Husband of Nail Tech

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sara Satchell

Reaction score
Hi All,

My Wife Sara does Nails which to me and most clients i have spoken with have said are great and look good.

her problem is confidence she always is very critical of her work and also undercharges most clients, because of this what can be done to overcome this and show her she is doing(In my humble nail biting opinion) she is worth more and doing a great Job?

Ray

Sara Satchell said:
Hi All,

My Wife Sara does Nails which to me and most clients i have spoken with have said are great and look good.

her problem is confidence she always is very critical of her work and also undercharges most clients, because of this what can be done to overcome this and show her she is doing(In my humble nail biting opinion) she is worth more and doing a great Job?

Ray
I know how she feels! This is the exact same problem I have. I did my sister's nails at the weekend (I'm a trainee). She went back to work yesterday, showed them to a regular acrylic wearer, who said that they were great and she'd be trying this system (gel). However, when I applied said nails, I got very flustered, and felt that I could never be a tech. I kept asking my sister if she was sure they were ok, she liked them, but I still didn't beleive that I could do it. I was the same with my make-up artist course. People kept saying that I was good, but I didn't (and still at times) don't feel that to be the case.

What your wife needs is lots of encouragement. Don't be negative (such as everyone makes mistakes sometimes - this one brought me close to the noose!) be positive. When she points out something that is bad about a nail, point out 2 or 3 things that are fantastic about it! That's what I need, and I'll bet it'll help her too! Certainly shouldn't do any harm!

From Teena B

Teena, you are so right i will tell her, when she starts speaking to me after i have hacked her account and posted messages without permission, lol

Hiya Ray,
I think confidence comes with each set of nails you do, So the more work sara does the better this will become. Undercharging is always a problem and i would always say charge full price even if its someone who is close to you.
What other trade would people say how i won't charge much for doing that job.
Hope you don't get in too much trouble for posting this :rolleyes:
Good Luck

I know how she feels....it's all to do with confidence and at the moment I am exactly like her....after I do a set of nails, I feel as though I could have done better and because of the length of time taken to do a set I feel as though I should have to charge less. So tell her she's not alone...we'll all get there in the end!

I can relate to how she feels. I now charge my full price except if I take ages through no fault of my own otherwise people just don't appreciate what they are getting. My confidence is boosted when I get new clients who have had their nails done elsewhere and they are so disgusting - often very thick with varying shades of yellow. That reassures me cause I know I would never give a client nails that didn't enhance them.

I too always feel that i could do better, but then i think tha tmakes us better techs. if you are always looking for perfection then you aren't afraid to learn more and better the standard of work you do.

It takes ages to build up that confidence, then it takes seconds to destroy it. Being new to this means that if things go wrong you automatically think its you, where as 80% of the time it isn't. Tell her to keep at it and look on here for help and advice, this site is my bible, and had got me through good and bad times.

Hope she appreciattes your support as this always helps when doing somthing like this. I'm sure she will forgive you for this.:)

Being a perfectionist is GOOD.
Being critical of ones work is GOOD
Having and being perceived to have no confidence is BAD.

Clients pick up on this lack of confidence and it is not good for your reputation or the client's confidence in YOU. They hone in on this lack of confidence like a beacon and then every porblem is your fault. They complain, you give in to it by doing freebies etc, your confidence takes another dive ... the problem does not go away.

If you are doing competent work that comes back to you with minimal or no problems then you can be confident that your work is as worthy as the next guy's to be charged for.

If you are just not always happy because the finished article is not perfection in YOUR eyes then try harder next time, but it doesn't mean your work is bad .... just not as perfect as you want it to be estheticaly.
I would say that 90% of the nails I see coming out of salons are not perfect esthetically, but that does not mean the customer is unhappy or dissatisfied ... they are not looking for the same things you are.

This confidence thing is important! Come on Sarah and charge what you are worthy of receiving and work on perfection for every client.

Sara Satchell said:
..... when she starts speaking to me after i have hacked her account and posted messages without permission, lol
:( THE JURY IS STILL OUT ON THIS ONE!!!!!!

Advice to Ray - Get your own screen name!!!

bless him
dont be too hard on him ;-)
if you are anything like me its the hubbies we take everything out on.
my husband to me is my critic if he says my nails are good then they are good.
if your husband says the same then he means it.
use him like i use mine..........ie do nails on him he can soak them off straight away.....but dont tell his mates.
p.s keep him sweet cause you need his wallet............to indulge on nail products

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sara, don't be too hard on him - he's only done it 'cause he loves you and does not want to see you be so hard on yourself.

I agree with the other comments - we are all critical of our work. If I ever loose that feeling I will give up!! I strive for perfection and of course I don't achieve it but I know my clients are happy with my work.

I was a qualified tech for 4 years before I let myself loose on the public because I thought wasn't good enough. In that time I did my own nails and those of my friends for NOTHING!!!! :eek: It cost me a fortune and my hubby, like yours, always tried to boost my confidence (and secretly hoped to re-coup some of the money I had spent :) )

I do agree the he should get his own screen name!!! Tell him to be brave and not to hide behind yours!!!!

Good luck!!!

Latest posts

Back