How your laws work..

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In reply to BeautyNails (wouldn't let me quote your msg):

I agree with you about the product suppliers not selling to the public, but have a look on eBay. Theres everything from steamers to IPL machines, and I'm sure they don't just sell to professionals.

BTW, which insurance company are you with? I'm with elders and they didn't ask about my qualifications.

Wow IPL mahines on ebay, that's rediculous. That's why I hardly ever look on there any more.

My insurance is with CGU.

Washington State:
1800 hours for cosmetology-all testing is done on computers- the students do not have to do hands on demos anymore.
600 hours for nail tech
don't know about estitician

We NOW get inspected once a year. I have worked this industry for 25 years and it has only been in the last 4 years that the cosmetology health boards have been coming down hard on yearly inspections.
I have never seen a inspector all these years until the last few.
I love it!!
I am seeing MMA salons shut down because of non proper licensing, nor any proper sanitation.
We have to have all containers, under the wash basins, hair trash cans, wastebaskets by the nail tables all covered with snap on lids.
All licenses have to be on display to the public
clean combs are in a separate closed container marked "sterilized implements"
All closed containers have to be marked.."Towels", "Trash" etc.
All cupboards have to be labeled,
Facial tables have to be sprayed down with alcohol after each client and then a sheet or cover needs to be put down
paper towels or linen towels under the head
Wash basins have to be spayed down in between each client with a sanitizer.
All dirty combs, clips, clipper blades have to be in a disinfectant jar with a disinfectant that is EPA approved.
Drawers have to be cleaned out daily so hair does not collect.
No hair even on the washer and dryer in the salon
All soaps and towel have to be of a single use pump.
All cabinets that contain chemicals need to be marked "Haz and/or chemical materials"
All nail products need to be marked of what is in the container.
Proof of insurance when asked.

LOL a new rule that just came down on us this month from the health boards...
your curling iron must be sanitized between each client!!!:rolleyes:
What a bunch of goofy ducks..that one should go in the toliet!
Do they not realize that our curling irons get over 400 degrees and nothing can survive on them?
On top of that...has anyone sprayed a very hot curling iron with sanitizer? :Scared:
I do elderly ladies on Friday , allll day long..I can not stop, unplug my curling iron, let it cool down , spay it , wait 10 mins and then plug it back in.
I would need to get 7 diff irons !!:eek:

And last but not the least..This one got to me also.

We use to have boxes of files for each client that they either took home with them and brought them back or they left them at the salon with thier name on them. These files were their own personal ones and not used on anyone else. We sanitize them between each use.

The cosmetology board has now declared that we cannot not do that anymore. But we are still able to use sanitize-able files

We have to do the same thing with our files too, I think it might have something to do with our own health as Nail Technicians. The curling iron thing is a bit out of hand..

Not understanding this..
For our own health?
If we use only the customers files and sanitize them before and after use..What better way of not spreading anything to other clients. Eh?

But we can use the same sanitize-able file on every client! ??

Oh I guess I misunderstood.. Here some people don't disinfect but just reuse files on the same person.. They made a law stating that that can be used on the same person over and over, but still need to be disinfected..

LOL a new rule that just came down on us this month from the health boards...
your curling iron must be sanitized between each client!!!:rolleyes:
What a bunch of goofy ducks..that one should go in the toliet!
Do they not realize that our curling irons get over 400 degrees and nothing can survive on them?
On top of that...has anyone sprayed a very hot curling iron with sanitizer? :Scared:
I do elderly ladies on Friday , allll day long..I can not stop, unplug my curling iron, let it cool down , spay it , wait 10 mins and then plug it back in.
I would need to get 7 diff irons !!:eek:

And last but not the least..This one got to me also.
Idaho would like us to do this also, I'm working very hard at getting on our state board so that maybe I can bring a little reason back....MORONS! A few years ago our board wanted us to wash- with soap and water- then immerse our L & P brushes in disinfecting solution between each client. Took me a couple of years to get that undone but I did it. Now I'm trying to take a more direct approach to our governing board:eek::) We'll see what happens.

Idaho would like us to do this also, I'm working very hard at getting on our state board so that maybe I can bring a little reason back....MORONS! A few years ago our board wanted us to wash- with soap and water- then immerse our L & P brushes in disinfecting solution between each client. Took me a couple of years to get that undone but I did it. Now I'm trying to take a more direct approach to our governing board:eek::) We'll see what happens.

My gosh, the brushes!! Boy I would be going through a lot of brushes.. That can't be good for them, especially with a disinfectant that is up to par for the regulations, you would think they would have to invent a special disinfectant..

Latest posts

Back