How would you go from red to brown?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louiser

Reaction score
My hair at the min is quite a bright red but I'd like it brown. The thing is I want it just brown with no reddy tones to it. Some one suggested I should go for a mid/ash brown where as I thought something more dark/chesnut would cover it! Does anyone know the best way to tackle this?

Thank you x x x

My hair at the min is quite a bright red but I'd like it brown. The thing is I want it just brown with no reddy tones to it. Some one suggested I should go for a mid/ash brown where as I thought something more dark/chesnut would cover it! Does anyone know the best way to tackle this?

Thank you x x x

I think you'd better wait for Becki to come online :green:

From my experience though, red is a bugger to get rid of, it shows up under every colour you put on top of it!

I know but I'm skint! I don't want to put more red on to cover the roots. I'm trying to go for interviews and I don't want my hair to put people off! I can only just afford a fiver for a box of dye!

Thank you everyone x x x

if you want to do it yourself with no red, use a mens color, most hair colors lift (then deposit color, often creating the red tinge) mens ranges don't do that, they are very ash.

Thank you, I will have a look x x x

Thank you, I will have a look x x x

PMSL at you having to go through the checkout at Boots with a box of 'Just for Men'

PMSL at you even more coz I'm imagining you with an unnaturally dark mop-top like all the 60y/o guys who colour their hair.... :lol:

Sorry louiser, I shall behave now....I hope you get it all sorted hun :hug:

Hehe! My 1cm fringe still looks rediculous (sp) so I can't look any more daft!

As a former hairdresser, and a person who has been varying shades of auburn for 20yrs.... who has tried on 3 occasions to change the colour.....
I can tell you, it's HARD to get rid of red COMPLETELY. In some cases, impossible.

You can go to the hairdressers, where they'll use a dark brown with ash in it, to dye over it. BUT I have not once seen a case where the red didn't peek through at some point. Either right off the bat... or after a few shampoos.
When mine was done, the brown was so dark, it was near black.. and the red still peeked through, and the brown was so darn dark, I looked horrid. Much too dark for my skin-tone. They ended up adding highlights around my face to soften it...
Guess what happened? Copper came through.:rolleyes:

OR you can strip/bleach it, and remove all colour and dye over that.
BUT that tends to be very damaging and drying to the hair.
And that is MOST DEFINATELY NOT something you should attempt on your own.

So, most likely, you'll have to accept that some will peek through. At least a bit, depending on what shade your red is now, and what your natural colour is underneath.
But if you're determined and patient, after several colourings with an ash brown... it should be gone... at least in look.
But be careful if it hasn't all grown out if you add blonde, the red will rear it's head and show copper.

Since I have copper highlights naturally, for me, it was impossible.
I guess it's just as well, I make a better red-head than anything else :lol:

Thank you! I'll have a play and hope for the best I think, I can't look any worse than I already do I suppose! x x x

do you mean you have dyed your hair red? (as opposed to being ginger but the pc term is red). i'm aurburn but i think ppl say red so not to offend!!:lol:

i used to try to dye my 'red' hair all the time, but now i embrace the ginger. in fact i love it!!

It is dyed red. I am naturally mousy but despite being 19 I have greys so I dye it! Its quite bright at the mo! x x x

ask becki when she comes on - but i wouldnt attempt to colour it yourself i did mine and ballsed it up big time - professionals only for my hair from now on xx

:o You guys :green:

Well firstly you MUST go to a professional .

The red tones need neutralising with ash tones which are green on the colour star this is possible and achievable by a skillful and knowledgeable stylist .

But don't buy just for men lol it is specifically designed to cover white and would not have the desired result on pigmented hair,Rio springs to mind pmsl :lol:

It also depends on what you want,a darker ,shade,any tones present ie violet or gold.

If you can give me a better idea of what you want i can give you a little back ground info to use during your consultation to ensure you get what you want.

Hth's x

Oh btw "mahogany" is a base .shade red tone and gold tone wich would be very acheivable as you would only need to add the gold,and depth if you wanted to go a little darker x

do you mean you have dyed your hair red? (as opposed to being ginger but the pc term is red). i'm aurburn but i think ppl say red so not to offend!!:lol:

i used to try to dye my 'red' hair all the time, but now i embrace the ginger. in fact i love it!!

Hey we can skip to the ginger refuge together!!!!:lol:

Louiser why not check out salons that are looking for models for trainees? They are fully supervised, told which colour to use and it mega cheap, and sometimes even free. This is what I do when I am mega skint. It takes a lot longer, but hey all that pampering for virtually nowt ... and no risk of your hair going some terrible disaster colour.

Sass,this would be classed as colour correction and therefore only level three students should be doing this,it's unlikely you would get it at training rate as they are fully qualified, hth's xx

Well I've had my hair all sorts of colours done by students at level 2, could be worth a call, they can only say no!

That's part of the problem Sass lol,when they do things they don't have the knowledge and skill to do,it doesn't work that well,that's when peeps think red can't be covered and neutralised but it can :lol:

It's like someone qualifies in mani and pedi putting enhancements on,it doesn't work :wink2: and there starts another myth lol x

Latest posts

Back