extensions.
Steph x

Don't put a colour on the extensions if you and not qualified to do so.

If you can't get her what she wants you'll have to tell her.

You are not insured and won't understand colours why would you want to risk your business?

Oh it's ok, it's my mother in law lol plus my cousin is doing the colouring and she is a qualified hairdresser :)
Really just asking which way round to do it is best x

What's the clients colour?
The bond on the extension will be a different colour to the hair.
I've not tried doing my own but i think you would be better getting the right colour extensions and breaching the ends. Make sure you buy good quality hair

Latest posts

Back