How's school different in uk?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashleybstarr

Reaction score
I read in a lot of threads here people talk a lot about what course they did with a particular product line. I was wondering if in the UK you train with just one product and then you are a nail tech or if you have to do some other kind of schooling too? Do you get certidfied or are you only certified in the one product line?

Here in Canada we learn whatever product lines the teacher likes, ususally multiple ones, over about 300 hours of practicle and book work. We use the Milady book for both nails and esthetics. We dont get certified in one product line, you just use whatever product you like best and you can use whatever ones you want. There is extra education for partiuclar lines if you want to do that too. When I was in school the teacher taught us how to do gel, acrylic, febre-glass/silk as well as regular maincures, spa manicures, parafin and all that stuff. Then we had people from particular lines come in and train us with their prodcuts as well.
We also have to learn chemistry, anatomy,electricity, skin disorders and the nervous system. Then thats all you are allowed to do. If you want to learn waxing you have to take the full esthetics course which teaches all the nail tech stuff plus waxing, massage,facials, body wraps, lash tinting and perming, even permanent make-up and full body piercing.
You used to have to be certified through a goverment course which I took to be a full esthetician, but now the cosmatology assocaition governs itself and they test you after you have passed your school practicle and written exams, you no longer have to be licensed which is dumb. I got licenced when they were still doing it and I kept mine because I worked darn hard for it!
Here are a couple links if anyone is interested.

Vancouver Esthetics School | Beauty School and Make Up Training in Vancouver BC
Cosmetology Industry Association of British Columbia - CIABC

It works a bit like that in Australia also.

We go to college and do nail technology or beauty therapy, I have combined both courses. We learn all the sanitisation, hygiene, nail/skin disorders etc, understanding of the skin and nail structures as well as manicure pedi, gel acrylic. In beauty we also do waxing, facials, tinting, massage, makeup, body treatments. We get trained with whatever the teachers prefers and can get the college to supply. We're using creative at the moment ( we have to supply our own products for gel & acrylic though). I can buy any brand from the beauty suppliers though, we don't have to trained with that company. We do get sales reps come out to do product training with us also for specific brands.

To be considered "fully qualified" in you need a Certificate 4 in beauty therapy or Cert 3 Nail technology.

There is no licencing regulations here at all. Anyone could walk in off the street and open a beauty salon with no training at all. It's not fair after we pay a fortune to train and someone comes along and does this, charging half the price off someone qualified and giving nails a bad rep with their dodgy work, but that's another story altogether.

The beauty suppliers will not sell to anyone who's not qualified or training, but we all know their are other places people like this can get supplies.

Also we are expected but not required(at my college) to find work experience in a salon while doing our training so we can get more practice with different clients.

It works a bit like that in Australia also.

We go to college and do nail technology or beauty therapy, I have combined both courses. We learn all the sanitisation, hygiene, nail/skin disorders etc, understanding of the skin and nail structures as well as manicure pedi, gel acrylic. In beauty we also do waxing, facials, tinting, massage, makeup, body treatments. We get trained with whatever the teachers prefers and can get the college to supply. We're using creative at the moment ( we have to supply our own products for gel & acrylic though). I can buy any brand from the beauty suppliers though, we don't have to trained with that company. We do get sales reps come out to do product training with us also for specific brands.

To be considered "fully qualified" in you need a Certificate 4 in beauty therapy or Cert 3 Nail technology.

There is no licencing regulations here at all. Anyone could walk in off the street and open a beauty salon with no training at all. It's not fair after we pay a fortune to train and someone comes along and does this, charging half the price off someone qualified and giving nails a bad rep with their dodgy work, but that's another story altogether.

The beauty suppliers will not sell to anyone who's not qualified or training, but we all know their are other places people like this can get supplies.

Also we are expected but not required(at my college) to find work experience in a salon while doing our training so we can get more practice with different clients.

This is very similar to the UK, no licencing regulations. Also, the training alternatives are college or product specific courses through a manufacturer. So, the way I chose to do it was to do the Creative Foundation Course, followed by some 1:1 training and a skill-building course all in L+P. I then decided to add Gel to my service menu so did the Brisa Conversion course also with Creative. Other manufacturers offer product courses as well.

It's really different here to the States and Canada, hence you will see threads from UK Techs wondering if the can buy certain products when not trained by particular companies......

hth's

Im sorry you in Oz are having those proublems too but I know if we get enough info out there and really show our qualifications, people who really want the services and want the best will go looking for just that. Im glad your standards are high in Oz too. My husband to be has just re-located here to Canada from NSW and one day I would like to spend some time over there and work as well. Do you think I should ,once there, take up some sort of training/testing to show I have both qualified in Canada and Australia? Or will bringing my certificates/diplomas and work history be enough?
Thanks

Ashley

Im sorry you in Oz are having those proublems too but I know if we get enough info out there and really show our qualifications, people who really want the services and want the best will go looking for just that. Im glad your standards are high in Oz too. My husband to be has just re-located here to Canada from NSW and one day I would like to spend some time over there and work as well. Do you think I should ,once there, take up some sort of training/testing to show I have both qualified in Canada and Australia? Or will bringing my certificates/diplomas and work history be enough?
Thanks

Ashley

I would think that showing your qualifications would be enough. It would be up to the suppliers whether they would serve you or not, but it shouldn't be a problem considering you have trained somewhere like Canada through a registered training or school or similar.

Maybe you could contact someone like the Australian Professional Fingernail Association (APFA - The Australian Association for Professional Nail Practitioners) or Association of Professional Aesthicians of Australia (You have reached Australia's Premier Professional Beauty Association - The Association of Professional Aestheticians of Australia (APAA)) Sorry don't know how to post links. They should be able to give you some good advice on the matter. It wouldn't hurt to consider joining them when you are here, again they will be able to tell you if you would need to be Australian qualified to do this.

Hope this help anyway, and sorry for getting of track with the original thread.

Thanks Ange,
Ill look those up and maybe see if I cant find some Aussie boards with info too.

Ashley

Latest posts

Back